Volmgr: Event ID 46 Crash Dump Initialization failed!

E

edde

After I installed Vista SP1, I noticed two entries in the event viewer after
every boot

Event ID 46 Volmgr Event ID 46 Crash Dump Initialization failed!

I noticed quite a few people have this problem. Here was my solution.

Goto Control Panel\System and Maintenance\System
Click on "Advanced System Settings" on the left panel
Under "Startup and Recovery" select "Settings"
Make sure you have a check mark beside "Write and event to the system log"

I always disabled these settings on XP and Vista before SP1, but it appears
this causes the above error message after Vista SP1 is installed.
This worked for me, I hope it helps somebody else.

B

bug menot

I realise this is an old thread, however, it's also the #1 result on Google so I figured it deserved an answer.

If you are getting this error, chances are you have your page file on a separate partition to your boot partition.

Essentially, there are a variety of different ways you could partition your drive under Vista/7... for example, you could have your BOOT and SYSTEM partitions on the same partition, but the page file is not on the SYSTEM partition - in this instance, it will most likely prevent logging of crash dumps although I may be wrong, what I can say is that it will definitely prevent it if the BOOT partition has NTFS clusters > 4KB and it is also hosting your page file (4KB is the default, it will ONLY be larger if you specified it manually)

It should be noted that the SYSTEM partition can NEVER be formatted with > 4KB clusters or the machine will FAIL TO BOOT (indeed, if you want your main OS partition to use larger clusters for some reason such as using Volume Shadow Copy without defrag issues, then this way of doing things is pretty common)

under 7, you may well find that your BOOT partition (this is the partition that contains the OS files) is separate to your SYSTEM partition (this is the partition that the MBR will hand over to during boot) and it generally only contains the BCD database and bootmgr.

So, in order to rectify the problem you need to configure windows to have the page file on the SYSTEM partition, so you may well need to make this partition larger to accommodate it. If your computer still does not create a dump, consider configuring the location to make a dump to a folder on the SYSTEM partition.

B

bug menot

I realise this is an old thread, however, it's also the #1 result on Google so I figured it deserved an answer.

If you are getting this error, chances are you have your page file on a separate partition to your boot partition.

Essentially, there are a variety of different ways you could partition your drive under Vista/7... for example, you could have your BOOT and SYSTEM partitions on the same partition, but the page file is not on the SYSTEM partition - in this instance, it will most likely prevent logging of crash dumps although I may be wrong, what I can say is that it will definitely prevent it if the BOOT partition has NTFS clusters > 4KB and it is also hosting your page file (4KB is the default, it will ONLY be larger if you specified it manually)

It should be noted that the SYSTEM partition can NEVER be formatted with > 4KB clusters or the machine will FAIL TO BOOT (indeed, if you want your main OS partition to use larger clusters for some reason such as using Volume Shadow Copy without defrag issues, then this way of doing things is pretty common)

under 7, you may well find that your BOOT partition (this is the partition that contains the OS files) is separate to your SYSTEM partition (this is the partition that the MBR will hand over to during boot) and it generally only contains the BCD database and bootmgr.

So, in order to rectify the problem you need to configure windows to have the page file on the SYSTEM partition, so you may well need to make this partition larger to accommodate it. If your computer still does not create a dump, consider configuring the location to make a dump to a folder on the SYSTEM partition.

B

bug menot

B

bug menot

Ask a Question