VPN: "Unavailable - device missing" error

Tyler

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a VPN connection from home (Win XP
Pro) to work, and when I go through the wizard...

....connect to the network @ my workplace
....VPN
....<company name>
....<network address>
....finish

in my network connections I get the error
message "Unavailable - device missing". What device is it
referring to? And where might it be hiding?

Thanks!

Tyler

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the article, but I'm afraid it didn't help.
The only step I couldn't complete was 11, and I couldn't
remove the RAS Async Adapter.

Is the "Type" of connection for the VPN supposed to be
Dial-up? Because when I did step 10, create a bogus Dial-
up connection, I got the same message (I don't have a
modem, I'm using DSL).

Thanks!

tyler

Bill Sanderson

Yep--it is a dialup.

I'll see if I can re-read the thread later tonight and get some ideas. I
was sure that KB article would have the right stuff in it--but clearly not.

Anything else to mention--anything odd about this install of XP? Is it an
upgrade? Have you been turning off services to save energy?

Tyler

Thanks for the reply. It is an upgrade from ME which I did
about 1.5 years ago. And no funny services stuff, at least
not which I did.

tyler

Bill Sanderson

As a kind of a "knock wood" reflex, how much work would it be to do a
reinstall of Service Pack 1 for XP?

If you have SP1 in place and do a System Restore to a point pre-sp1, or
reinstall XP, there are some symptoms related to VPN's which arise which are
not identical to yours--i.e. this isn't a clear match--but are similar
enough to make me wonder whether re-applying SP1 might help.

Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Solution that worked for me

Hi,

I was having the same problem with a computer that I've been working on at my IT job. I finally found the solution and here are the steps I followed:

1) open a command window (start->run and type cmd and enter)
2) type: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
3) hit enter and wait for the command prompt to reappear - this will reset the ip protocol stack
4) type: netsh winsock reset
5) hit enter
6) restart

This solved my problem. I hope it also works for you.

Tyler said:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the article, but I'm afraid it didn't help.
The only step I couldn't complete was 11, and I couldn't
remove the RAS Async Adapter.

Is the "Type" of connection for the VPN supposed to be
Dial-up? Because when I did step 10, create a bogus Dial-
up connection, I got the same message (I don't have a
modem, I'm using DSL).

Thanks!

tyler

us;825826&Product=winxp