Windows XP "View Workgroup Computers" Freezes +more.

Reaction score
I am trying to setup my home network. I have a Dell laptop e1705 and a custom rig. Both machines are running XP PRO w/ SP3. I ran the Network setup Wiz. They are both on the same workgroup. Now here is my problem. Now every time I go to My Network Places then click on View Workgroup Commuters that window freezes. I have let it run for over an hour to see if it would find something, but it just froze. So I attempted to search (via windows search) for all computers on the network. As soon as I click search it to Freezes and does not respond.

The laptop is wireless and the desktop is wired. Any ideas or do you need any more information?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Reaction score
ping each machine to see if they are communicating with each other.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
i assume that you are using a router in this situation. if i am wrong, please advise.

Start from the top down. Start with Internet connection, does it work properly. Check your IP addressing setup. Is it DHCP or static. Check to see that you have the proper subnet mask if you are static.

If the addressing is correct, and the workgroup is correct, ensure that you don't have the same name on both PCs (usually this is not an issue).

Ping each address. ping every address you have. there are two PCs and a router so it should not be a long list.

try pinging the loopback address 127.0.0.1 - a timeout response indicates that you have an issue with your tcp/ip stack and it will need to be reconfigured.

run this command at a prompt (netsh_int_ip_reset_resetlog.txt) where the _ are spaces. that will rebuild the tcp/ip stack

also, ensuer that you don't have this problem with the laptop wired to the router. sometimes wireless may not be trustworthy enough to troubleshoot an issue like this. once it works on the wire, it should work on the wireless.

that should get you started

- Surfer

Ask a Question