    in 2000 and XP.
    Thanks,

    Matt

    mcneely, Jan 9, 2008

  2. Do you know the University uses a proxy server? Or do you a XP to test it?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jan 9, 2008

  3. mcneely

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 06:59:07 -0800, mcneely <>
    wrote:

    >We have a Dell with Vista running on it. we connected it to the university
    >network and are not able to get any browser to find any web site.
    >I open a command line and do a ping both with ip address numbers and via
    >name and ping works fine so there is network connectivity and name server
    >access. I can't find any answer to why the browser will not work. I have
    >tried the microsoft browser and mozilla neither will work.
    >
    >Does any one have any ideas? I am a nubie to Vista. but pretty well versed
    >in 2000 and XP.
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Matt

    Matt,

    I'll give you 2 alternatives.

    Depending upon your Internet service, your MTU may be too large. This will
    cause the old " ... cannot find web site ..." and similar symptoms.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/determining-mtu-to-single-server.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/determining-mtu-to-single-server.html

    And it's always possible that LSP / Winsock corruption is involved.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

    Chuck [MVP], Jan 9, 2008
  4. mcneely

    mcneely Guest

    We do not have a proxy server. xp machines connect just fine.

    mcneely, Jan 9, 2008
  5. Then try to start Vista with clean boot. Please post back with the result.

    Troubleshooting Vista with clean bootHow to run Windows OS with a clean
    ....How to run Windows OS with a clean boot ... when you cannot determine the
    cause of the issue, you may run Windows Safe ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=778

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jan 9, 2008