Vista system file corruption and sfc problem

I’ve a Vista Ultimate installed on a DELL Latitude D620 laptop. The problem
started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching Clone War
(1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various scanning
programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are corrupted. I
tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after starting
the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m able to
boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things are not
working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop right click
menu.

Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a whole bunch
of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have time to
look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.

Please help!

JimR

mitvah said:
[...]

If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a repair
install of Vista.

Rock

JimR said:
If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
repair install of Vista.

I'm unsure of what you mean here. How do you do a repair install of Vista?
An in place upgrade that was available in XP was not carried over to Vista.

JimR

Rock said:
I'm unsure of what you mean here. How do you do a repair install of
Vista? An in place upgrade that was available in XP was not carried over
to Vista.

If you start the Vista DVD while in Vista, begin the installation,you will
be offered the ability to "upgrade". An upgrade over a current install of
Vista has the same effect as a repair install in XP in that it will install
Vista while keeping intact your documents, settings and programs.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Right now a reinstall or upgrade may be the best choice.
From the looks of the log file the prblem appears to be corruption in the
store which is causing this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "JimR" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
|>Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:43:58 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance

|>> problem
|>> started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching Clone
|>> War
|>> (1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various
|>> scanning
|>> programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are
corrupted. I
|>> tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after
starting
|>> the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:
|>>
|>> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
|>>
|>> Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m
able to
|>> boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things
are
|>> not
|>> working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop
right
|>> click
|>> menu.
|>>
|>> Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a whole
|>> bunch
|>> of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have time
|>> look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.
|>>
|>> Please help!
|>

|>If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
repair
|>install of Vista.
|>
|>--
|>Jim

Thanks Jim & Darrell!

I like the reinstall idea and I'm in the process of tyring it. I started the
install from within Windows environment but didn't get the upgrade option
first time as it needs ~8GB free space on the system drive. I've Vista
installed on a 20GB partition but only had ~4GB free, so I'm working on
cleaning up some space but it seems to be a tough order at this point. I'll
post the results once I'm able to create the space.

Regards,

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Right now a reinstall or upgrade may be the best choice.
From the looks of the log file the prblem appears to be corruption in the
store which is causing this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "JimR" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
|>Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:43:58 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance

|>> problem
|>> started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching Clone
|>> War
|>> (1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various
|>> scanning
|>> programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are
corrupted. I
|>> tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after
starting
|>> the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:
|>>
|>> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
|>>
|>> Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m
able to
|>> boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things
are
|>> not
|>> working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop
right
|>> click
|>> menu.
|>>
|>> Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a whole
|>> bunch
|>> of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have time
|>> look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.
|>>
|>> Please help!
|>

|>If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
repair
|>install of Vista.
|>
|>--
|>Jim

JimR

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Right now a reinstall or upgrade may be the best choice.
From the looks of the log file the prblem appears to be corruption in the
store which is causing this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
|>From: "JimR" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
|>Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:43:58 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance

|>> problem
|>> started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching
Clone
|>> War
|>> (1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various
|>> scanning
|>> programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are
corrupted. I
|>> tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after
starting
|>> the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:
|>>
|>> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested
operation.

|>> Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m
able to
|>> boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things
are
|>> not
|>> working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop
right
|>> click
|>> menu.
|>>
|>> Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a
whole
|>> bunch
|>> of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have
time
|>> look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.
|>>
|>> Please help!
|>

|>If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
repair
|>install of Vista.
|>
|>--
|>Jim

What I've done on small partitions is to delete hiberfil.sys, turn off
system restore, and move the page file to another partition. That should be
good for about 4gb.

Rock

JimR said:
If you start the Vista DVD while in Vista, begin the installation,you will
be offered the ability to "upgrade". An upgrade over a current install of
Vista has the same effect as a repair install in XP in that it will
install Vista while keeping intact your documents, settings and programs.

Jim have you actually done that? I read one report where it didn't work.
But that was a long time ago, I don't recollect the context, but they had
problems with the installation after trying it. I have not seen any
definitive information on this process.

Chad Harris also has mentioned this in a recent post and I have a query to
him about it. Thanks for following up on the question.

