Very weird and perplexing problem with IE6

Gary

I have a very weird and peculiar problem with IE6 that I can=E2=80=99t seem to find an a=
nswer for on the web. I would appreciate anyone who can shed some light on this problem=
.. I will do my best to explain... please bear with me:

I have two domains registered with the same hosting company. When I view either of the=
se pages through my home computer using IE6, a few images load, but then IE hangs and ti=
mes out. The rest of the images appear as a =E2=80=9CRed X=E2=80=9D. When I view these=
same pages from the same computer using Netscape, all images show up perfectly. When=
I view these same pages through IE from any other computer, all images load just fine.=
It=E2=80=99s ONLY when I view them through IE from my home computer that some images s=
how up broken.

One would think that the problem is limited to IE from my home computer. However, what=
makes this problem so peculiar is that when I upload these same pages to other web serv=
ers, I am able to view them perfectly through IE from my home computer. It=E2=80=99s o=
nly when I view them (using IE from my home computer) on either of my domains that image=
s show up broken. Also, all other pages on the web show up perfectly (with no broken ima=
ges) when I view them through IE from my home computer.

The problem somehow lies ONLY with how IE from my home computer views pages from eithe=
r one of my domains. Once again, Netscape from this same computer show the pages great=
, and all other computers (including those with IE) show the pages from my domains wit=
h no broken images. IE from my home computer show all other pages on the web perfectly w=
ith the ONLY exception being from either of my domains.

The other thing is that I had no problem viewing these pages from IE on my home computer=
until Sunday, April 2. I looked at my Windows XP update history and the only thing that=
was updated on April 2 was =E2=80=9CWindows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB8=
92130)=E2=80=9D. I=E2=80=99m not sure if that could be the problem or not. I could no=
t find anything that said the Validation Tool could cause an issue like what I=E2=80=99=
ve described.

For the life of me I can=E2=80=99t figure this one out. I have done everything I can thi=
nk of to solve this peculiar problem. I=E2=80=99ve done the basics=E2=80=A6 delete=
cache, cookies, restored all web settings, repaired IE6, reinstalled IE6, restore=
d my computer to April 1 (the day before the problem took place), and a host of other thi=
ngs=E2=80=A6 everything to no avail.

If anyone can help me with this very weird and perplexing issue, I would deeply apprec=
iate it.

Thank you

Don Varnau

Hi,
First, while trying to display one of these pages, hit Ctrl+F5 (a forced
refresh) to make IE not look for a cached image.

Next delete the Temporary Internet Files folder. Make sure that you can see
hidden files (Folder Options> View) Then
login as another user with administrator privileges, or from the machine's
default administrator account (startup in safe mode) and delete the affected
TIF folder from Windows Explorer. It will be at [C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files]

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Gary" <jpgr[at]whocares.com> wrote in message
I have a very weird and peculiar problem with IE6 that I can’t seem to
find an answer for on the web. I would appreciate anyone who can shed some
light on this problem. I will do my best to explain... please bear with me:

I have two domains registered with the same hosting company. When I view
either of these pages through my home computer using IE6, a few images load,
but then IE hangs and times out. The rest of the images appear as a “Red
Xâ€. When I view these same pages from the same computer using Netscape,
all images show up perfectly. When I view these same pages through IE from
any other computer, all images load just fine. It’s ONLY when I view them
through IE from my home computer that some images show up broken.

One would think that the problem is limited to IE from my home computer.
However, what makes this problem so peculiar is that when I upload these
same pages to other web servers, I am able to view them perfectly through IE
from my home computer. It’s only when I view them (using IE from my home
computer) on either of my domains that images show up broken. Also, all
other pages on the web show up perfectly (with no broken images) when I view
them through IE from my home computer.

The problem somehow lies ONLY with how IE from my home computer views pages
from either one of my domains. Once again, Netscape from this same computer
show the pages great, and all other computers (including those with IE) show
the pages from my domains with no broken images. IE from my home computer
show all other pages on the web perfectly with the ONLY exception being from
either of my domains.

The other thing is that I had no problem viewing these pages from IE on my
home computer until Sunday, April 2. I looked at my Windows XP update
history and the only thing that was updated on April 2 was “Windows
Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)â€. I’m not sure if that
could be the problem or not. I could not find anything that said the
Validation Tool could cause an issue like what I’ve described.

For the life of me I can’t figure this one out. I have done everything I
can think of to solve this peculiar problem. I’ve done the basics…
delete cache, cookies, restored all web settings, repaired IE6, reinstalled
IE6, restored my computer to April 1 (the day before the problem took
place), and a host of other things… everything to no avail.

If anyone can help me with this very weird and perplexing issue, I would
deeply appreciate it.

Thank you

Gary

My apologies for how this post is displayed. I wrote it on a word processor,
copied it, and pasted it into the post field. It came out looking real bad.

Gary

Don,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I tried what you suggested and the problem still persists.

Gary

[...]

