Messenger decides it wants to log in, and disconnects me from MSN
Messenger.

Is there a way to make this stop?

Even better, is there a way to just get rid of Windows Messenger
altogether?

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Scott,

Whenever Messenger detects that you've "reconnected", it too will reconnect. To stop this
behavior, you'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger from starting automatically (and
therefore reconnecting). To do so, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and
click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows
starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as
'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the
background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like
Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let
it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Ask a Question