Viewing web pages

Hello,

I do the majority of web surfing on my laptop. Most of the web pages don't
fill the entire screen. Some do fill the screen, i.e., Yahoo. When I do
"view/text size/largest", the Yahoo and MSN pages fill the screen. However,
this trick does not really noticabley affect other pages. For example,
CNN.com and TVguide.com, the page only fills a portion of the screen, and
most of the text is very small.

My screen resolution is set to 1280 by 1024. Any tips to making the
majority of web pages fill the screen, making the text easier to read,
pictures larger, etc?

Don Varnau

Hi,
At tvguide.com, the page width is set to 970 pixels, so if you stretch the
window, you'll just get blank space. Other pages which can't be made to fill
the screen will have specified page width in pixels, rather than
percentages.

The text size is defined in pixels, also, so the workaround (kind of
inconvenient) is to go to Internet Options> General> Accessibility> Ignore
text sizes. Then you can change text size. You could try leaving "Ignore
text sizes" checked- you may or may not like the results on other pages.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"tom rudenko" wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

Jon Kennedy

Most web sites are coded to be viewed at 800x600 screen resolution. Some
sites are coded so that they recognize your screen res setting and will
display an "alternate" version that looks better at the higher settings,
most do not. Some, like msnbc.com, fill the "empty" space to the right with
ads. Don Varnau has posted some IE Accessibility settings you can
experiment with, but depending on how the web site is coded, they may or may
not help. Another solution might be to get a third-party tool that quickly
changes your screen resolution on the fly, like the old QuickRes program
that used to be included in Windows, but not in XP.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_quickres.htm - written by a fellow MS
MVP