Watercooling enwsgroup ?

Thomas Andersson

Hi!

Anothe discussion lead me to think that maybe it's time to create a new
newsgroup for discussing watercooling issues. I'm now checking to see if
there's a genuine interest in this before I enter the process of creating
it.
It will be a alt. based group, but I'm not 100% certain of the exact
hierachy yet, this is why I'm looking to you for suggestions.

I'm thinking:

alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.watercooling
alt.comp.hardware.watercooling

I think the first obe is the better choise.

Please mail me your 'vote' or alternative suggestion to (e-mail address removed)
and add any other suggestions and/or comments you might have on the issue.

Best Wishes
Thomas

Nico De Cock

Sound like a great idea. Watercooling is comming on in modern computer. It's
the easyiest way to cool a pc at a reasonable temperature.

I look forward to yout idea. When it's available it will be very usefull.

Greetz

Phil Weldon

First you should learn about cross-posting and why that is a bad idea; it is
especially bad to cross-post to six groups (one of the worst effects of
cross-posting is the much longer decay time of opjectional posts and troll
threads (c.f. in this newsgroup the 'Happy birthday America" troll.)

THEN you should count the number of messages concerning watercooling in each
overclocking newsgroup. Then you should calculate the number of
water-cooling posts per day for all the overclocking groups and for each
overclocking group. If you check the alt.comp.hardware.overclocking group
you will find, over the last ten days exactly ONE thread on water-cooling
(if you don't count your post and replies) containing nine posts. At that
volume a separate newsgroup is not justified. It is better to keep
discussion of water cooling consildated in a more active general over
clocking newsgroup.

Newsgroup servers may not carry a new alt* hierachy newsgroup - and if it is
a low volume group ISP's may not add it even if requested.

Try http://tgos.org/newbie/newgroup.html for more information on
establishing an alt. newsgroup.

Phil Weldon, (e-mail address removed)

Roger Squires

The posting volume would be low, I don't see the point. There are good
watercooling forums at the major overclocking websites already. Like
overclockers.com

rms

Arthur Hagen

Phil Weldon said:
Second, for a technical newsgroup top posting is much more efficient -
you can go directly to the NEW information without scrolling through
the prior posts. This is especially helpful because in many cases
the prior post will be relatively lengthy while the reply will be
relatively short.

Only if the poster is too lazy to chop away the irrelevant parts. This kind
of laziness usually manifests in top posters, who quote EVERYTHING
(including signatures and blank lines at the bottom).

If you only want to post the new stuff, then DON'T QUOTE AT ALL -- chop off
that bottom quote in a top post that only serves the purpose of eating up
disk space, bandwidth and reduce retention -- after all, if you want the
full text of the previous post, you simply go to the previous post. It's
listed in the header of the reply post, and most newsreader will give you
easy access to it.

No regards,

Colin

Phil Weldon said:
First, my post was in no way a flame. Second, for a technical newsgroup top
posting is much more efficient - you can go directly to the NEW information
without scrolling through the prior posts. This is especially helpful
because in many cases the prior post will be relatively lengthy while the
reply will be relatively short.

You haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

The Thin Man

Watercooling? Watercooling is passe' and the latest wizmo gizmo is
refigeration cooling. I kid you not.

David Maynard

The said:
Watercooling? Watercooling is passe' and the latest wizmo gizmo is
refigeration cooling. I kid you not.

Refrigeration cooling has been around for quite a while but, nevertheless, I'm
not sure he intended the group's focus to be 'latest fad' cooling anyway.

Herb Winston

Phil,

I couldn't agree more. I've been top posting for what seems forever, & if
someone doesn't like it they can just ignore it or kill-file me. The same
goes for replying cross-posted (in this instance replying to a cross posted
message).

Best regards,

--
Herb Winston AMA 50438
Bonita Springs, FL

"He may look like an idiot,
and he may sound like an idiot,
but don't let him fool you.
He really is an idiot."

Mark Twain
Phil Weldon said:
First, my post was in no way a flame. Second, for a technical newsgroup top
posting is much more efficient - you can go directly to the NEW information
without scrolling through the prior posts. This is especially helpful
because in many cases the prior post will be relatively lengthy while the
reply will be relatively short.

A flame usually has clear characteristics, one of which is making false
unwarranted accusations.

Michal Rosa said:
Phil said:
First you should learn about cross-posting and why that is a bad idea;
it is
[...[

Learn to bottom-post before you flame like that.

Koop

I am with you guys, posting at the bottom makes no sense to me. Why
force me to scroll through all the previous posts, the posts I just
read, to get to the new reply? Get me to the new stuff quickly, so I
like top posters. I believe netiquette dictates that either top or
bottom posting is O.K. as long as it remains consistent throughout a
thread: if people have been bottom posting you should continue the
convention, if people have been top posting do likewise.

Interesting debate...

