VS.NET 2005 hotfixes?

Pieter

Hi,

I've read there are some VS.NET 2005 hotfixes out there, but I can't find
them. apparently You must first call Microsoft to obtain them?

Does anybody knows where I can download them?

thanks a lot in advance,

Pieter

Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

Pieter said:
Hi,

I've read there are some VS.NET 2005 hotfixes out there, but I can't
find them. apparently You must first call Microsoft to obtain them?

Does anybody knows where I can download them?
Call PSS for your country and ask them for the hotfix for the problem
you're having. That's the policy MS still uses for these kind of
things, and it's a shame, because they said they would change and do
something about it.

FB

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Call PSS for your country and ask them for the hotfix for the problem
you're having. That's the policy MS still uses for these kind of
things, and it's a shame, because they said they would change and do
something about it.

I have seen this discussion once even in real live.

:)

I don't think that these newsgroups are the place to get that changed.

However, I really don't understand that policy as well.

It has gives for me always the idea that there is a real bookkeeper (penny
wise pound foolish) on that position at Microsoft.

Cor

Yes, it would be much better to have a knee jerk reaction and release patches
that have not been fully regression tested ... and then have to support any
munging the patch did for users who did not even need the patch in the first
place.

While I do not agree with everything MS does, I am not sure freely issuing
patches is the best option. Yes, it is a pain to call PSS, but it is free if
you actually have the problem described. And, calling PSS sets it up where
people do not install something they do not actually need while allowing MS
to release for those who do.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

I agree that this is a money decision, but that does not make it unwise.
Before something is sent out into the field, it out to be fully tested. This
is true both for major releases and for patches. Let's imagine this new world:

Open release of patches:
Pros:
1. Disengage PSS from patch release
2. Less bitching about how to get patches in the newsgroups

Cons:
1. People install patches they do not need which alter their system enough
to munge their code - extra PSS time
2. Non regression tested patches into the wild, supported by a Microsoft
mechanism - extra PSS time
3. More bitching about how patches broke things in the newsgroups

In the end, the one thing that would not change is the bitching. :)

The safer approach is the one taken. When you have time to fully regression
test, you release; otherwise, you keep it under wraps and ensure people
really need it.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Gregory.

There is not only black and white, there are a lot of colours between those.

Cor

Pieter

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP said:
The safer approach is the one taken. When you have time to fully
regression
test, you release; otherwise, you keep it under wraps and ensure people
really need it.

So why didn't Microsoft use this approach for Visual Studio .NET 2005 in the
first place? :)

Pieter

Or is there anywhere out there a list with all the patches/hotfixes that
exists? so we know which of the numerous bugs are alreaddy fixed?

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Gregory,

See my reply on your message.

The message was longer first however that could be misunderstood.

I think that it answers as well this reply from you.

In that you see that I not completely disagree with you.

(If you don't understand what I mean than I will explain that a little bit
more in depth)

Cor

Carlos J. Quintero [VB MVP]

Hi Pieter,
You must first call Microsoft to obtain them?

Yes, once you know the hotfix, you request it calling by phone, you won´t be
charged.
Does anybody knows where I can download them?

You can search in the KB. Here is the list for VS.NET (2002/2003):
http://support.microsoft.com/search...1033&query=Visual+Studio+.NET+hotfix&x=10&y=6

--

Best regards,

Carlos J. Quintero

MZ-Tools: Productivity add-ins for Visual Studio 2005, Visual Studio .NET,
VB6, VB5 and VBA
You can code, design and document much faster in VB.NET, C#, C++ or VJ#
Free resources for add-in developers:
http://www.mztools.com

Noone else on earth is authorized toi distribute those Hotfixes.

Honestly, would you trust a hotfix downloaded from any site other than
Microsoft's?

--
Gnome</b></font>

Norman Diamond

Yes, it is a pain to call PSS, but it is free if you actually have the
problem described.

On the phone, Microsoft disagreed with you. When I phoned PSS, they would
not even let me state the Knowledge Base article numbers whose hotfixes I
wanted, unless I first paid for a support incident.

