Virus emails

S

shcr

I've been getting various emails, some with attachments which are surely
viruses, sent from unknown persons. I delete the email.

Some are returned emails, which were sent from my address. Though I have
none of those people in my address book.

Some are what I call fake return emails, saying
Mail Delivery (failure myname at mydomain.com) which are a virus as well I think.

I have checked my machine and don't find anything, I'm thinking these are from someones machine that has my email in their address book? I just hate it when my domain is used and get blamed. But perhaps it IS my fault?

Just downloaded AVG ver 7.0 and all came up empty.

Are these emails my fault?

S

Shane

Mail Delivery (failure myname at mydomain.com) which are a virus as well I think.

I have checked my machine and don't find anything, I'm thinking these are from someones machine that has my email in their address book? I just hate it when my domain is used and get blamed. But perhaps it IS my fault?

Yes and no. You will be getting mail from the infected machines of others with you in their address book. You'll also be getting it as a result of using your genuine address for posting to Usenet (unless, like my genuine address, it's just a spam trap). You can use an enitrely fictitious address or a 'munged' one - ie, that has words added or changed to make it invalid but decipherable. Simplest is probably to put 'at' instead of '@'. Look at other people's posted addresses to get an idea.

Shane

S

shcr

Yes and no. You will be getting mail from the infected machines of others with you in their address book. You'll also be getting it as a result of using your genuine address for posting to Usenet (unless, like my genuine address, it's just a spam trap). You can use an enitrely fictitious address or a 'munged' one - ie, that has words added or changed to make it invalid but decipherable. Simplest is probably to put 'at' instead of '@'. Look at other people's posted addresses to get an idea.

Shane

===========================================================================

The AOL address is my throwaway, not the problem account.

Thanks. I figured it was a friends PC, need to track 'em down. It appears to be from a charter account.

Ask a Question