Koop

Koop said:
I am with you guys, posting at the bottom makes no sense to me. Why
force me to scroll through all the previous posts, the posts I just
read, to get to the new reply? Get me to the new stuff quickly, so I
like top posters. I believe netiquette dictates that either top or
bottom posting is O.K. as long as it remains consistent throughout a
thread: if people have been bottom posting you should continue the
convention, if people have been top posting do likewise.

Interesting debate...

Koop

Additional references --

http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html -- Anton Smit: "Why is
Bottom-posting better than Top-posting
http://members.home.net/krobb7/quoting.html -- Ken Robbins - Quoting on Usenet
http://www.alt-html.org/index.html#usenet -- Brucie's alt.html General Information
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_6.html -- zen and the art of
the internet (usenet section)
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html -- Jukka Korpela presents Tobias
Brox's Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet
http://www.estreetjournal.com/cgi-local/dir/dir.cgi/Computers/Internet/Etiquette/
-- Netiquette links
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/posting-rules/part1/ -- "rules" for posting to
usenet
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html -- Richard Kettlewell:
Quoting Style
http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php?clue=topposting -- alt.html FAQ reference on
posting methods
http://www.i-hate-computers.demon.co.uk/ -- "How not to look like an idiot",
What do you mean "my reply is upside-down"?
http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html -- Netmeister: "How do I quote
correctly in Usenet"
http://www.topfloor.com/pr/communities/ch3.htm -- TopFloor Publishing: Online
communities - Participating effectively
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.mccaughan/g/remarks/uquote.html -- G.McCaughan:
The advantages of Usenet's quoting conventions
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html -- FAQ of Proper Quoting
http://www.windfalls.net/ukrm/postinghelp.html -- "Suggestions on how to post"
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html -- news.newusers.questions FAQ

Phil Weldon wrote:

First you should learn about cross-posting and why that is a bad idea;
it is
[...[

Learn to bottom-post before you flame like that.

Phil Weldon

Thanks for the nice list of URL's on usenet posting, but top-posting still
seems more in tune with the development of internet use and capability.

Phil Weldon, pweldon.mindspring.com

David Maynard

Phil said:
Thanks for the nice list of URL's on usenet posting, but top-posting still
seems more in tune with the development of internet use and capability.

Phil Weldon, pweldon.mindspring.com

Well, it's 'in tune' with 'developments' in that it coincides with the rapid
influx of people who are unfamiliar with good posting methodology, as was noted
in one of the articles.

But I was replying to Koop's comment "netiquette dictates that either top or
bottom posting is O.K. as long as it remains consistent" and that is not the case.

Y6g11

I am with you guys, posting at the bottom makes no sense to me. Why
force me to scroll through all the previous posts, the posts I just
read, to get to the new reply? Get me to the new stuff quickly, so I
like top posters.

I agree and if I missed something, I can always scroll down, rather than have
to do it time after time.

jaf

Because it's part of Microsoft's Big Brother Division's plan to control you
and the world.

AKA How to keep an idiot busy.
click, click, drag, click, click, click, click, scroll, click, click, click,
click, click, click, drag, click, click, click, click, scroll, click, click,
click, click, click, click, drag, click, click, click, click, scroll, click,
click, click, click, click, click, drag, click, click, click, click, scroll,
click, click, click, click, click, click, drag, click, click, click, click,
scroll, click, click, click, click...

--

John

johnf202 at hotmail dot com

Phil Weldon wrote:
First you should learn about cross-posting and why that is a bad
idea;
it is
[...[

Learn to bottom-post before you flame like that.

jaf

David Maynard said:
Forget the career in psychology. Temper tantrums derive from obsessive self
indulgence and a lack of self control encouraged by a lax environment where the
'tactic' is allowed to succeed thereby reinforcing the behavior.

So you agree with me.
That people who are obsessive, self indulgent, and lack self control will be
allowed to stick their nose where it doesn't belong and force their views on
everyone else until someone tells them to piss-off.

Or as the old adage "A bully is a bully until you punch him in the nose".

Kinda like "I don't give a tinker's dam what anyone else thinks I want to get MY
WAY."

Bingo. You got it.
They can't have it their way because they don't have the authority to make
the rules.

David Maynard

jaf said:
where the

So you agree with me.

If I had agreed with you I would have said so. I didn't. I don't.
That people who are obsessive, self indulgent, and lack self control will be
allowed to stick their nose where it doesn't belong and force their views on
everyone else until someone tells them to piss-off.

I explained the misconceptions in your paranoiac rage in the portions you snipped.
Or as the old adage "A bully is a bully until you punch him in the nose".

get MY

Bingo. You got it.

Hard to miss as it is precisely the attitude you've taken.
They can't have it their way because they don't have the authority to make
the rules.

If you hadn't snipped my message to hell and back you might have had a chance to
understand it. As it is, you're just continuing your self indulgent temper
tantrum which, btw, is quite typical of one in that you've not addressed a
single thing regarding the merits of the topic itself but instead rant about
how, by golly, no one's gonna tell YOU anything.

jaf

First they complained I didn't know how to use the keyboard.
Now they complain because I snip.

That does it.

You, me, by the flag pole after school! <vbg>