VPN Connection works on one PC, but not the other!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Galvanon, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. Galvanon

    Galvanon Guest

    Hello -

    We have a client that has given us information to set up the Microsoft VPN
    client to connect into their network.

    I have set up the VPN connection using the wizard on two machines. One
    machine can connect to it perfectly, but the other one cannot (I get an
    error code "Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated"

    I've been to thise KB article, but it did not help either:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310431/

    Both are Windows XP machines, with all of the service packs.

    Here are the settings on each of the tabs:

    General:
    Just has the IP address of the destination

    Checks next to "Display progress while connecting" and "Prompt for username,
    password, certificate, etc"

    Redial Attempts: 3
    Time before redialing: 1 minute
    Idle time before hanging up: Never

    Security:

    Typical is set (Require Secured Password or Use Smart card is the only two
    that I can pick. I have "Require Secure Password" picked)

    These are all default choices. And from the SAME network, we can connect
    from one PC but not from the other.

    Galvanon, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Galvanon

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    On 06/06/2006 "Galvanon" <> wrote:
    >Hello -
    >
    >We have a client that has given us information to set up the Microsoft VPN
    >client to connect into their network.
    >
    >I have set up the VPN connection using the wizard on two machines. One
    >machine can connect to it perfectly, but the other one cannot (I get an
    >error code "Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated"
    >
    >I've been to thise KB article, but it did not help either:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310431/
    >

    >Both are Windows XP machines, with all of the service packs.
    >
    >Here are the settings on each of the tabs:
    >
    >General:
    >Just has the IP address of the destination

    >Checks next to "Display progress while connecting" and "Prompt for username,
    >password, certificate, etc"
    >
    >Redial Attempts: 3
    >Time before redialing: 1 minute
    >Idle time before hanging up: Never
    >
    >Security:
    >
    >Typical is set (Require Secured Password or Use Smart card is the only two
    >that I can pick. I have "Require Secure Password" picked)
    >

    >These are all default choices. And from the SAME network, we can connect
    >from one PC but not from the other.

    This question MUST be asked: Are you trying to connect BOTH your PCs to the
    client's VPN at the same time? VPN accounts only allows/accepts ONE (1)
    connection at a time. If you are rtying to use the same account/access name
    on both, you can not use the 2 PCs at the same time.

    --
    ---

    Y.

    Yves Leclerc, Jun 6, 2006

  3. Galvanon

    Galvanon Guest

    I thought I had answered every conceivable question but alas, I missed one.

    Yes, I am only trying to connect one at a time.

    I will connect with my working computer. It will work. I will then hang up
    that connection, and then try from my desktop. It will not work (error
    734). I will try again from my laptop, and it works again. :)

    Thanks,
    Blake

    Galvanon, Jun 6, 2006
  4. Galvanon

    R. McCarty Guest

    Check your System Event log for entries related to Service failures.

    R. McCarty, Jun 6, 2006
  5. Galvanon

    Galvanon Guest

    I cleared out my System log, and tried connecting to the VPN twice. After
    two failures, I went back to the system log, and still there we not entries
    in there.

    Any other ideas? I have BOTH of my comptuers configured the same way, but
    one works and one doesnt. (And I am not trying to connect to the both at
    the same time.)

    Galvanon, Jun 6, 2006
  6. Galvanon

    R. McCarty Guest

    Are the Service Start modes identical for both computers ?
    Click Start, Run (Type) Services.Msc [Enter]
    **Once open, click the bottom Tab "Standard" and max
    the console view, as Service description fields make it
    a little difficult to work with.

    R. McCarty, Jun 6, 2006
  7. Galvanon

    Galvanon Guest

    Which service should I be looking at?

    Galvanon, Jun 6, 2006
  8. Galvanon

    AJR Guest

    Under security you state: "...I have "Require Secure Password" picked)" -
    Did you note in the Microsoft article the following given as a cause:. "The
    dial-up connection's security option is incorrectly configured to use the
    Require secured password setting." ?

    AJR, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Galvanon

    Galvanon Guest

    I did note that, and I also explained in my origional post that I only have
    that option and "Use Smart Card" option availble. I don't have a smart
    card, so how can I use it?

    Galvanon, Jun 6, 2006
  10. Galvanon

    Galvanon Guest

    Also,

    It should be noted that I am sitting behind a Watchguard Firebox firewall.
    And now, that I've reboted the firewall, even my 'working' VPN on my laptop
    no longer works...

    Galvanon, Jun 7, 2006