Windows Vista Vista Home Prem ~ Slow Startup

Reaction score
My pc(laptop) runs windows vista home prem & is very slow starting up.
Anything i can do tomake it go quicker?
Thanks in advance!

PS Update: running scan disk & defragging the hard drives!

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yep - upgrade to Win 7 :lol:

Sorry :blush:

Vista does have an extrememly long load time.

You can disable UAC, that may make it load faster. You can also disable some programs starting automatically using config.sys but at the end of the day I think you'll just have to suffer Vista's long load time.

Also using Ccleaner may help (free software that cleans out unwanted detritus from your hard drive)

Advice: Switch on computer; put kettle on, make tea/coffee. enjoy tasty hot beverage, return to computer - it will be ready to use :)

Odd, when you think how Win 3.1 boots to start screen in about 15 seconds - that's progress for you :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you fire up MSConfig.exe and take a look at the startup tab - it could be that you have lots of things loading automatically. You can then uninstall those applications or configure them not to start when your PC boots. I have to admit, I personally wouldn't disable UAC - as although it can be a pain it does do some helpful things sometimes :).

As flops as already mentioned, Windows 7 is quite a bit faster (especially on boot) than Vista - but I guess that would cost about £60 to upgrade (and I'd strongly suggest a clean install). My old laptop with a 1.3Ghz CPU works really well with Windows 7, but it chugged under Vista.

Reaction score
I may and get the upgrade to Windows7 then.
Thanks for you advice gents.
Got harvesting coming up so might do it in late september when i have time!!!

Ask a Question