    developed piece of film and then use that neutral setting to scan an actual
    negative?

    thanks to all

    rs, Jul 25, 2005

  2. rs

    Erik Krause Guest

    rs <> wrote:

    > I seem to have the most dificulty using Vuescan with my Nikon IV scanner and
    > color negative film. I mostly use NPH NPS and 160NC. Scans tend to come
    > out pink as its very dificult to get accurate skin tones. Is it possible to
    > somehow have Vuescan measure and set a base setting on a blank, exposed &
    > developed piece of film and then use that neutral setting to scan an actual
    > negative?

    You apparently need an *unexposed* piece of film, an exposed one would
    be black. See "advanced workflow" in the vuescan manual for details.

    Since you use a nikon scanner you can use an even better approach by
    adjusting Green and Blue analog gain. Search for a posting (by me) with
    subject 'Re: Vuescan: my new advanced workflow' for details.

    --
    Erik Krause
    Digital contrast problems: http://www.erik-krause.de/contrast

    Erik Krause, Jul 25, 2005

  3. rs

    Jim Guest

    "rs" <> wrote in message
    > I seem to have the most dificulty using Vuescan with my Nikon IV scanner

    and
    > color negative film. I mostly use NPH NPS and 160NC. Scans tend to come

    out
    > pink as its very dificult to get accurate skin tones. Is it possible to
    > somehow have Vuescan measure and set a base setting on a blank, exposed &
    > developed piece of film and then use that neutral setting to scan an

    actual
    > negative?
    >
    > thanks to all

    Is the base color of your negative film orange as it is supposed to be?
    That color is used as a bias (known color - all others are unknown to the
    scanner). If it isn't orange, your best bet is to use ROC because the
    colors in your film have shifted. It would do no good to try blank film
    because such film would not have shifted colors.

    I have never tried Vuescan to get to ROC. I had great success with the LS40
    and Nikon Scan using ROC to solve color shift problems.
    Jim

    Jim, Jul 25, 2005
  4. rs

    rs Guest

    Erik, yes of course I meant unexposed but developed to set the film base.

    Where should I be searching for your previously posted information? here on
    this group?

    thank you

    Rick
    www.rickschiller.com

    In article <-berlin.de>,
    says...

    rs, Jul 26, 2005
  5. rs

    Mendel Leisk Guest

    Mendel Leisk, Jul 27, 2005
  6. rs

    Erik Krause Guest

    rs <> wrote:

    > Where should I be searching for your previously posted information? here on
    > this group?

    Yes. You can search for the subject line 'Vuescan: my new advanced
    workflow' or for this Message-ID:
    <-berlin.de>

    For your convenience I quote my text here:

    For C41 I have another super-advanced workflow only applicable to Nikon
    scanners: Do normal advanced workflow, then in color tab look at the
    film base color values. Take the largest one and divide by the next
    one. Take the result as a multiplier for the corresponding channel
    analog gain value. Do the same for the remaining channel.

    If f.e. your channels have film base color values: Red 0.9, Green 0.6
    and Blue 0.5 the resulting analog gain values will be Red 1.0, Green
    1.5 and Blue 1.8. Unlock film base color, do another preview and lock
    again. The film base color values on color tab should be all more or
    less the same. If they differ you can repeat the steps.

    This way you get a pretty neutral negative. Now you can increase all
    (locked) film base color values to 1.0 and scan the whole roll of film
    with these settings. In my experience this neutralization of film base
    color by different channel exposure works much better than the
    mathematical one and you get almost clipping-free image data.

    Erik Krause, Jul 28, 2005