VX2/f

Vince

Dam what a pain.

Ok yesterday just trying to look at an icon on a webpage I clicked the
search box on the page to find what I wanted and well I was bombarded with
all the spyware anyonecould want.

I got no less than a half dozen spywares from that one click. I got Alchem,
Favoriteman, Keen Value.Updater, n_CASE, Twaintech, and VX/2. Took me 16
hours steady to clean up most of the system. I am down to one reg key left
that I can not clear it out. Hopefully someone can help me. The key is
stated to be part of vx2/f by Spybot Search and Destroy. However it always
comes back when deleted.
This is the key.
VX2/f: Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vendor
It is had a right pane entry as so
(Default) REG_SRV and the data string is miles longhere is a short sample
of the string

"ÆÐsY-Ï"-^o<"ÒÀÃÔ"
please help rid me of this key.

I have had it with this spyware stuff. Even when you have all your security
set and firewall on you still get hit. In the amout of time it took to fix
this problem I could have rebuilt the machine with a fresh install including
all the windows updated. What a shame. (someone need to pay)

If I get this problem fixed I will probably never use the internet again
except for the windows newsgroups, updates and business sites I know are
ligit.

If I do it will be on an old win98 machine I can ghost every day if
necessary to use the next day.

H Leboeuf

Ad-Aware has a new plugin to take care of this VX2 variant.

Go to Plug-ins in the left menu and download it.

If that fails because you have a new variant, then get help from the
experts. They will suggest a tool for this removal and will provide
assistance.

Go to http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip
Download "Hijack This!" [freeware] Latest version is 1.98.

Unzip the Download file in a NEW FOLDER that you can create before you start
the download.
DO NOT install in your Desktop folder.
DO NOT use any of the TEMP folders that are presently in your computer.
Double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Click: "Save Log" (generates "hijackthis.log")

Next, HijackThis | Config [button] | Misc Tools [button]
Click: Generate StartupList log [button] (generates "startuplist.txt")

Next, go to the below location:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

Sign in, then copy and paste both files in your message.

HijackThis Quick Start Help
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

The Tutorial if you want to know more about the results or the .log file.
http://www.merijn.org/htlogtutorial.html

Vince

Ok heres the deal.
I did try the plug in for vx2 from adaware it says I am clean. The only
report of it being in the computer is the one reg key mentioned in the first
post from spybot search and destroy which does not really point to anything.
I also do not get any ads anymore. I think that is just a mis que from
spybot.

Any ideas on this? I mean I do atleast have the machine working with no
anoyances and wonder if I should go any further or just call it done and
over?

Vince

Don: the key was deleted and removed by Spybot more than once, I also
removed it from the registry through regitry editor but either way it just
keeps coming back.

However since it has what appears to be usless information and the string
value and does not point to any executable I believe I am clean.

As mentioned by H Leboeuf I did go to spyware info.com and post a message to
thier board just to cover all bases.

Since my machine appears to be fine I will just leave all as is unless I
should get an answer at the forum stating different. Guess I am gonna use
the old addage If it aint broke don't fix it even if you don't like how it
looks.

Vince

Vince

Hi Henri
I have now just about had it with this problem. I think there is something
more sinister in the system than either of us or others know, all this
trouble just to get an icon of a folder to use on my machine.

The reason I think there is more problems is this. I had the machine clean
by the morning of the 13th. Then I did not go anywhere except to my email
accounts and they had no attachments or pictures or anything. Yet today i am
bombarded with even more problems than I started with.

All together I started with Incredifind which turned into Alchem,
Favoriteman, Shopathome, KeenValue.Updater, n_CASE, Twaintech, and VX2/f.

Now today VX2/f is back along with VX2/e, IE Plugin and Statblaster.All
files 7.

What the heck is going on here. I have never in my life been bombared with
all this stuff. If I don't get it fixed today I will just have to quit
because there are more pressing issues to deal with. My bosses main system
he does just got hit by lightning and we lost a ton of stuff. Guess when it
rains it pours. My brain is in over load right now. Don't even remember what
I had to eat this morning.

I have now been on this problem for 25 hours and I don't think I can get it
fixed. There will be no next time. If this system ever gets any of these
types of things the dam thing will be wiped and restarted right from the
start.

I have decided after this crap that I am not going to any new websites
unless they are on a safe list. I will stick with the ones in my favorites
that do no harm. its a shame there are jerks like this out there to screw
things up.

Vince

H Leboeuf said:
If I see your post at SpywareInfo I will get back to you.

--

Henri Leboeuf
Web page: http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/index.htm

Vince said:
Don: the key was deleted and removed by Spybot more than once, I also
removed it from the registry through regitry editor but either way it just
keeps coming back.

However since it has what appears to be usless information and the string
value and does not point to any executable I believe I am clean.

