Windows Vista Vista indexer stops working

Reaction score
(I'm sure this must already be on this forum somewhere!)
My Vista search indexer invariably stops with the message "Microsoft search indexer stopped working and was closed A problem caused the application to stop working ..."
I've tried a variety of guaranteed solutions from other forums, which have served only to make the problem more persistent. I can live without the indexer, but since it's almost the only good thing about Vista it seems a pity.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Did you get a specific error message, with a number ?

The simply solution for many is to ... delete the "Config" and "Data" folders located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search ... Vista should then rebuild the data, this may take some time. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
No luck so far

muckshifter said:
Did you get a specific error message, with a number ?
muckshifter said:
No, just a small window with the text I described

The simply solution for many is to ... delete the "Config" and "Data" folders located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search ... Vista should then rebuild the data, this may take some time. ;)
Tried this. On rebooting I got the same message as before. The folder Search that you mention above was still empty. I went to the "Windows Search" window under "Services" (Search was reported as stopped) and clicked the Start button, when I got "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".

Hmm...

Chris

Ask a Question