X�. When I view these same pages from the same computer using Netscape,
[...]

Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)�. I’m not sure if that
could be the problem or not. I could not find anything that said the
Validation Tool could cause an issue like what I’ve described.

For the life of me I can’t figure this one out. I have done everything I
can think of to solve this peculiar problem. I’ve done the basics…
delete cache, cookies, restored all web settings, repaired IE6, reinstalled
IE6, restored my computer to April 1 (the day before the problem took
place), and a host of other things… everything to no avail.

If anyone can help me with this very weird and perplexing issue, I would
deeply appreciate it.

Thank you

Sandi Hardmeier - MVP

Is the affected home computer the one that is used to create the web pages?

Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://www.ie-vista.com
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

Gary said:
[...]

I have a very weird and peculiar problem with IE6 that I canâ?Tt seem to
find an answer for on the web. I would appreciate anyone who can shed
some
light on this problem. I will do my best to explain... please bear with
me:

I have two domains registered with the same hosting company. When I view
either of these pages through my home computer using IE6, a few images
load,
but then IE hangs and times out. The rest of the images appear as a
â?oRed
Xâ??. When I view these same pages from the same computer using Netscape,
all images show up perfectly. When I view these same pages through IE
from
any other computer, all images load just fine. Itâ?Ts ONLY when I view
them
through IE from my home computer that some images show up broken.

One would think that the problem is limited to IE from my home computer.
However, what makes this problem so peculiar is that when I upload these
same pages to other web servers, I am able to view them perfectly through
IE
from my home computer. Itâ?Ts only when I view them (using IE from my
[...]

history and the only thing that was updated on April 2 was â?oWindows
Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)â??. Iâ?Tm not sure if that
could be the problem or not. I could not find anything that said the
Validation Tool could cause an issue like what Iâ?Tve described.

For the life of me I canâ?Tt figure this one out. I have done everything
can think of to solve this peculiar problem. Iâ?Tve done the basicsâ?¦
delete cache, cookies, restored all web settings, repaired IE6,
reinstalled
IE6, restored my computer to April 1 (the day before the problem took
place), and a host of other thingsâ?¦ everything to no avail.

If anyone can help me with this very weird and perplexing issue, I would
deeply appreciate it.

Thank you

Gary

Is the affected home computer the one that is used to create the web pages?

Yes it is. But if I upload these same pages to another server I can
see them just fine with no broken images. I've included the original
description of the problem below:
==============================

I have a very weird and peculiar problem with IE6 that I can't seem to
find an answer for on the web. I would appreciate anyone who can shed
somelight on this problem. I will do my best to explain... please
bear with me:

I have two domains registered with the same hosting company. When I
view either of these pages through my home computer using IE6, a few
images load, but then IE hangs and times out. The rest of the images
appear as a "Red X". When I view these same pages from the same
computer using Netscape, all images show up perfectly. When I view
these same pages through IE from any other computer, all images load
just fine. It's ONLY when I view them through IE from my home
computer that some images show up broken.

One would think that the problem is limited to IE from my home
computer. However, what makes this problem so peculiar is that when I
upload these same pages to other web servers, I am able to view them
perfectly through IE from my home computer. It's only when I view
them (using IE from my homecomputer) on either of my domains that
images show up broken. Also, all other pages on the web show up
perfectly (with no broken images) when I view them through IE from my
home computer.

The problem somehow lies ONLY with how IE from my home computer views
pages from either one of my domains. Once again, Netscape from this
same computer show the pages great, and all other computers (including
those with IE) show the pages from my domains with no broken images.
IE from my home computer show all other pages on the web perfectly
with the ONLY exception being fromeither of my domains.

The other thing is that I had no problem viewing these pages from IE
on my home computer until Sunday, April 2. I looked at my Windows XP
update history and the only thing that was updated on April 2 was
"Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)". I'm not sure
if that could be the problem or not. I could not find anything that
said the Validation Tool could cause an issue like what I've
described.

For the life of me I can't figure this one out. I have done
everything I can think of to solve this peculiar problem. I've done
the basics: delete cache, cookies, restored all web settings,
repaired IE6, reinstalled IE6, restored my computer to April 1 (the
day before the problem took place), and a host of other things...
everything to no avail.

If anyone can help me with this very weird and perplexing issue, I
would deeply appreciate it.

Thank you

Sandi Hardmeier - MVP

I'm aware of your original post thanks Gary.

This is the deal. If you preview a personal website in IE before uploading,
sometimes IE will try to load that page instead of the remote site.

Right click any missing image, copy the path and post back.

Gary

Sandi,

Thank you for your interest in my problem. I've been doing web pages
for many years and I've been trying to resolve this problem for two
weeks. I've never encountered anything like this.

