Web Cam Sound

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm having problems with the sound on the integral microphone of my Microsoft Lifecam VX-6000 which results in a very loud humming noise at the other end. I'm unable to adjust this using the audio controls on the software. The sound I receive is perfect. Can anyone advise what I can do please?
Thanks in hope of keeping my sanity.
Jan

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, but I wouldn't expect great things from that "low-cost" webcam. ;)

"... a reasonably priced webcam with a nice set of features, but I wish the mic worked better.”
... I can quote many more such "reviews" if you like.

However, without knowing anything about the rest of your system I have no idea how to 'eliminate' the noise problem apart from either buying a decent Mic or a more reliable webcam. :thumb:

oh, welcome to the forums. :D

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score
janfk said:
Thanks for that !!!
You is welcome ... I can be very destructive, given the right information ... ;)

If you can post your system spec' we may be able to pinpoint the problem ... possibility a fault with the input to your sound card ... on-board sound cards ain't the best though, ok for playback but (cheap) Mics can throw them into a wobbly.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Ok I'm a stupid woman - I agree with that as far as computers are concerned but is £80.00 a cheap web cam?
Regards Jan

muckshifter

Reaction score
janfk said:
Ok I'm a stupid woman - I agree with that as far as computers are concerned but is £80.00 a cheap web cam?
Regards Jan
Sorry once again, but while £80 is NOT cheap I would say way overpriced by £40 for what you get.

I'm not trying to upset you here ... I am, in my sad way, merely trying to find out what System / PC you are using.

Most "humming" from sound cards is caused by a "feedback" from the device ... if you can try your Cam in somebody else's PC an see if it does the same, should eliminate the possibility of a faulty webcam. Not always though. ;)

Fault-finding on PC hardware is simply replace "suspect" item with a know good working alternative.

If you are unsure what your PC's spec is, I can point you to a good program that will give you all the info you need ... SIW

:thumb:

Reaction score
Hi
This is what I was afraid you was going to ask. It's a Dell and about 6 months old. The paperwork says - I quote "Demension 5150C Desktop Pentium D/945 with Hyper Threading (3.40GHz, 800MHz, 2x2MB Cache) with amongst other things an Audio integrated with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability and integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950."
Good/bad ?
Regards Jan

muckshifter

Reaction score
itsme said:
We all have to learn;) Now listen to mucks and he will sort it for you, trust me:thumb:
thanks, BUT ... I just looked a little closer at the spec' on the webcam ... it's USB, why I should be surprised I don't know, so, not directly connected to the sound card.

Good/bad ?
Regards Jan
Better than most, Dell cut corners just like the rest and it will, again, be overpriced ... not all doom-&-gloom though ... 'tis just most of us here build our own systems and know what to look for in a pre-built PC.

Jan ... Are you running XP or Vista as your operating system ?

Can you clear-up one thing ...
... a very loud humming noise at the other end
... which 'end' do you get this noise, the USB end ? Have you tried another USB slot ?

Reaction score
Hi again
In my world this is where it gets technical. I'm running Windows XP not Vista and the humming noise is at the recipients end. I tested the microphone by doing a video clip of myself talking. When I played it back there was a very loud humming coming out of my speakers. Yet, when I use the web cam in a video call the sound my end is perfect which, if my deductions are correct, indicates that it's my microphone which is the problem. When using in a video call the microphone slide bar on the MSN screen is always green right to the top of the slide even though the indicator is one notch from the bottom. I cannot alter this using the web cam software - even with the indicator slide near it's lowest point it's permanently in the yellow where it should be if you are speaking. If I speak it shoots off into the red area!!! If I move the indicator slide down to it's lowest point there is no sound at all either in the software testing programme or MSN.
I hope you are following this.
Regards Jan

muckshifter

Reaction score
janfk said:
Hi again
In my world this is where it gets technical. I'm running Windows XP not Vista and the humming noise is at the recipients end.

I tested the microphone by doing a video clip of myself talking. When I played it back there was a very loud humming coming out of my speakers. Yet, when I use the web cam in a video call the sound my end is perfect which, if my deductions are correct, indicates that it's my microphone which is the problem.

When using in a video call the microphone slide bar on the MSN screen is always green right to the top of the slide even though the indicator is one notch from the bottom. I cannot alter this using the web cam software - even with the indicator slide near it's lowest point it's permanently in the yellow where it should be if you are speaking. If I speak it shoots off into the red area!!! If I move the indicator slide down to it's lowest point there is no sound at all either in the software testing programme or MSN.
I hope you are following this.
Regards Jan
err, sort of ... ;)

Very good "diagnostics" actually ... :thumb:

OK, we may still find it is the 'fault' of the Mic, they really ain't that good, but it may be a number of other things.