Even on the web, Microsoft disagrees with you. In some Knowledge Base
articles, Microsoft says that if the designated hotfix fixes all of your
problems then there's no fee. If the designated hotfix fixes some of your
problems but leaves other Microsoft bugs unchanged (or even changed), then
even the designated hotfix doesn't meet the conditions for the assertion
about being free.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Marketing versus development? One is fighting to make sure the market does
not react negatively. One wants to make sure the software is done. I am not
saying it is right, but a product does eventually have to release (somewhere
between "good enough" and perfect). :)

If you have one of the issues mentioned in one of the KBs, call PSS. They
will not charge if your issue is fixed by the patches. The reason they ask
for charge info is many people waste their time. Right or wrong, it is the
case. :)

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I agree with you. There are many shades as well as many hues.

I think MS takes the correct path in many instances and the incorrect in
others. I agree with them on erring on the side of caution. I wish they took
that approach with betas. :)

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Norman Diamond said:
"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

On the phone, Microsoft disagreed with you. When I phoned PSS, they would
not even let me state the Knowledge Base article numbers whose hotfixes I
wanted, unless I first paid for a support incident.

They take the info first. I am not sure I agree with this 100%, but it
guarantees payment if you are the one at fault. If your issue is fixed by
the patch, the charge will not go through. Not the best situation always,
but it has always worked for me when I called on company business outside of
free MSDN calls.
Even on the web, Microsoft disagrees with you. In some Knowledge Base
articles, Microsoft says that if the designated hotfix fixes all of your
problems then there's no fee. If the designated hotfix fixes some of your
problems but leaves other Microsoft bugs unchanged (or even changed), then
even the designated hotfix doesn't meet the conditions for the assertion
about being free.

If the problem you are calling about is fixed, you will not be charged. You
may be asked for payment information, but not charged. If you ramble on
about other issues, it is possible you will be charged.

For the record, I am NOT a Microsoft employee. I have been awarded MVP
status, but I am more than willing to bite the hand that feeds me if it
makes a better product. I don't mind eating some of the dogfood, but do not
make me have to state it is steak.

Having said that, I find that many people do not troubleshoot their own
stuff prior to complaining or asking questions. I answer a great many
questions here, as well as from friends (mostly on IM). A great number are
easily googled or found in MS documentation. I am sure PSS has the same
issue. If you find a problem that is solved by a patch, call PSS and stay on
the issue at hand; if you are right, no charge. If you ramble into how to
place an ObjectDataSource on a page, it is your dime. Yes, I am being overly
simplistic, but it happens. "While I have you on the phone" = $.

I have great experience with PSS, when I have to call them. If I can google
or ask someone, I avoid the call. When I call, it is generally a patch issue
(even I have called on something that was not MS's fault).

The site is checked by MS legal and protects MS. I do not fault them for
this, although I wish we could stop suing each other in this country (and
world?).

Bottom line: If you are sure (or reasonably sure) you have an issue fixed by
a patch, make the call and you will not be charged. You will be asked for
payment info, but they will not charge. If I am incorrect, let me know.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!

Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

Cowboy said:
Yes, it would be much better to have a knee jerk reaction and release
patches that have not been fully regression tested ... and then have
to support any munging the patch did for users who did not even need
the patch in the first place.

While I do not agree with everything MS does, I am not sure freely
issuing patches is the best option. Yes, it is a pain to call PSS,
but it is free if you actually have the problem described. And,
calling PSS sets it up where people do not install something they do
not actually need while allowing MS to release for those who do.

Which part of 'HOTfix' don't you understand? :).
Oh, and calling PSS isn't free in some countries: not moneywise and
also not timewise. Try getting a patch from ireland, it's likely you
end up in shanghai and have to wait at least 3 days.

Furthermore, for vs.net 2003 a lot of hotfixes exist, some are over 2
years old(!) and are never released to the public. If they need more
than 2 years of regression testing, I'm not sure what they're doing but
I think they need to fix some things internally first.

ps: tell me, why does the office group release rollups from time to
time?

FB

Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

Cowboy said:
They take the info first. I am not sure I agree with this 100%, but
it guarantees payment if you are the one at fault. If your issue is
fixed by the patch, the charge will not go through. Not the best
situation always, but it has always worked for me when I called on
company business outside of free MSDN calls.

you will get charged, your payment will be canceled later on or you'll
get your money back if it took too long and hte payment fell through.

Nevertheless this is very awkward for a single reason: the customer
experiences a strange thing with their product. The least they can do
is try to help FIRST. It's a customer for crying out loud. The customer
however is in a bad position: what if the issue the customer runs into
isn't a bug? Then the customer WILL get charged!

