Vista Home Premium Freezes using front USB ports

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Guest, Apr 9, 2007.

    I'm having an unusual problem with the front USB ports of my computer, and I
    need to go through a process of elimination before determining where the
    fault resides. Here is my system configuration:

    Athlon XP 64x2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU
    Antec P180 Mid-Tower Case
    DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR/G Motherboard
    Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
    2 GB RAM (Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 DIMM x 2)
    ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express Video Card w/ 512MB RAM
    Belkin 5-Port PCI USB 2.0 Card
    Western Digital WD1600JSRTL SATA 300 MB/s Hard Drive (x 2)
    LG GSA-H10L Lightscribe DVD Burner
    Iomega Internal Zip Drive 250

    When I plug a USB flash drive - any USB flash drive - into the rear USB 2.0
    ports on my system, whether they're directly on the motherboard or on the
    Belkin PCI card, the drive is recognized immediately and installs without a
    hitch. If I plug any of these drives into the front USB 2.0 ports of my
    system, Vista makes a sound acknowledging the connection, then locks up. I
    can't even invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I have to do a hard
    restart.

    I presume the problem isn't with the motherboard since the onboard USB ports
    work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on the case
    and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because the OS
    recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
    although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up front as
    well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference, and
    I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the front
    USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go back to
    my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

    Regards,

    Ron

    Guest, Apr 9, 2007

  2. Download and install the following update:

    Reliability update for the USB stack in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Apr 9, 2007

    kirk jim Guest

    Tell me MVP Sir, if this is not in autoupdate,
    how will millions of people find it when they run into problems?

    kirk jim, Apr 9, 2007

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Kirk

    Tell me that you are serious with that answer(> how will millions of people find it when they run into problems?)

    They find it like Carey or many others including myself. All it takes is to search the KB by putting in the correct search line in the search box on the MS KB site and reading the results and selecting the one from many that is associated with that issue.

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Apr 9, 2007

    kirk jim Guest

    Peter, most people can barley search on Google...
    Lots of people browse the internet by putting the address in their homepage
    that is Google and not the address box...lol You think people are computer
    literate.. yet you would be surprised....

    Take this newsgroup for example...You would think that in here would be some
    of very knowlagble folk...
    the percentage of us that really know whats going on
    in a operating system is perhaps 1-2%. The rest are people who claim that
    vista runs
    fast on 512 mb and is faster than XP! lol Some say that speed is all about
    "feeling" and these are MVPees too!

    vistaboys :) Don't expect much from em.

    kirk jim, Apr 9, 2007

    Nina DiBoy Guest

    "Ron Miller" wrote:

    | I'm having an unusual problem with the front USB ports of my computer,
    and I
    | need to go through a process of elimination before determining where the
    | fault resides. Here is my system configuration:
    |
    | Athlon XP 64x2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU
    | Antec P180 Mid-Tower Case
    | DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR/G Motherboard
    | Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
    | 2 GB RAM (Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 DIMM x 2)
    | ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express Video Card w/ 512MB RAM
    | Belkin 5-Port PCI USB 2.0 Card
    | Western Digital WD1600JSRTL SATA 300 MB/s Hard Drive (x 2)
    | LG GSA-H10L Lightscribe DVD Burner
    | Iomega Internal Zip Drive 250
    |
    | When I plug a USB flash drive - any USB flash drive - into the rear
    USB 2.0
    | ports on my system, whether they're directly on the motherboard or on the
    | Belkin PCI card, the drive is recognized immediately and installs
    without a
    | hitch. If I plug any of these drives into the front USB 2.0 ports of my
    | system, Vista makes a sound acknowledging the connection, then locks
    up. I
    | can't even invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I have to do
    a hard
    | restart.
    |
    | I presume the problem isn't with the motherboard since the onboard USB
    ports
    | work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on
    the case
    | and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because
    the OS
    | recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
    | although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up
    front as
    | well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference, and
    | I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the
    front
    | USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go
    back to
    | my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Ron

    Hi Ron. It sounds to me as though your front ports are bad too. Have
    you tried any other usb devices in them?

    --
    Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
    http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

    Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
    "poor little MADAM albright still got your knickers twisted. how are we
    supposed to believe you know anything about computers when you cannot
    even dress your self. oh and pull that skirt down."

    "Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
    - T. S. Eliot

    Nina DiBoy, Apr 9, 2007

    I'll be -- it worked! I was almost certain that it was a hardware problem
    with the front ports of the case. Many, many thanks!

    Regards,

    Ron

    Guest, Apr 14, 2007

    That was my thought, but the software solution Carey Frisch recommended did
    the trick. I'm not sure I understand why, but I'm not going to complain!

    Regards,

    Ron

    Guest, Apr 14, 2007

    Joe Guidera Guest

    Yeah, that's been an outstanding issue on certain machines since last year.
    Looks like the fix has finally been released to the public.

    Joe Guidera, Apr 14, 2007