Well, that's that then ...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
HA, bet you thought I had given up ... :p

NOPE! ... just another update.

Nearly all sorted ... just the nVidia drivers to go and that should be it. 'Tis when the sparks may fly again ... :D ... This time we have the right 'partitions' and one is for back-ups. ;)

Don't know why SuSE only uses two 'cos nearly everybody I have spoken to say I need three at least ... maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to details, dunno. Mandriva 2006 defaults to using three, but not if you tell it to use existing partitions from SuSE. :rolleyes:

Never mind, learning all the time, at least I learn from my mistakes ... but not always, repeat mistakes are annoying.

One strange thing ... I haven't messed with the font for Firefox yet, oh I will, but for some reason the are easier to read ... I can even read tahoma, although it looks nothing like it should ... nothing was changed apart from a clean install, and I did that the first time round.

I've installed all the fonts I need, and some for good measure, so we'll see how it goes after I get the nVidia drivers in ... you never know, that could make all the difference, and no I did not have the nVidia drivers the last time.

I have a lovely little program installed, called gkerllm, yeah, they all have funny names, anyway, it monitors every sensor you have including your temps ... well either they are wrong, and I need to offset the figure or they are right and I'm running a tad warm @ 48c idle ... when running FaD it bops up-to 56c ... hmmm, me no like that. Like I said, this program monitors a whole host of useful & useless information but I like the weather forecast for the day ... it updates every so often and tells me how nice a day I've missed. Nice toy, I like it.

DVD playback is all sorted with the addition of the right 'codecs' ;) and play is rather good for this TFT, no lag or jerkiness or ghosting and plays along no problem while you do a few other things. Must go and borrow a few DVDs off me brother.

I haven't played any MP3s yet, I only have one CD of MP3s on it and I can't find the thing. :rolleyes:
But again, I shouldn't have any problems as anything that may be needed is already installed. I'll let you know when I find the CD.

There is a whole host of what I would call "skinning tools" but are actually a normal install for any Linux Distro ... you can change anything you want, from one Icon to a whole different desktop theme complete with err, very annoying sounds, well for me that one was, but they turn of and of course you can use your own, even voice files.

A lot of the "tools" are right at your beck-&-call but some, like getting the email program to open FF from an email link is like looking for gold-dust ... and you know what, I can't remember where it is now. :DDuh! ... good job I've already got it sorted. :D

Installing software is a cinch, just go to the 'package' manager and type in the name of the program, tick the install box then the install button, and your done. Installing a program not on the package list is just as easy ... and I'll have a go at that with OpenOffice 2 :cool:
Installing updates is nearly the same, only you use the 'update' manager, it's just as simple. All "dependency's" are taken care of for you ... by that I mean, I a program needs another program to to make it work, then you'll get that installed also. Neat. :cool:

Linux HAS come a long way and is well worth a look at ... now I'm no games player, and yes there are a few games out there that NEED Windows, and all its junk, (oops, getting to sound like a Linux Dude) ... well, what if I tell you that you CAN play HL2 and ... hang on, I'll find out what games and post a list for you. Unless one of our more illustrious Linux people can fill me in on that one. :thumb:

There are an absolute load of Linux websites out there, and a good few that have catered for the liks on me, simple and easy to understand, a few, talk a different toung and there is such a thing as Linux speak ... I may learn that next ... but on the whole very informative.

Will Linux replace Windows ... hmmm, does buttered bread always fall butter side down? ... I really don't know ... for me, yes hand on heart, for me I aint gonna be using Windows for my main system ... I even registered, look at my sig', and you'll find me at http://counter.li.org/ ... ;)

TTFN

Ask a Question