VB Runtimes cause VS .NET Connectivity Problems

Rick Winscot

VB Runtimes cause VS .NET Connectivity Problems

Installing the VB runtimes to PPC 2003 devices causes the VS .NET 2003
IDE to fail when connecting... I verified this with iPAQ 5555, 2215 and
1945. Even more strange is the effect when uninstalling the VB runtimes
- .NET apps fail to launch. I have been able to reproduce this several
times primarily on iPaq devices. The only way to restore device
functionality
is to do a hard reset and restore the ROM.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Rick Winscot
rickly@zyche dot com

DHILL

Rick Winscot said:
VB Runtimes cause VS .NET Connectivity Problems

Installing the VB runtimes to PPC 2003 devices causes the VS .NET 2003
IDE to fail when connecting... I verified this with iPAQ 5555, 2215 and
1945. Even more strange is the effect when uninstalling the VB runtimes
- .NET apps fail to launch. I have been able to reproduce this several
times primarily on iPaq devices. The only way to restore device
functionality
is to do a hard reset and restore the ROM.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Rick Winscot
rickly@zyche dot com

I just started testing some apps on the Ipaq 5555. I could not figure
out way the apps would not run. They ran on the 5450. I read your
post and realized that I have the same problem. Removing the VB
runtime and NSBasic did not work. So I did a hard reset and they
worked. Now I have to reload all of my programs and wait for a fix to
be able to use NSBasic. Has this been reported to MS? Let me know if
you find an answer to this. Thanks.

DHILL

I use NSBasic, which requires the VB runtime on ppc2003 devices. I
loaded the VB runtime so that I could run my NSBasic programs. Last
month NSBasic released a PPC2003 runtime that included a smaller
version of the VB runtime (400k?). It was also much faster. I
removed the VB runtime, but still could not run CF programs. The VB
runtime leaves a footprint in memory that still interferes with CF. I
did a hard reset and reloaded NSBasic. My CF programs ran fine with
the NSBasic runtime files loaded. NSBasic offers their version of the
VB runtime package for eVB($20?). I don't know if it is 100%
compatible with eVB, but NSBasic says that it is and that it runs eVB
programs much faster. I can attest to the fact that it does not stop
CF programs. Check it out at www.NSBasic.com.

Erik J Rubin [MS]

Hello,
There is a known issue related to the workings of the transport binaries,
which Visual Studio uses to communicate with the device for deployment and
debugging. The transport binaries use cryptographic services, and they
require the use of a keyset in the default key container.

Other software which also use the default key container will sometimes
overwrite the keyset used by the Visual Studio transports. Sometimes, the
other software does this in such a way that Visual Studio does not have the
permissions needed to re-create the keysets it needs. When this happens,
debugging and deployment fail.

A known workaround is to reset the device clean, which has the effect of
destroying all keysets. Thus, the device is able to create those needed
by Visual Studio for deployment and debugging.

Thanks!
-- Erik