Vista won;t boot or repair

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Guest, Mar 6, 2007.

    over the last few days Vista has been freezing while doing CPU intensive
    tasks (editing HDV in premiere & batch resizing photos in another app),
    tonight it froze again, this time it doesn't boot up anymore (tried turning
    off for a while too), even with last known good configuration.

    on normal boot it has the green scrolling "progress" bar but never goes past
    it and no HDD lights coming on.
    With last known good config it goes to a black screen, after the green bar
    mentioned above) and no HDD lights.

    If I boot from DVD and choose repair it searches for an installed version of
    Vista (which is in the list), but searches for hours and doesn't stop (again,
    no HDD lights come on/flash)

    I can boot into my XP partition and the Vista drive is fine, I've also run
    chkdsk on it.

    If I boot into safe mode it stops with "loaded:
    \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys"
    then no more activity

    I unplugged all HDD's but my Vista drive, when booting to "repair" on the
    DVD, there's no drives in the list, if I search for drivers it can see the
    C:\ drive and everything looks like it's in place

    25% of the time when booting from the DVD it does the initial loading of
    files with the progress bar at the bottom and then stops when it gets to the
    end and nothing else happens!

    is there anything I can look at on my Vista drive, any files I can check
    for/re-copy etc?

    anyone got any ideas?

    Guest, Mar 6, 2007

    Chad Harris Guest

    Re: Vista won;t boot or repair/Try this.

    Hi Maff--

    My understanding is that you tried Startup Repair and iti searches in an
    endless loop. You've been thorough in exhausing F8 options, but remember
    that there are four safe modes available at F8, and occasionally, one of the
    safe mode accesses to system restore can work when the others won't.

    Also in my testing of the Win RE environment, and this is anecdotal, not lab
    statstical since I don't have the resources MSFT has for deploying this in
    hundreds of machines at a time, System Restore from the Recovery link on
    your DVD is also a viable option. Sometimes it works when System Restore
    from Windows which you have no access to right now, and system restore from
    F8's options don't work so I urge you to try it.

    One of the safe modes is Safe Mode with Command, so I'm going to supply you
    with the command to use from the command prompt for that particular
    category.

    If you get into any of the other safe modes (4 from F8) and one from Startup
    Repair via the Recovery Link from the Vista DVD, you have many ways to hit
    system restore, but typing restrui into the run box or restore into the
    search box above the start button will work

    So you have these to try:

    From the Win RE Recovery link on your DVD:

    System Restore

    From F8 System Restore via:

    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode VGA
    Safe Mode with Command: At the prompt you would type the command to use for
    system restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

    There is an additional tool that might help you in the Win RE panoply of
    tools. Its use is outlined here in this MSKB and that's bootrec.exe:

    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
    troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

    I would urge everyone, in the interest of having the maximum ability to
    repair Vista, to follow the directions that are linked here from the Win RE
    team's blog to load Win RE onto their hard drive, analagous to the way some
    of you loaded the Recovery Console onto your hard drive for use in Windows
    XP.

    Good luck and let us know if any of these or other suggestions help.

    CH

    Chad Harris, Mar 6, 2007

    Chad Harris Guest

    Re: Vista won;t boot or repair/Loading Win RE to HD

    How to install WinRE on the hard disk

    http://blogs.msdn.com/winre/archive/2007/01/12/how-to-install-winre-on-the-hard-disk.aspx

    CH

    Chad Harris, Mar 6, 2007

    Re: Vista won;t boot or repair/Loading Win RE to HD

    cheers, but I couldn't boot in any of the Safe mode options, stops at the
    same point every time

    anything I can do from within XP?

    Guest, Mar 6, 2007

    Chad Harris Guest

    Re: Vista won;t boot or repair/Loading Win RE to HD

    Matt--

    Nothing within XP to fix Vista that I know of, however you did not indicate
    whether

    1) You tried Safe Mode from the Recovery Environment (the same link as
    Startup Repair on the DVD

    2) You tried the MSKB for the bootrec.exe tool.

    CH

    Chad Harris, Mar 6, 2007

    Re: Vista won;t boot or repair/Loading Win RE to HD

    I didn't know what you meant by RE in your original post, but from the DVD I
    can't do anything to repair so not sure what you're saying

    I can't use bootrec.exe as I can't get into the "repair your computer" from
    the DVD (see original post)

    cheers

    Guest, Mar 6, 2007

    Chad Harris Guest

    Re: Vista won;t boot or repair/Loading Win RE to HD

    Here's what I said:

    Win RE stands for Windows Recovery Environment.

    1) You have the ability to choose safe mode from the DVD link. Have you? You
    can do a system restore from there.

    2) I presented you with an additional tool outlined in this MSKB:

    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
    troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

    Have you tried these two yet?

    CH

    Chad Harris, Mar 6, 2007