Vista RTM MUI

Vista Enterprise and Ultimate is supposed to have full MUI capabilities.
Furthermore, it is said to have a per-user display language capability,
however I cannot find any solid information on this topic, so I'd be really
glad if someone here could explain me how adding new display languages really
work and where I could find information about the supported locales.

What does for example installing a new display language mean in licensing
terms? Do I need to own two licenses to be able to have two different d.ls?
Is this an Ultimate-only feature, or does that only apply to the ability to
create custom setup images with different languages preloaded. Will localized
Vista installers still come out or how will languages later be added to the
installer?

Thanks for the help in advance.

All Vista SKUs have full MUI capabilities but you can only install additional
MUI language packs on Vista Enterprise and Ultimate SKUs only. You can
install LIP on all Vista SKUs though. By full MUI capabilities, I mean will
load the right language resources in your application.

With Vista Enterprise and Ultimate, you can install as many MUI language
packs or LIP as you want (within your hardware's capabilities). You won't
need additional license to install the additional languages.

In Vista, the codes are stored in separate files from the localizable
resources. Installing additional languages will add additional localizable
resources in the different languages to your system. To read more about MUI,
see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/intl/mui_MUI.asp

There will be localized Vista available in about 32 languages.

Thanks,
Sayuri

Sayuri Wijaya | Program Manager @ MUI | Ask me about installing additional
languages on your Vista

K.S.Sathish

Sauri Vijaya,

can you plz tell me about this in details, for eg, i can have English and
other user may be my family can have local languages like tamil/telugu etc?

Thankx

K.S.Sathish Pillai

Sayuri Wijaya [MSFT]

Hi,

Yes, Vista Ultimate allows you to change your display language in English
and in other languages like tamil/telugu for your family members on the same
machine. I can't remember the entire list of language packs that we'll
release for Vista. Assuming that we are releasing tamil & telugu, you can do
the above.

"Sayuri Wijaya [MSFT]" <Sayuri Wijaya [MSFT]@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
[...]

rights.

K.S.Sathish

Hi, Sayuri Vijaya,

thankyou for the information, ill try & let you know if there is any
problems.
K.S.Sathish

:

[...]

I have the RTM Vista Ultimate installed but cannot find any MUI or language
packs anywhere. I searched through the installation DVD and MSDN download as
well as Microsoft website but did not find anything. Is there any MUI
actually released? If not, when will they become available?

Thanks.

35 language packs will be available for users of Windows Vista Ultimate,
through Windows Ultimate Extras.

--Szajd

Szia :)

As of yesterday, 15 languages have been posted on UE. These include
Chinese Simplified/Chinese Hong Kong, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French,
German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian,
Spanish and Swedish.

I am really hoping for a Hungarian language pack in the near future, but if
you say 35 language packs, hu-HU should be released eventually. Right now I
use Japanese and English on my computer and MUI is simply amazing. A word of
warning though: even though the OS is supposed to be language-independent,
this does not mean that all application will work properly. The application
must support localization, if not, then the default codepage/locale is used.
It doesn't necessarily mean that the application will break, but garbled text
can still occur :(

Where can one find a definitive list of available MUI packs for Vista
Ultimate? In particular, I am looking for the Estonian MUI. Support info
on Microsoft sites is nonspecific on what languages are supported and when.
I really do not like the way language packs may or may not mysteriously
appear on Windows update.

Regards.

wrote in message
[...]

dean-dean

Here's a list. As to whether it's definitive, I don't know.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=337746#337746

Sayuri Wijaya said:
Hi,

Yes, Vista Ultimate allows you to change your display language in English
and in other languages like tamil/telugu for your family members on the
same
machine. I can't remember the entire list of language packs that we'll
release for Vista. Assuming that we are releasing tamil & telugu, you can
do
the above.

Sayuri Wijaya | Program Manager @ MUI | Ask me about installing
additional
languages on your Vista

rights.

rights

wrote in message
[...]

Jacob

Is there any way to get MUI on Vista Home? I'm wanting to install the
Chinese language support onto my Vista Home laptop but am having trouble
figuring out how.

Jacob

Mike Brannigan

Jacob said:
Is there any way to get MUI on Vista Home? I'm wanting to install the
Chinese language support onto my Vista Home laptop but am having trouble
figuring out how.

Jacob

Simple answer - No.

MUI requires the higher end versions, such as Enterprise or Ultimate.

Of course you course you could have found this out yourself if you had
bothered to look
see
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/35a1b021-d96c-49a5-8d8f-5e9d64ab5ecc1033.mspx

If you want more features then upgrade.