Here's a path: http://atu-beatles.com/test/t1962e.jpg

I've made a simple test page from my domain atu-beatles.com. It's
located here:

http://atu-beatles.com/test/

I've made a screen capture of what I view from IE6 from my home
computer. It's located here:

http://atu-beatles.com/test/Test_ScreenCapture.jpg

There are no broken images when I view it through Netscape from this
same computer. No broken images when I view it through any other
computer including IE. When I upload this same page to another
server, there are no broken images when viewed through IE from my home
computer. All other pages under the domain of atu-beatles.com will
show some broken images from IE from my home computer.

If I right click a "red x" and select show picture, the image
instantly appears. Also, if I click the "back" button and then click
"forward", more (if not all) images will instantly appear without
showing any loading. It's as if IE hangs after loading a little more
than half of the images but only from this particular web host. I
have no problem viewing pages with IE on any other web page.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Gary

Don Varnau

Hi Gary,

I've played with the test page a few times and here's what came out...

http://atu-beatles.com/test/ loaded flawlessly on XP with a resolution of
1024 x 768 and 800 x 600.

Test page loaded OK on a (widescreen) laptop at 800 x 600 and (same
computer) at 1024 x 768.

Various images don't load on WinME- smaller monitor at 800 x 600. Your
screenshot looks like 800 x 600 (?)

Speculation...
I don't think the problem is the links. I think there's some table/cell
weirdness going on. I don't think that WIDTH="750" is the problem, but you
might try different widths. You might try some cellpadding of 1 or 2 px or
cellspacing of 1 or 2 px. Try a border on the cells.Try rearranging the
images so that the tallest
aren't in the same columns.

Maybe an illogical solution will appear. ;-)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Robert Aldwinckle

Gary said:
Sandi,

Thank you for your interest in my problem. I've been doing web pages
for many years and I've been trying to resolve this problem for two
weeks. I've never encountered anything like this.

Here's a path: http://atu-beatles.com/test/t1962e.jpg

I've made a simple test page from my domain atu-beatles.com. It's
located here:

http://atu-beatles.com/test/

Those images are all completely cached.
E.g. to test this I was able to set Work Offline (Alt-F,W)
and then clone the window with Ctrl-N.

I've made a screen capture of what I view from IE6 from my home
computer. It's located here:

http://atu-beatles.com/test/Test_ScreenCapture.jpg

There are no broken images when I view it through Netscape from this
same computer. No broken images when I view it through any other
computer including IE. When I upload this same page to another
server, there are no broken images when viewed through IE from my home
computer. All other pages under the domain of atu-beatles.com will
show some broken images from IE from my home computer.

If I right click a "red x" and select show picture, the image
instantly appears.

"Instantly" makes me wonder if the images are *already* in the cache
but just not rendered for some reason. Try the same offline clone
test that I did to test for this possibility.

FWIW when IE6 first came out (on a different computer system and
a different OS) I had a similar symptom. I am convinced that there
are undocumented timing windows in IE which cause these symptoms
but every time I suggested it and asked for diagnostics to document the
case I got nowhere. In my case the symptom was so intermittent that
it really wasn't worth the effort to try to find out what was going on just
by myself. Since replacing that system and switching to XP I would
say that most Red-X are provably valid (e.g. attributable to 404 errors, etc.)

Also, if I click the "back" button and then click
"forward", more (if not all) images will instantly appear without
showing any loading. It's as if IE hangs after loading a little more
than half of the images but only from this particular web host.

Yep. I've seen that one before too. In one case I analysed it to be
probably an instance of unsynchronized caching servers,
e.g. as seen by their varying server names when viewed
by the Privacy Report (Alt-V,v)

Another factor which seems to be involved with Red-X and page not
available symptoms may be whether the DNS name is an alias and whether
the ISP's DNS server therefore needs to do a secondary lookup to satisfy it.
(E.g. more hypothetical timing windows.)

Hmm... here's some factual data along those lines:

<example>
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: atu.beatles.com
Address: 80.69.12.47
</example>

Why did my DNS server time out?
BTW this was after IE had successfully loaded all the images
on that page. A second nslookup done immediately after this one
did not time out, so that suggests to me that my ISP's DNS server
is keeping this record only very transiently.

Retrying it now would bypass the DNS lookup because XP's dnscache
still has it:

ipconfig /displaydns | find /i "beat"
atu-beatles.com
Record Name . . . . . : atu-beatles.com
</example>

Is your dnscache working? If not and if your nslookup sees
the same (or worse) timeout symptom that could be contributing to
your Red-X symptom.

I have no problem viewing pages with IE on any other web page.

Try taking such DNS delay out of the scenario as a test.
E.g. create a HOSTS file entry for this site and see if your symptoms
change.

Another thing that I would do is trace the TPC/IP packet flow,
and I would especially want to get some timestamps associated
with the requests and responses. netcap and Ethereal is the
combination of tools that I use to do this. You might even get
sufficient clues about your symptom just from the HTTP request
and response transactions (e.g. using FiddlerTool) but that
particular tool would overlook the DNS factor and doesn't
highlight timing very well in general IMO.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Gary

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle