Vista as a RDP server and XP as a client

John Jay Smith

I am testing Vista as a RDP server and XP as a client, and there is
no sound via RDP.. is it something about vista that has a problem?

--
Disclaimer: This info is given "as is".
If you do not like the content or attitude of my posts,

roman modic

Hello!

John Jay Smith said:
I am testing Vista as a RDP server and XP as a client, and there is
no sound via RDP.. is it something about vista that has a problem?

Well, Vista is beta. But you can try new Vista RDP 6.0 Client in XP:
http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/arch...ent-on-Window-XP-the-quick-and-dirty-way.html
This Works-For-Me(tm) as of Build 5308 of Windows Vista/Longhorn aka Feb 2006 CTP.

Copy mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll from your Vista install's System32 directory (aka %SystemRoot%\System32) to your XP machine.

In the directory that you copied those files to, create a directory that matches your MUI language, for instance, for English (US),
this would be a directory called "en-US".

Copy mstsc.exe.mui and mstscax.dll.mui from your Vista install's System32\en-US [replace en-US with your MUI] to your newly created
MUI directory.

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...thread/6bb236d26476cefb/#doc_72dcc60a46a101f1

Open a command prompt in that folder and run
regsvr32 mstscax.dll
to make sure the correct version is registered.

I also think that 32-bit color depth is supported (so it was planned)
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...v.clients/browse_frm/thread/d4fc860dc6265ae7/

Cheers, Roman

John Jay Smith

yes but can you ore someone else confirm that the lack of sound is because
of vista or am I doing something else that is wrong?

--
Disclaimer: This info is given "as is".
If you do not like the content or attitude of my posts,
please put me on your ignore list or dont read my posts.

--
roman modic said:
Hello!

John Jay Smith said:
[...]

Zack Whittaker \(R2 Mentor\)

OK, bring up your Remote Desktop Connection box, click the Options box,
click Local Resources, and make sure the first option is "Bring to this
computer".

On the remote computer - the speakers need to be turned on as well (seems to
be a bug in Vista), and also check that the volume is turned up... but *make
sure* that the "Wave" volume is set to maximum as well.

If that doesn't work, bug it :blush:)

--
Zack Whittaker
» ZackNET Enterprises: www.zacknet.co.uk

--- Original message follows ---
John Jay Smith said:
yes but can you ore someone else confirm that the lack of sound is because
of vista or am I doing something else that is wrong?

--
Disclaimer: This info is given "as is".
If you do not like the content or attitude of my posts,
please put me on your ignore list or dont read my posts.

--
roman modic said:
Hello!

John Jay Smith said:
[...]

1) Of course I had "bring to my computer" enabled
2) What you say is incorrect. A OS does not care if it has speakers,
earphones
or nothing at all pluged in to the output jack, unless the speakers are USB.
3) Congratulations! Indeed turning on the volume on the pc locally enabled
the remote desktop to get sound. This is indeed a bug in vista.. it should
not be
like that... here is a screenshot of what I have.. (I have a 2 monitor
system)

http://www.computerboom.net/support/vista-rdp-on-xp.jpg

Thanks

www.computerboom.com

--

John Jay Smith said:
yes but can you ore someone else confirm that the lack of sound is
because
of vista or am I doing something else that is wrong?

--
Disclaimer: This info is given "as is".
If you do not like the content or attitude of my posts,
please put me on your ignore list or dont read my posts.

--
roman modic said:
Hello!

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
[...]

Wow, it's nice sometimes not to know when someone insults you or thanks
you... perhaps both!

--

John Jay Smith said:
[...]

Zack :) I know I was not clear on purpose :)

Let me clarify...
I thank you very much for your help... indeed I would not have thought
of turning up the volume on the actual machine. I am sure others will
benefit from this information also if they find it on the newsgroups.

Can you tell me what a R2 Mentor is?

Just curious...

--
Kenny - www.ComputerBoom.com
Take a look at my site!

--

John Jay Smith said:
[...]

LOL :blush:P Yeh...

Put it this way... soon it'll be "MSFT" after the name instead ;o)

--
Zack Whittaker
» ZackNET Enterprises: www.zacknet.co.uk
» MSBlog on ResDev: www.msblog.org
» Vista Knowledge Base: www.vistabase.co.uk
» This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and not
of my employer, best friend, Ghandi, my mother or my cat. Glad we cleared
that up!

--- Original message follows ---
""Scøtt Lovegrove [ScottIsAFool]""