Rock

Hi Darrell, can you confirm whether one can do a repair install, buy
reinstalling Vista on top of itself to fix problems as in the in place
upgrade in XP?

Thanks

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Right now a reinstall or upgrade may be the best choice.
From the looks of the log file the prblem appears to be corruption in the
store which is causing this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "JimR" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
|>Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:43:58 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance

|>> problem
|>> started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching
Clone
|>> War
|>> (1) on my computer. Iâ?Tve since done a few clean scans using various
|>> scanning
|>> programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are
corrupted. I
|>> tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after
starting
|>> the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:
|>>
|>> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
|>>
|>> Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. Iâ?Tm
able to
|>> boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things
are
|>> not
|>> working e.g. I canâ?Tt open the personalize window from the desktop
right
|>> click
|>> menu.
|>>
|>> Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a whole
|>> bunch
|>> of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have time
|>> look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.
|>>
|>> Please help!
|>

|>If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
repair
|>install of Vista.
|>
|>--
|>Jim

JimR

Rock said:
Jim have you actually done that? I read one report where it didn't work.
But that was a long time ago, I don't recollect the context, but they had
problems with the installation after trying it. I have not seen any
definitive information on this process.

Chad Harris also has mentioned this in a recent post and I have a query to
him about it. Thanks for following up on the question.

I have actually done this on two computers running Vista Ultimate and it
worked just like a repair install in XP. I did use a full version of Vista
if that makes a difference. I'm glad I didn't read that this didn't work or
I might not have tried it. :)

Rock

JimR said:
JimR said:
[...]

Thanks, Jim.

Rock

JimR said:
Rock said:
JimR said:
[...]

Jim what problems where these systems having that prompted you to try this?
And the reinstall helped? Had you tried the other recovery mechanisms
including system restore and startup repair? Data and applications were
retained, is that right?

JimR

Rock said:
JimR said:
Rock said:
[...]

Rock,

On one system I could not get Media Center to launch and I could not get the
Search Indexer to work. It was a clean install on a box I built for Vista.
Other than the Media Center and Search issues, the system was stable and
fast and every feature and app worked perfectly. My best guess is that on
this system either the chipset drivers or raid drivers ( updated for Vista
compatibility about 2 months after initial install) might have caused a less
than perfect install. The repair install corrected the two issues I was
having.

The second system ( not mine ) is a little more interesting. The original
complaint was Internet Explorer was hanging and the mail database
disappeared from Outlook 2007.
Here's what I found - IE asking to be the default browser when no other
browsers were present, screen saver failure, poor performance, slow boot,
occasional lock up, no system restore points, and ( seperate issue ) a
corrupt Business Contact Manager database. The bottom line was a lot of apps
were added and some removed and I wasn't ever going to get the full story.
So, I uninstalled the apps I thought didn't belong, did a virus and malware
scan ( no malware found), did a repair install of Vista. The computer now
works perfectly ( fixed the Outlook issue seperately). No data or settings
were lost and all apps work.
I didn't try any of the other recovery options because they were not
appropriate solutions to the issues at hand and in the case of the second
computer, system restore was DOA.

I did the repair install on the first computer because although the issues
were minor, I was unable to find solutions in these newsgroups or online and
I really wanted every feature to work even though I don't use media center
or search very often.

I was really pleased with the results on the second one because it was a
"real world' scenario- lots of problems, little history.

Thanks agian Jim and yes, I also did exactly that to get the remaining 4GB. I
just finished installing Vista upgrade on top of my exisiting corrupted Vista
and it worked great, no problems at all. I was also ran the sfc /scannow
after the install and it reports no errors now ...

V:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 99% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

-Sanjay

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Right now a reinstall or upgrade may be the best choice.
From the looks of the log file the prblem appears to be corruption in the
store which is causing this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
|>From: "JimR" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
|>Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:43:58 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance

|>> problem
|>> started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching
Clone
|>> War
|>> (1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various
|>> scanning
|>> programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are
corrupted. I
|>> tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after
starting
|>> the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:
|>>
|>> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested
operation.

|>> Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m
able to
|>> boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things
are
|>> not
|>> working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop
right
|>> click
|>> menu.
|>>
|>> Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a
whole
|>> bunch
|>> of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have
time
|>> look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.
|>>
|>> Please help!
|>

|>If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
repair
|>install of Vista.
|>
|>--
|>Jim

What I've done on small partitions is to delete hiberfil.sys, turn off
system restore, and move the page file to another partition. That should be
good for about 4gb.

