Windows Vista Vista Activation on 2nd drive

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a very quick qustion I am looking to upgrade hard drive to 500gb would I be able to activate windows vista on my new 500gb because I have allready activateted it once on the old hard drive do I need to buy a new copy of vista??

Can you please let me know,

Thanks,

wizkid

Reaction score
Yes you will be able to install> as it`s the MOBO that counts with Vista meaning if you up-grade the MOBOVista will not allow you to?

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this should be in support forums but I don't see why I need to start a new post just for a very quick quston.

As you can tell from my posts above that i'm looking to upgrade my Hard Drive I am going to get another 250gb not 500gb so I will have 2x 250gb hdds in comp, do I need to set up raid? How do I do this is it in the BIOS enable raid support? do I need to also put the driver cd in that came wih my mobo as well??

Can somone please advise.

Thanks,

wizkid

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're going to have 2 x 250Gb disks then you may as well leave your Vista installation where it is and add the new 250Gb disk as storage.

No, you don't need to use RAID 0 at all.

If your motherboard supports RAID you could use it but you'd have to set up a new RAID array (see your motherboard manual) and this would wipe everything currently on your old 250Gb drive.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with RAID, just stick as you are and add your new drive. When you first install it you may need to go into Vista's disk management and format it.

Reaction score
Hi Flops,

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

Thats what I;m going to do just install it as storage to install games on will I be able to install games on the other hard drive that I'm using for storage and put a shortcut on the desktop on the hard drive with Vista and then run it from that one? or do I need to run it from the storage hard drive??

Can you please advise.

Thanks,

wizkid

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When you install a game, choose the 'custom' install rather than automatic. Usually you'll have a chance during install to select 'add a desktop shortcut' and most importantly, select the drive the game is installed to.

Providing you do that, just click away on your desktop or quick launch shortcut and you'll be good to go.

That goes for any other software other than games as well.

Reaction score
Hi Flops,

Thanks for the reply.

So if install a game and it has no option to put a shortcut on the desktop can I just make one and put it on there right??

wizkid

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That link just goes to a general site page.

Never heard of that supplier - they any good?

Couple of suggestions (£8.00 postage, unfortunately at this site):

Hitachi

Samsung

Reaction score
Hi Flops,

They seem to be fine I bought a computer case form them one that lights up and you can see though it was at a good price and its well built.

Thanks for the ideas,

I have found another hdd that seems ok as well.

http://www.tsgsystems.co.uk/online/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=SAMSUNG+HD+SERIAL+500GB

Can you please tell me if its better to buy an 8mb Cache or 16mb hdd.

The resaon I am asking about these drivers is because I'm off to a computer fair tomoorw in southampton.

Can you please advise,

Thanks,

wizkid

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The bigger the hdd cache the better, therefore 16mb better than 8mb.

It's memory to store in/out commands, is all.

But in the real world, you'll never really notice the difference between 8 & 16 mb.

Reaction score
Hi Flops,

Thanks for the reply.

I am happy for you to move this post to the support forum as I think this is a support question.

As you might already know I have an GA965P DQ6 REV 1 motherboard and an Seagate 250 sata 11 hdd and a asus disk drive as well this is also sata, in the BIOS this is sowing as IDE connectors and not SATA connectors why is this is it because sata support is not enabled in the bios or could this be a fault with the motherboard?? I have had this checked by a computer shop but I think there is something still not right about this.

Can you please advise.

Thanks.

wizkid

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Any Ideas on the post above??

wizkid

Nope.

If it's all working ok don't worry about it. I do believe some bios's will show sata devices as pata (IDE) devices.

So, are you getting a 250Gb or 500Gb drive? You be changing your mind more often than a big girlie :D

Reaction score
Yea I know I have been looking on the internet at the hard drive that I bogught. I will be using this one for storage for a bit then I'm going to install Vista on it and have it as the main drive and then use my other 250gb to install games and software on.

wizkid

Ask a Question