K

Karen

Everytime I start windows, I get two purple windows. One
is drvmCDB and the other is diagnostic traces. I can
close both of them and everything works fine, but I would
like for these windows to close automatically or to not
show at all. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Solution for DrvmCDB Windows Opening On Start Up...

We found it to be something wrong with the installation of Sonic programs, specifically, Sonic's RecordNow! and related programs from Sonic. Uninstalling these programs fixed the problems. Reinstallation of the software (so we could burn CDs) has not caused it to happen again. Something just needed to be reset in the registry or the drvmcdb.sys or drvmcdb.ini file.

Sonic RecordNow! comes bundled with Dell and HP systems, not sure what other systems bundle it.

Hope this helps somebody on the planet at some time in the near or distant future.

Chris Powell
Glendale, AZ, USA

Reaction score
hi, i have the same problem as the above, where everytime i load windows, i the diagnostic traces come up and DRVMCDB windows pop up,

is there anyother way to get rid of them other to remove the program as i no lnonger have the installation disc
would copying all the program files onto a dvd then uninstalling the program, off the computer the copying them from the dvd back on to the computer work, could i still use it or would i have to go out and buy the installation cd?

Reaction score
liam101uk said:
hi, i have the same problem as the above, where everytime i load windows, i the diagnostic traces come up and DRVMCDB windows pop up,

is there anyother way to get rid of them other to remove the program as i no lnonger have the installation disc
would copying all the program files onto a dvd then uninstalling the program, off the computer the copying them from the dvd back on to the computer work, could i still use it or would i have to go out and buy the installation cd?

The way I described above is the only way I know. I'm sure there is a registry hack somewhere that would be quick and simple, but I'm not much of a registry guy, so . . .

Maybe try getting in touch with Sonic themselves. They might have a known solution.

Reaction score
DRVM CDB screen

I too have this problem,, but do not have the disc for Sonic. It came with my Dell and I guess they dont send it.. So is there another way to get rid of those two little screen without uninstalling SONIC ??????????
Since it came with the Dell, what would I do to get it reinstalled ??? Since I dont have the disc. ????????????
Being a novice at this stuff I rather lost.

Reaction score
Get Shut!!

unfortunatly mate, after having this problem myself, the easiest and fastest way to get rid of the preoblem is to remove all the sonic software, to be honest with you it's the best thing you'll ever do...

i lost some baby picture because that software encoded the cd or something and made it so you could only view the pictures through the sonic software..

once you delete it, you can aquire newer and better software,

quick heads up: try: CdBurnerXp Professional, grear piece of software, had no problems with it at all, and it's free click here

i do not condone, copying DVD's however if you want to backup precious files from a cd/dvd or movies i would recommend this

dvd shrink

enjoy!! ps, both are freeware programs....

Reaction score
Good Solution...

Hey, I got that problem too. The safe way to deal with it is too move the file "ssdiag" from c:windows/system32... just cut and paste to other folder if you don't want to delete it for safety. That will do you good and save you some frustration. Good luck!

(can u believe that I registered just so I could write this here? man...)

Reaction score
Oh, and for people who don't have all the CD's from Dell, CALL THEM AND ASK THEM TO SEND YOU ALL THE DISCS AND DRIVERS AND UTILITIES CD's COZ FOR SURE YOU PAID FOR THOSE!! I got mine... they sent it free to me!!

Reaction score
OK here is the fix after I BSO'D for two days straight. DO NOT MOVE THE DrvmCDB driver from the Windows/System32 folder.

Go to C:\WINDOWS in that folder look for ssdiag there should be two items. Move them to a junk folder. Reboot and the two pop ups go away. They are doing nothing but annoying you. THey serve no purpose.

Reaction score
To remove the DrvmCDV and Diagnostc windows, unfortunaltely I deleted the DrvmCDB files and now the system crashes.
What can I do? Should I reinstall Windows and so loose all may data? Can anybody help me?

Reaction score
You don't need a fresh install. Do a repair of windows. Boot from disk and when the option to do a repair or reinstall say yes. You cannot boot without the DvrmCDB files. You should be good to go. In my situtation I did not delete the files but put them in another folder. Once I got to the repair console I was able to put the files back, however I continured with the repair of windows. Once you reinstall you will need to do all the updates since they will be wiped out. If your install disk (I assume you are using XP) is not SP2 then install that first. The updates will take more time than fixing the problem.

Reaction score
f4lcon_boy said:
Hey, I got that problem too. The safe way to deal with it is too move the file "ssdiag" from c:windows/system32... just cut and paste to other folder if you don't want to delete it for safety. That will do you good and save you some frustration. Good luck!

(can u believe that I registered just so I could write this here? man...)

(so did I, just so I could say "Thanks!" )

Reaction score
I fixed this today, with the help of a Dell tech. Go to start, run, then type in msconfig, and go to the startup menu. Find all of the sonic programs, there are two; sgtray, and ssdiag. Uncheck both of them, and restart. It should boot up without those diagnostic windows from the Sonic program.

I hope this helps.
Jeff

Last edited:
Reaction score
still a problem....

Thanks Jeff57, and others...however.....

The files described were not found in my Windows/system32 folder. I found ssdiag in another folder tho, and moved it. Didn't work.

As Jeff described, I looked through my startup folder and found no references to those files.
My intention now is to uninstall that crappy Sonic software and be done with it. It's my fault...I had many problems with that software in the past and don't know what the heck I was thinking when I re-installed it.

I also get an occasional error blabbering something about InCd which I believe is connected to that software mess as well.

I was standing in the park wondering why frisbees got bigger as they get closer. Then it hit me.

Reaction score
I SUCESSFULLY HELPED MYSELF WITH THIS:

I have a brand new Inspiron. I bought it with Windows XP. I do not recall to have had the problem of the drvmCDB and diagnostic traces windows until I came with the idea to UPGRADE my XP to Windows Vista Ultimate last week. By doing so I lost my Dell guarantee for technical support. They just wanted me to uninstall Vista (no way, it took me so long!!), so, despite being a total dummy for computer stuff I decided to try by my own and I found all your helpful comments in this forum (I have just signed in because I think I discovered something that may help others). Neither Dell nor Microsoft helped me. Actually Dell should have done that because it was all Dell problem (Sonic).

Well, enough bla,bla. Here is what happened. I spent almost 2 hours searching for "ssdiag" but I did not find anywhere you suggested. Actually, I used the Vista search and nothing. Suddenly I just tried this: Opened the TASK MANAGER and then "processes" tab. I just stared to see the movements on the "Memory (Private Working Set)" with nothing but only the two creepy windows opened (I did not do anything special prior to this, I did not do any change at msconfig neither the antivirus, etc.). Then I found this "Image name": "DIADiag.exe". I click it with the mouse and went to "properties" and found it was a Sonic file. I "opened file location" by another click to the icon (you can also get the location file by selecting so once in "properties"). I went to the file (somewhere in Windows) and moved to a dummy file I have created to keep a record of all my endless updates and patches due to my funny idea to upgrade to Vista. Then I restarted the computer and those awful little windows were absolutely gone and the Roxio burning software still running.

I do not know why I got a different name of the file controlling these windows, perhaps because of my upgrade to Vista or due to the "patch" I had to download thereafter... But I think this will help for anyone that cannot accept to "reinstall all your system" and that does not have "ssdiag" on their files.

Let me know if I helped. This is the very first time I do something on my own regarding computers...

Margarita

Reaction score
Just joined to say thanks to all for various suggestions, simple fix with pcx patch from Sonic....
Peter

Ask a Question