Windows Vista Vista update failure code 80070002

Reaction score
Hi,

Having just done a Vista reinstall following a hard drive replacement in a Dell M1330 I keep getting the error code 80070002 when trying to run windows updates. I found, downloaded and successfully installed SP1, however the update error persists.

Have tried this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956698/en-us

and stopping updater, deleting temp files and downloads folder as per the instructions from MS updater but still to no avail.

Have also googled this but only the two fixes above seem to be available.

Further info as per suggestions in sticky:

Motherboard vendor and model – Dell OPU073

physical memory - @*2GB DDR2 667 @ 333Mhz

CPU name – Core 2 Due t7500

Video Processor – Nividia Gforce 8400M GS

Any further ideas appreciated?

Neil.

Reaction score
Since you have done the fresh install have you been online to validat your copy of Vista..?
Also have you run any sort of Anti virus programs since the install..?
Try running Super Anti Spyware or Malwarebytes or Trend Micro Housecall and see if you have any sort of virus just to eliminate the possibility of any kind of infection..I know its a fresh install, but you'll be supprised what you can pick up and how quick you can pick it up...:thumb:

Reaction score
Yep Vista is validated.

Ran Superantispyware - nothing

Have McAfee that came with Dell.

Any other ideas?

Incidentally Madxgraphics, I think you replied to my last two threads about problems with the Dell (so thanks for that...), have now had two motherboards, two lots of ram, new hard drive and two complete vista reinstalls, what a piece of junk!

Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
Incidentally Madxgraphics, I think you replied to my last two threads about problems with the Dell (so thanks for that...), have now had two motherboards, two lots of ram, new hard drive and two complete vista reinstalls, what a piece of junk!

I thought the name looked familiar....I will have alittle look around and see waht else I can come up with for you...Yes it does seem like a piece of junk..Supprising though as Dell or normally good..My opinion obviously...

Reaction score
Right had a chat with a friebnd that knows all...Question, have you got .Net Framework installed on your computer..??

If not go HERE and download it..After its downloaded reboot computer and try updates again..Let us know how you get on...

Reaction score
Yep, tried that already followed then by the directory deletes described by m'soft, the reboot, then re-ran updates, same problem!

Its looking more and more like a full reinstall, if it gets to that am seriously considering giving ubuntu a whirl, but, having already tried it as a dual boot discovered it wont recognise nvidia 8400M GPU and so performance is pretty shocking, plus really need MS office for work....

Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
Yep, tried that already followed then by the directory deletes described by m'soft, the reboot, then re-ran updates, same problem!

Its looking more and more like a full reinstall, if it gets to that am seriously considering giving ubuntu a whirl, but, having already tried it as a dual boot discovered it wont recognise nvidia 8400M GPU and so performance is pretty shocking, plus really need MS office for work....

Try Linux mint

Reaction score
Hi madxgraphics, any further suggestions? Realistically linux not an option, getting to the point of trying a complete reinstall yet again, not installing mcafee or anyhting else and repeatedly running vista update to see if i can get past whatever is causing me the problem, this never happened before - thoughts?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
Hi madxgraphics, any further suggestions? Realistically linux not an option, getting to the point of trying a complete reinstall yet again, not installing mcafee or anyhting else and repeatedly running vista update to see if i can get past whatever is causing me the problem, this never happened before - thoughts?
Do not install MCrapee ... ever. ;)

You will need to clean reinstall vista, MS fixes don't work as advertised.

You are using a genuine Vista DVD ? or is it a Dell cock-up CD?

:user:

Reaction score
Its a Dell cock up CD...?

Should I try and get another original CD for Vista home premium then use the verification number from mine for the legitimate license but without all the dell crap?

What would you suggest as an alternative to mcafee - avast?

Reaction score
Of course having paid for mcafee and having never had any virus issues I would be inclined to continue using it unless you recon its likely to be the cause of my problems?

Is it worth trying a reinstall with the Dell vista version?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
Of course having paid for mcafee and having never had any virus issues I would be inclined to continue using it unless you recon its likely to be the cause of my problems?

Is it worth trying a reinstall with the Dell vista version?
Yes, try again without installing MCrapee (sorry, dunno how to write MCrapee any other way) if that fails, by all means try and borrow a "real" Vista DVD and use your credentials to install.

I only recommend NOD32 these days. You be lucky to see any viruses at all, it's the Trojans, worms & malware that a lot of AV vendors are week on detecting. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
Thought I would report back that after the second further attempt at a full reinstall I managed to get past whatever update was causing me the problem and am now fully installed and up to date again!

Thank god for that, hopefully trouble free computing now until my next GPU failure, scheduled within the next six months I guess by their previous life spans.

I had a go with ubuntu, its pretty good but too much of an arseache for general use, far too complicated to set up for the simple things.