Windows Vista Viewing Photos on Vista

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Been looking at some of my old pics which are on CD or DVD. I'm using Vista and when the pics come up I can't get them as thumbnails which I can view, only as icons which all have the same front to them. On clicking on an icon I get the full pic of course.

I remember on XP that when the pics came up ,in View, one of the options was Thumbnails but this is not present in Vista, There are only Tiles, Details and various sizes of Icons. Funny thing is that the my Pictures on the PC are all visible as thumbnails when I select any of the various sizes of Icons but not when I'm viewing the CD or DVD. :confused:

As far as I can see all the settings are identical. Am I missing some vey simple thing here?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't think so, Vista and Win 7 had many differences from XP.

But to my mind the icon view - and you have a choice of sizes - is much the same as a thumbnail view.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thumbnails may take a while off a CD/DVD.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I don't think so, Vista and Win 7 had many differences from XP.

But to my mind the icon view - and you have a choice of sizes - is much the same as a thumbnail view.

Not really, Flops. With the thumbnail view you can actually see the picture, which is what I want when looking through for a specific shot. Without the pictures I don't know where to start. It was so easy on X,P being able to select the thumbnail view to see the pictures.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well I'm confused now, I'm talking Win 7 here but I can see all my pix as a thumbnail type pic if I choose Large Icon View.

And yes, as V_R points out, thumbnails can take quite a long time to open from a DVD or CD, especially if there's a lot of them or if they're RAW or bmp images.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Niv - you might want to try this:

Go to Control Panel and select "Folder Options" click the "View" tab and then make sure you have un-checked the option to "Always show icons, never thumbnails" think it might work for you then ;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks all.

Already tried that, TC. To no avail.

And even large icons does not bring up the thumbnail view.

As to taking a long time to come up from CD/DVD I've left it for over 15 minutes and still no pics. :confused:

Strange, as I flip from, say, medium to large icons the thumbnail pictures show up for a split second before reverting back to faceless icons. :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I popped an "old" CD/DVD into me drive and I see icons, however, if I click on a blank area, just to the right of an icon, blue X marks the spot, I can "view choosing medium icons"

The reason for using tiles becomes obvious if you have a DVD with a thousand pics on it ... you really do NOT want to wait 24hours for them to "show" up

you do have Picasa installed, yes?

:user:

Attachments

• dvd pic1.PNG
    dvd pic1.PNG
    178.8 KB · Views: 153
  • dvd pic2.PNG
    dvd pic2.PNG
    181.8 KB · Views: 228

Ask a Question