    It seems to be located at
    C:\Windows

    (Windows XP Home SP2)

    Guest, Aug 30, 2007

    PA Bear Guest

    to an appropriate forum.

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
    (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
    assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
    http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for expert
    analysis, not here.**

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

    PA Bear, Aug 30, 2007

    "SteveKinsey" wrote:

    > A program that seems to run on Start-up called
    > viviwsA.exe
    > also seems to do nothing. Can anyone tell me what it does, and why it is
    > useful>
    >
    > It seems to be located at
    > C:\Windows
    >

    > (Windows XP Home SP2)

    Hi Steve,
    First right click it and see its properties, like the Name of the Co, the
    version, the name of the company, date of creation, if it is a bad app it
    will not provide such a details!.
    Open the windows explorer and locate the path:
    C:\Windows\viviwsA.exe and Rename to :
    C:\Windows\viviwsA.exe.OLD then Reboot your machine and try to access all
    your applications and surf the internet, does anyone not happy?.

    Go through these cleaning steps to see or get a clear opinion on how
    clean your machine is:
    = Click Start >> Control Panel>>Network and Internet Connections >> Double
    click Internet Options.
    On the IE properties windows you will see these Taps:
    General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
    Advanced.
    Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
    Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
    [&] Browsing
    [ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
    [ ] Disable script Debugging (internet Explorer) <= check this box
    [ ] Disable Script Debugging (Other) <= check this box

    Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
    Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
    culprit and update it or remove it.
    How to manage Add-Ons:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256

    2.... And also for malware from here:
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm?s_cid=sah
    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-gb/default.htm
    http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php
    http://www.safer-networking.org ; for Spybot S&D

    Run a scan from here on-line:
    http://www.sophos.com
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym
    Download Avast Cleaner from here:
    Lots of tools to download and disinfect your machine:
    http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/site/Downloads/browseFreeRemovalTool/
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5
    =How to perform a clean boot procedure to prevent background programs from
    interfering with a game or a program that you currently use
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
    You can use FileMon for Windows v7.04 to see in realtime what running in the
    background and you can search the internet for more details about by right
    click it on the FileMon and select search the net.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/filemon.mspx
    HTH.
    nass
    -----