View with "instead of Trigger" in Access not updateable

Christoph Seck

Hi,
I've got a view in sql2000 with an instead of update trigger but no index (I
need some grouping and the max function). In EM there is no problem, thanks
to the trigger I can make updates. But if I try to change a record in an
AccessXP project I get an error message saying the recordset is not
updateable. Using the View_Metadata option doesn't help. Any idea?

Christoph Seck

Alick [MSFT]

Hi Christoph,

What is the full/exact error message? Generally I have the following
suggestions:

1. Be sure each base table has a primary key.
2. Create a view with the view_metadata (In access it is the "Update using
view rules" property)
3. Include all of the primary key columns in the view definition.

If it doesn't work, would you please post more information so I can do some
test on my side?

1. Insert of trigger content.
2. View.
3. Table.
4. Steps to lead to the error.
5. Other necessary information to reproduce the issue.

If you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to reply to the
threads.

Sincerely,

Alick Ye, MCSD
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Christoph Seck" <[email protected]>
| Subject: View with "instead of Trigger" in Access not updateable
|
| Hi,
| I've got a view in sql2000 with an instead of update trigger but no index
(I
| need some grouping and the max function). In EM there is no problem,
thanks
| to the trigger I can make updates. But if I try to change a record in an
| AccessXP project I get an error message saying the recordset is not
| updateable. Using the View_Metadata option doesn't help. Any idea?
|
| Christoph Seck

Carl

Hi,
We are having the exact same problem.
The view is updateable in SQL 2000 but when you go to
update it in Access 2003 ADP we get the following error
message "This recordset is not updateable"
Is it that this just doesn't work in Access 2003 ADP's. We
have followed all of your suggestions to the T and
we would really like to know if this is true because we
have spent a lot of time trying to update this view.
Any Microsoft Guru's out there have any input????
Carl