But the lame thing is: the customer doesn't know that and also doesn't
decide this. MS does. So if MS finds it not a bug, you'll get charged.

Every product you buy comes with warranty. Not MS software. If you
think it's broken, you always have to be prepared to pay.

You sell your own software for a living? If so, ask yourself if your
customers are willing to pay you first and then you look into their
bugreports and if it's a bug you pay them back and if it's not a bug
but their fault, you charge them for a couple of hundred dollars.

If you think that's a great way to deal with your customers, I hope
I'll never become a customer of yours.
Having said that, I find that many people do not troubleshoot their
own stuff prior to complaining or asking questions. I answer a great
many questions here, as well as from friends (mostly on IM). A great
number are easily googled or found in MS documentation. I am sure PSS
has the same issue. If you find a problem that is solved by a patch,
call PSS and stay on the issue at hand; if you are right, no charge.
If you ramble into how to place an ObjectDataSource on a page, it is
your dime. Yes, I am being overly simplistic, but it happens. "While
I have you on the phone" = $.

hey, customer support means supporting customers. If you don't want to
support customers, simply don't setup customer support facilities. It's
as simple as that. And before you start claiming MS customer support is
top notch: it's beyond horrible. I haven't ever come across one
software company who sat on patches for 2.5 years without publicly
releasing them and got away with it.

Another example? There are still un-released VB6 patches. The problem
is, if you want them, you have to pay, no matter what. Isn't that a
great way of dealing with customers? Why not put up a darn webpage and
let the customer download the stuff tehmselves? MS apparently finds
OFFICE users clever enough to update their systems by themselves,
however DEVELOPERS are apparently too stupid to patch their own systems
so they have to jump through hoops to get a patch.
I have great experience with PSS, when I have to call them. If I can
google or ask someone, I avoid the call. When I call, it is generally
a patch issue (even I have called on something that was not MS's
fault).

Using PSS from outside the USA isn't that great. To say the least.
The site is checked by MS legal and protects MS. I do not fault them
for this, although I wish we could stop suing each other in this
country (and world?).

As a customer, I don't see why legal stuff is my problem. Look at it
this way: a customer buys a license to a MS product. The customer runs
into a problem. The customer then tries to ask MS for an update/fix for
that problem. MS put up a huge wall to keep that customer out. Most
other software vendors have download sites for patches. Oh, MS has
those too, just not for developer software, because developers
apparently aren't required to update the software they live in for 8-10
hours A DAY.
Bottom line: If you are sure (or reasonably sure) you have an issue
fixed by a patch, make the call and you will not be charged. You will
be asked for payment info, but they will not charge. If I am
incorrect, let me know.

what's a bug is decided by MS. So if you get charged or not is decided
by MS. If I buy a radio in a radio store I get a warranty on it, say 1
year. If I find a feature not working as expected, I go back to the
radio store and they definitely won't ask me to pay up first or pull a
credit card before I even have to ability to speak up. In fact, if I
say to the radio store: something is broken, they fix it for me, and
most radio stores have policies that an unhappy customer is helped,
perhaps with a free new one, no matter what. You know why? Because a
happy customer stays with the company, and it's much cheaper to KEEP a
customer than to get it back once he's gone to the competition.

that last word is key here. As soon as there's firm competition on the
developertools market, MS will change the policy, however they
apparently don't have to.

FB

Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

Carlos said:
Hi Pieter,

Yes, once you know the hotfix, you request it calling by phone, you
won´t be charged.

You can search in the KB. Here is the list for VS.NET (2002/2003):
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID=1033&que
ry=Visual+Studio+.NET+hotfix&x=10&y=6

That list is way out-dated. A lot of the hotfixes are never made
public.

But to recap: Soma promissed me in person they would put up a list of
known issues and possible workarounds or KB article links and would
look into making hotfixes public if possible.

Nothing of that has been realized yet. It must be really hard to add a
couple of pages to that MSDN websystem apparently.

FB

Carlos J. Quintero [VB MVP]

Norman Diamond said:
On the phone, Microsoft disagreed with you. When I phoned PSS, they would
not even let me state the Knowledge Base article numbers whose hotfixes I
wanted, unless I first paid for a support incident.

I have followed the procedure Call by phone, Point them to the KB article
and Request the fix several times without being charged and in a couple of
hours I was sent the download URL for the fix by e-mail.