VLOOKUP, correct funtion?

dee student

I'm suppose to use the VLookup to do the following: but can't figure
out the correct way to put it in the dialog box.

This is a student grading chart.
B2 & C2 are exam grades (worth 25% of grade) D2 is the final grade
(worth 50%) I need a function to get the overall score.

=(B2*0.25)+(C2*0.25)+(D2*0.5) this works, but its not the way our
instructor wants us to do it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated........

Thanks in advance.

Bob Phillips

With the information that you have given, there is nothing to lookup. What
is wrong with your method, or what other data do you have?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"dee student" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

dee student

Oops, my mistake....there is a table on the grading criteria page.
Cells: A9 to B12
Exam Type Weight
Exam 1 25%
Exam 2 25%
Final 50%

But I'm still confused about what goes where when using VLOOKUP

btw..thanks for your quick response. I hope this additional info
helps.

Bob Phillips

Assuming that B1 says Exam 1 (i.e the value to lookup), C1 says Exam 2, and
D1 probably says Exam 3 (although the last defaults), you can use

=(B2*VLOOKUP(B1,'Grading Criteria'!A9:B12,2,FALSE))+
(C2*VLOOKUP(C1,'Grading Criteria'!A9:B12,2,FALSE))+
(D2*(1-VLOOKUP(B1,'Grading Criteria'!A9:B12,2,FALSE)-VLOOKUP(C1,'Grading
Criteria'!A9:B12,2,FALSE)))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips