    tell, the bad guys are still on my PC. What do I do now?
    --
    H.R.Oswald

    Guest, Jun 7, 2006

    Hello H.R.Oswald,

    Can you provide the name of the 'things'.

    Since you don't say what the error message number is, I'm guessing, but I
    would imagine the detections are either in an archive file (zip type
    compressed file) which Defender doesn't remove, since such files could
    contain other wanted/needed information, or they are in a restore folder
    which also isn't touched by Defender, or they are in a quarantine fºlder.
    All occurrences are harmless in that state but could cause a problem if
    uncompressed or restºred.

    You should see what files are involved by examining the system event lºg:
    Do a start, run, eventvwr.msc, **click OK**, then click ºn

    **System**, then View, then Filter, and scroll down the " event sºurce"

    control to reach Windefend, that will give you a view of just Windows
    Defender-related events.

    Look for events with yellow triªngles

    Then make a decision as to either deleting/ignoring/manually cleaning them
    or in the other case emptying your restore folder and creating a new restore
    point as described in these fºrums.

    For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

    I hope this post is helpful.

    Let us know how it works ºut.

    Еиçеl

    Guest, Jun 7, 2006

    Hi Engel,
    The "things" I was refering are : 'NewDotNet' (High); 'WebHancer' (High);and
    Marketscore.InternetAccelera...'(Severe). All had the number 0x8007817
    associated with it,
    Does this help somewhat.
    Howard
    --
    H.R.Oswald

    Guest, Jun 7, 2006

    Hi,

    Right click My Computer > Properties > System Restore Tab.

    Turn off System Restore, restart your computer.

    This flushes out system restore.

    Once you've restarted, re-enable system restore if you wish.

    Reboot

    Done

    Try a manual scan.

    Guest, Jun 8, 2006

    Hi,
    Ran the scan and no bad guys showed up. I guess I'm clear for the moment.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Howard
    --
    H.R.Oswald

    Guest, Jun 8, 2006

    Hi Howard,

    Thanks for letting us know the outcome!

    Guest, Jun 8, 2006

    Do not use these instructions. You will lose your restore points.

    The pinheads at microsoft are aware that they have problems with their WD
    anti-spyware and that it will not remove NewDotNet or
    Marketscore.InternetAccelerator.

    william shake_speer

    Guest, Jun 10, 2006