Your PC uses a BTX case, don't worry about that, but this means the Power Supply Unit (PSU) is on the bottom of the case ... now, I have no idea, as Dell are good at hiding the most important information to a PC, the motherboard used, as to you are suffering from EMI (electro-magnetic interference) or even RFI because of where the PSU is located near the sound chips ... they are usually on the bottom of the MB also.

There is the added spanner in the works of it being software orientated ... by that I mean, the "control" is set to high and you are bringing into play a background hum with it set so high.

XP has a Mic Setup you can try ... Go to the Control Panel, Open your sound devices, Choose the Voice Tab, Click on Test Hardware ... There is also a microphone boost option in the Mixer that may need enabling.

As I said, diagnosing hardware problems is a matter of examinations. :D

Reaction score
Hi thanks for being patient
I have done what you suggested. On the microphone test the meter goes into the red when I speak and the slide 'quivers' making the meter go into the red even when there is no sound. On the speaker test I get the very loud humming that this is all about.
Regards Jan

muckshifter

Reaction score
Did you try another USB port ?

You may want to go to your local electronics store, ie Maplin, and pick up one ot two "ferrite" rings ... see attachment below.

Other than trying another make & model webcam, can you borrow a friends? I'm about out of any more help. :blush:

Attachments

• FER3.jpg
    FER3.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
Thanks for your time.....beaten the expert - must be a first. Over the last two months I have tried all the USB's but will persevere. If needs be I will go and buy an 'expensive' web cam. This one is my second. I had a Logitech but that kept crashing when I switched it on - something to do with the USB ports on this computer not being compatable (BIOS?). It worked perfectly on my old computer.
Many thanks again for your time
Regards Jan

muckshifter

Reaction score
Oh, I'm no 'expert', just been round PCs a long time to know the word "compatibility" does not exist in computer terminology. I have thrown in the towel many a time on these and other forums. ;)

I also have no doubt that I could "fix" your problem if I had the PC in front of me ... or at least tell what the cause actually is.

USB still falls over itself, not much has changed there since 95. ;)

You just made an interesting statement ... you had a previous USB webcam, that also gave you a problem ... as I have said on numerous occasions here at PCR, If I can find out what MB is being used, I'm better armed in diagnosing what the problem may be ... you will find that information very hard to track down, and almost impossible from the actual PC manufacturer ... they cheat something awful with components.

USB is NOT a simple mater of plug-&-play, it also requires its own power ... I have suggested on may occasion people invest in an external Powered USB2 Hub, although, some peripheral need to actually be plugged into the PC itself.

Buying 'another' webcam may not be the answer, especially an 'expensive' one ... ;)

Dell has stated in Dell knowledge base document FA1021802, that a USB device such as a scanner or printer may not be detected or function correctly when connected to the USB port of a Dell Latitude or Inspiron PC (it may occur on other models as well).

Various communication errors may occur, including device initialization and device not found errors.

Some Dell computers do not provide enough voltage from the USB ports to power some USB devices.

Dell recommends purchasing a powered USB hub to provide the USB devices with enough power to operate correctly. A USB keyboard with built in hub is not a solution and can worsen this problem.
... I do a lot of reading on top of my 20 years in the computer industry. :D

Reaction score
Hi
I chuckled at your last sentence and thought how our 'conversations' had changed from being relatively hostile to bordering on the jovial !!
I have an external hub (there was a shortage of USB's on my old computer) I will give that a try and see what happens but I have to find it first.
Again many thanks for your time
Regards Jan

muckshifter

Reaction score
Time is something I have plenty of ... sorry if I came across as 'hostile' I'm afraid my dry sarcastic humor does not 'read' well, though I'm working on that. See my sig' ... :D

Re, the Hub you have ... it needs to have at least it's own power supply, it is worth noting that USB comes in 3 different flavours, the one to look for is USB2 ... see attachment ... if that 'logo' is not present, it is not true USB2.

It may work, it may not ... such is computers. ;)

If you need anymore assistance, feel free to post, I really ain't that bad ... not a very good time of year for me at the moment.

user.gif

Attachments

• usb_hs_125.gif
    usb_hs_125.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 177

Ask a Question