Web Page Hangs in IE6 SP1 using Win ME

I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106IC. I have a High speed cable modem
connection. I cannot access only one particular website.
http://www.winkflash.com/photo/signin.aspx
It is not responding (hangs indefinitely). I have contacted the company's
customer support dept, and they have run out of idea's! I am truly
frustrated! (By the way, it works fine with Firefox and Netscape).

Here is everything I have tried (so far):

1. Made sure that cookies are enabled.
2. Adjusted the security settings to minimal.
3. Double checked all security settings, cookie settings, and browser
settings.
4. Ran repair and reinstalled browser
5. Cleared Temporary Internet Folder cookies, cache, history
6. Checked for viruses, spy-ware and ad-ware.
7. Completed deleted the Temporary Internet Files folder, and the History
folder, and Index.dat.
8. Deleted Hosts file

Heck, I tried to uninstall IE 6, but I am not able, for some reason. I
reinstalled it several times, though!

Every web page in the cyber universe seems to work absolutely fine, but for
some reason, there is something corrupt somewhere... I GIVE UP! Any ideas?

Greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

OhWowMan

I am using Windows Millennium 4.90.3000

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Which version of Windows?

In the meantime... http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#dns

Don
--
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

no.spam said:
[...]

Don Varnau

Hi,
Well, running WinME takes away the option of flushing the DNS cache (a Win
XP option.)

Have you, at some point, had everything (computer, modem, router(?)) shut
down for 4 or 5 minutes?

That page has some javascript. Do you have any third-party security programs
running that might be blocking scripts, scripting, active content? Try
disabling firewalls, antivirus, ad-blockers, etc. as a test.

Given that the page involves javascript, this article may help:
193701 - Blank Page When You Try to Access Windows Update

Try putting the problem site in Trusted sites. From Internet Options>
Security> Trusted Sites> Sites> uncheck "Require server verification
(https:) for all sites" then add " *.winkflash.com " (without the quotes)
to this zone.

It's not likely to help, given that the problem is with just one site, but
LSPFix from http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm is worth trying. Be sure to read
the ReadMe (lspfix.txt) Especially... "Please do not check the "I know what
I'm doing" box unless you really know what you're doing."

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Hello Don;

I turned everything off - computer, cable modem, router - for 10 minutes.
No help there.

Third party security programs? I might need some help with this...
I have uninstalled and re-installed: SpyBot, Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster.
But, nothing is running in the background (to my knowledge.)
Suggestions?

No firewall software installed. I disabled Norton Anti-virus. I disabled
ad-blocker (google). No help there.

Added to Trusted Sites. Installed a new Scripting Engine (per Microsoft
support site). Ran LSPFIX. No help there

Any other ideas? Maybe I have overlooked something... Other suggestions?
Thanks for your help. I sincerely appreciate it.

"no.spam" <no.spam[at]no.spam.net> wrote in message
[...]

Well...I'm out of ideas except:
1. Delete any cookies from that site.
2. Export cookies, then delete the Cookies folder (deltree cookies- just
like deltree history.)
3. Internet Options> Privacy, set the slider to low or accept all.

This might be some strange DNS problem with your ISP's DNS servers. You
might contact them.

I don't think that Ad-aware or Spybot would block this site. You might
disable SpywareBlaster as a test.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/9/051/article/

Is Norton AV configured to block scripts, scripting, active content?

Don't know what else to try.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

OhWowMan said:
[...]

Home User

Been there. Done them all. Still no help.
I don't know what else to do, either.
But, thanks for trying. I appreciate it.
I think I'm going to switch to Firefox browser, although I prefer IE6.

If you come up with any other suggestions, let me know.

"OhWowMan" <no.spam[at]no.spam.net> wrote in message
[...]

PA Bear

DonV, see concurrent thread here, subject: Windows Update Problems. OP has
WinME's 'version soup' IMO.
--
~PA Bear

no.spam said:
[...]

I uninstalled and reinstalled IE6 using IERadicator. Things are working a
lot better now, although I had to reinstall a few other programs as well (I
guess they got eradicated along with my old version of internet explorer).

Funny thing is, though, now when I go to IE Help > About > Update Versions
it reads: SP1; Q867282; Q891781; This is a customized version of internet
explorer. Is that right?

Wow... I've posted to this group and cross-posted to other groups, and from
what I have finally come to the conclusion - I don't know how I ended up
with it, but supposedly I have what the WinME Pros call 'version soup'.

So, Thank you "PA BEAR" for this advice: "MVP Noel Paton has an excellent
page containing instructions on making things right:
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/ReInIE.htm. "

Life goes on. Thanks again to all for their concern and advice.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

That and your headers tell me you're fully up-to-date at Windows Update,
yes.

YW, Home User.
--
~PA Bear