Westworld

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not seen the movie, but I saw a trailer for this TV series at the cinema. How great is it that we're getting high-budget TV series like this!

Is the old movie worth watching?

Reaction score
Yea is it mate if you've not seen it. Very Dated as it's 1973. Yul Brynner is fantastic in it

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah mentioned in the TV shows thread a bit back. looks like it should be great. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
what !!! yer kidding right.

Oh wait up,,, yer a modern youngster with no background in the classics. Youth of today mutter mutter. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

It pre-dates me by 11 years, so no harm in checking ;).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was an ancient 22 years of age when Westworld was released.

And, er, I've not seen it :blush:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I remember the original very well. :)

I enjoyed it because, at that time, it was something very different. Now, of course, it will seem very tame by modern standards and modern technology. Everything has got to be judged by the standards of the time that it was released.

:)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Not the best movie ever made but when you think of the reality in 1973 the concepts it portrays were pretty darn amazing.
Have a look at Minder or the Sweeney for a grasp of what life was like if your not old enough to have been alive in 1973.

Also it was a ground breaking film technically.

Digital image processing
Westworld was the first feature film to use digital image processing. Crichton originally went to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, but after learning that two minutes of animation would take nine months and cost $200,000, he contacted John Whitney Sr., who in turn recommended his son John Whitney Jr. The latter went to Information International, Inc., where they could work at night and complete the animation both faster and much cheaper.[15] John Whitney, Jr. digitally processed motion picture photography at Information International, Inc. to appear pixelized in order to portray the Gunslinger android's point of view.[4] The approximately 2 minutes and 31 seconds worth of cinegraphic block portraiture was accomplished by color-separating (three basic color separations plus black mask) each frame of source 70 mm film images, scanning each of these elements to convert into rectangular blocks, then adding basic color according to the tone values developed.[16] The resulting coarse pixel matrix was output back to film.[17] The process was covered in the American Cinematographer article "Behind the scenes of Westworld"[18] and in a 2013 New Yorker online article.[19]

:cool:

Ask a Question