WebDAV and PKI certificate authentication issues

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an IIS 6.0 WebDAV server running in which I have my Web Folders secured using SSL and requires PKI certificates. On my XP (2003) client, I access the web folders through adding a Network Place. I have run into some odd issues and hope that someone might have some insight:

1) When I add the URL of my web folder to the network place, I get prompted for my cert. All seems well there. When I open my windows explorer and click on the new network place, however, I do not get prompted for my cert but get direct access to the web folder. I have even removed my certs from the browser. This makes me think that the cert authentication is ONLY done when creating the network link. But that wouldn't make sense. Could it be that Windows stores the cert used and automatically uses that when the network place is accessed?

2) The cert authentication listed in #1 above only works if I also have the IIS web folder use a secondary authentication, like anonymous access. If I remove all authentication mechanisms except client cert, I get prompted for a user name / password when I try to create my network place? I am not sure why this is happening.

3) When I try to access my network place, the windows explorer just hangs. Not until I open another windows explorer will the windows explorer with my network place be rendered.

Any thoughts on these issues would be greatly appreciated - Peter

Ask a Question