Rock

Interesting, especially that second system with quite a few problems.
Thanks for the details, Jim.
--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

JimR said:
[...]

Hello Rock,
While the behavior in Windows Vista is different, the result should be the
same.
You should be able to upgrade from inside Windows to "fix" or "repair" a
system.
If you can run setup this should be able to fix some problems particularly
problems where files or registry settings need to go back to defaults.
Applications, drivers and users accounts should still be present after the
upgrade. As always a backup of data is recomended to be safe.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Rock" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
|>Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 17:43:22 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|>Hi Darrell, can you confirm whether one can do a repair install, buy
|>reinstalling Vista on top of itself to fix problems as in the in place
|>upgrade in XP?
|>
|>Thanks
|>
|>--
|>Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
|>
|>> Hello,
|>> Right now a reinstall or upgrade may be the best choice.
|>> From the looks of the log file the prblem appears to be corruption in
the
|>> store which is causing this.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

The
|>> Clone
|>> corrupted. I
|>> starting

|>> able to
|>> are
|>> right

|>> repair

Rock

Thanks so much Darrell.
--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Rock,
While the behavior in Windows Vista is different, the result should be the
same.
You should be able to upgrade from inside Windows to "fix" or "repair" a
system.
If you can run setup this should be able to fix some problems particularly
problems where files or registry settings need to go back to defaults.
Applications, drivers and users accounts should still be present after the
upgrade. As always a backup of data is recomended to be safe.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Rock" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
|>Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 17:43:22 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|>Hi Darrell, can you confirm whether one can do a repair install, buy
|>reinstalling Vista on top of itself to fix problems as in the in place
|>upgrade in XP?
|>
|>Thanks
|>
|>--
|>Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
|>
|>> Hello,
|>> Right now a reinstall or upgrade may be the best choice.
|>> From the looks of the log file the prblem appears to be corruption in
the
|>> store which is causing this.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

The
|>> Clone
|>> corrupted. I
|>> starting

Iâ?Tm
|>> able to
|>> are
|>> right

|>> repair

are you saying that a vista (home premium) repair install obviates a backup?
i have not tried a repair install but i need one - or so i'm told - and going
through a dry one, i was prompted to backup my personal files.

Jim,

how do you know that a repair install is the best choice remedy?

i have similar problems. the ms tech tells me, based on the sfc /scannow >>
cbs.txt revealing irreparable -and unidentified - corrupted files, that i
need to reinstall vista. on my own, i ran sfc /verifyonly; the resulting
cbs.txt (35MB of it!!) identified the *only* corrupted file is a windows true
font called mingliu.ttc!!

elsewhere in this newsgroup, another mvp (from whom i'm awaiting a response)
tells me that this cannot possibly be the cause of my inability to activate
windows firewall (windows firewall was deactivated for the installation of ms
onecare. onecare was uninstalled after 2 weeks), inability to tuirn on the
security center, and an ie7 problem with (so it has been suggested) Ajax
technology.

so, how do you know when a *repair install* is the remedy of choice?

as i understood you, a repair install obviates backup of personal files - is
this correct?

can you delineate the "repair install" procedure - i can't understand what
else is possible. (as opposed to what other type of install)?

what symptoms and circumstances suggest that *restore* is the remedy of
choice?

and what other remedies are usually found in the doctor's little black bag?

JimR said:
Rock said:
JimR said:
[...]

Greetings Darrell

what causes file corruptions? why are some corruptions so mutant that they
cannot be repaired (why can't /scannow just replace it?)

after a repair install, it becomes necessary to use the personal backup,
isn't it possible that the corrupted files are *in the backup*? if this is
the case then you will have repair install'ed with no benefit conferred! (am
i making sense?)