virus perhaps????

faris

Having a major problem with computer. can't open most
programs from windows XP...i.e. all windows games, all
the options from the control panel. Therefore, I also
cannot restore the computer...The error is: "This file
does not have a program associated with it for performing
this action. Create an association in the folder options
control panel." I can access the folder options but I am
not sure what the original settings were for the various
files there and their extensions. Does anyone know how I
can get around this problem and restore my computer. I
also have tried to reinstall windows XP but the computer
does not allow me to choose this option from the disc.
Seems all .exe files (which are most of them) do not work
and come up with this message...any advice? Please
HELP!!!

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP-Windows Shell/User\)

It sounds as though you do have a virus and the first thing you need to do
is run a virus check. If you can't run the AV program, did your antivirus
program give you the option of creating recovery disks and did you do so?

Failing that, if you can get online, there's a site which will run the scan
online and might be able to remove the virus:
http://housecall.antivirus.com/explorer.html

Joined
Jun 5, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
having the same problem

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"faris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having a major problem with computer. can't open most
> programs from windows XP...i.e. all windows games, all
> the options from the control panel. Therefore, I also
> cannot restore the computer...The error is: "This file
> does not have a program associated with it for performing
> this action. Create an association in the folder options
> control panel." I can access the folder options but I am
> not sure what the original settings were for the various
> files there and their extensions. Does anyone know how I
> can get around this problem and restore my computer. I
> also have tried to reinstall windows XP but the computer
> does not allow me to choose this option from the disc.
> Seems all .exe files (which are most of them) do not work
> and come up with this message...any advice? Please
> HELP!!!

I came home from vacation and it appears my non-computer savvy housesitter did something funky or I got a virus. I am not able to open any .exe and am looking for how to redo the file association for it... HELP!!!
I can't run anything that will allow me to restore, can't run any AV progs other than the one you linked to above. If I could just fix the .exe association problem, a whole world of options would open, like restore points which would help me immensely.

Last edited:

Sharon F

I came home from vacation and it appears my non-computer savvy
housesitter did something funky or I got a virus. I am not able to open
any .exe and am looking for how to redo the file association for it...
HELP!!!

Are .EXE files broken or .LNK files or both? If you normally start programs
from a shortcut (.LNK file) then it may only be .LNK files that are broken.
Try creating a new shortcut and test if it works. If yes, delete damaged
shortcuts and replace them with new working shortcuts.

A quick way to test if .EXE files are broken as well is to find an .EXE
file and double click on it. Choose an .EXE file that you know will launch
a program such as explorer.exe or iexplore.exe If unable to launch Windows
Explorer or My Computer to locate such a file, use Start> Run and type in
notepad and click OK. If that fails, try typing notepad.exe instead.

The loss of functionality for .EXE files is often due to virus or other
security intrusion. After getting .EXE files to work again, scan the system
thoroughly to be sure it is clean. By this I mean, open your antivirus
program. Check that it has the most current virus definitions installed.
Then use the menus to "scan all files." Include all drives or do them one
by one but be sure to scan everything.

MVP Doug Knox has a page where you can obtain fixes for the basic file
associations. There are fixes specifically for .EXE file and .LNK files on
this page: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
maybe a solution

I got the same problem a few days ago. I don't know what is the cause of the error but this is what i did to fix it:
1) Open Windows Explorer
2) Tools --> Folder Options...
3) Select File Types
4) Click New
5) In File Extension, type "exe" (without quotes)
6) Click Advanced
7) In the Associated File Type drop-down list, select "Application"
8) Click OK

Now repeat for "lnk" at point 5) and "Shortcut" at 7).

This should solve most of your problem.

(e-mail address removed)