As mentioned by H Leboeuf I did go to spyware info.com and post a
message
thier board just to cover all bases.

Since my machine appears to be fine I will just leave all as is unless I
should get an answer at the forum stating different. Guess I am gonna use
the old addage If it aint broke don't fix it even if you don't like how it
looks.

Vince
Don Varnau said:
Vince,
I would run regedit, export that key, then delete it. You might then run
Ad-aware and Spybot again. Try running them from Safe Mode. If
everything
is
OK a few days later, I'd delete that exported registry key.

Congratulations on the cleanup... it can be time consuming. ;-)

Have you seen security recommendations at:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Vince" <willgivewhenneeded[at]ok.com> wrote in message
[...]

took
to know
are

Vince

Henri:
I think I about have it, only one little annoyance and maybe you can tell me
if it is a side effect of once having the spyware or if it is a side effect
of Ad-Aware or Spybot.

So here is the deal. I have a clean report on spybot 100% clean. I have a
100% clean on Ad_Aware untill I try to change my browser home page, That is
my little annoyance. I use to use it set to about blank so I could open the
browser easier and not wait for a page to open. Now when I try to change it
I can not and Ad-Aware reports the following key, which I know I caused.

Type : RegData
Data : "about:blank"
Rootkey : HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Object : Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
Value : Start Page
Data : "about:blank"
If I have to live with this home page I will. Now how I got the rest out
including the stubborn VX@/f key.

First I found that at kephyr.com the instructions to manually remove VX2/f
states that one reg key is random and the file matching name is random. I
found the file and deleted it, did not take the reg key was not sure I
should.

The way I finished is strange. I decided to run Spybot and delete it's
findings, however I did not reboot, I opened Ad-Aware and removed what it
found. They each find files the other could not. I figured by deleting both
first then rebooting it may help.

That seemd to do the trick except for the fact I can not change my home page
and my security settings are on high. I think it is the immunize at Spybot
causing that.

Hopefully I am done, if not it will sit till I just can't stand it anymore
and rebuild the system no more bs trying to reverse this crap.

Vince

Don Varnau said:
[...]

PA Bear

Several of these are known to cause problems:

1) Zone Alarm Pro [Private Header Info - enabled?] Reset "Ad Blocking" and
"Cookie Control" to "medium" "Mobile Code Control" = Off

2) Symantec (ISS\NIS) [Enable Browser Privacy - enabled] Active Content -
"Allow All Scripts To Execute" Problem: some sites cannot detect the 128 bit
encryption Solution: Completely remove and reinstall NIS.

3) Any "ad blocking" software that blocks "http_referer" or contains entries
that are blocking access to the desired site.

4) HOSTS file that contains entries that are blocking access to the desired
site.

5) Cookie blocking software that are blocking "required" Cookies.

6) Pop-up blockers that are stripping header\url info.

7) WebWasher Standard Filter/URL Filter

8) Make sure the following entry is not corrupt:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings] "User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

Note: "Win32" = Windows 98\ME Other versions = (compatible; MSIE 6.0;
Windows NT 5.0;)

(-MVP Mike Burgess)

--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

Vince said:
[...]

Run the latest copies of AdAware, Spybot and CWShredder and post your new
log again.
Let me have the number. Use the E-mail address in my Home page.
Will get back to you. Yesterday I was absent from home and will be part of
tomorrow.
I'm working on an other log but will give yours some priorities.

I'm just a student-trainee and I must get approval to answer live topics.
I have already seen TwainTec infection and I know that it must NOT be
removed by HJT, but done manually.

If any VX2 infection there may need for ad additional tool and instructions.

Data : "about:blank"
Rootkey : HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Data : "about:blank"

H Leboeuf said:
[...]

Hi thanks for checking back, I am spy free at this time, twain tech was the
easiest of all to remove.

My only problem now and I think is due to to Spybot and if so ok by me, I
like to set my browser to about blank, I think there is a spy out there that
uses that and that is why Spy Bot Immunize won't let me change this back,
They also set the security to high. Nothing that I can not live with.

By the way I did go look at your site and it looks great for finding missing
dll's or ms errors. I will put it in my favorite list.

I noticed on your page you ask people to let you know if they find a 404
error. Have you ever heard of Xneu? That is a wonderful free program for
checking the links of your website. You just down load and unzip the files
to a folder of your choice and run the included exe file. No install
required. The saved information from the program will be created in a ini
file in the same folder. This is a great program and will check every link
on your site in just a few minutes. The site I check has 142 links and runs
in about 2 to 3 minutes. The program only has very minor bugs like leafing a
copy of the search in the temp folder when done with it. The web page tells
you about that. I will not live without the program. You can find it here if
interested.
http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

Have a good day.
Vince