VB.Net XML request using a URL

G

I am fairly new to VB. net, and totally new to XML. I am using VS .net 2003, VB .Net. I need to, through the use of a URL, (to other systems), send a request and get a response. I see a lot of examples on using xml in vb .net, (all dealing with creating and reading xml files, but nothing specific, (sending the requests), and, up to date on the technology that I am using. I do not need an xml overwiew, just the code to handle the request

I am not asking anyone to write my complete program for me, but please include all declarations, import statements, etc., that are needed

Also, I cannot find a book that is specific to VB. NET, and XML, that is current

Thank

Lou

C

Cor

Hi Lou,

The most XML in VB.net is behind the scene.

A dataset by instance is XML but you do not see it until you write it using
a ds.writeXML to disk or brings it using a xs.GetXML to a string.

However, XML is an approach of describing data, which can be used in very
much different ways.

By instance there are also XML documents (which are no documents, but data
which can provided to documents) a total other approach of using the
benefits of the standarizing of XML.

As an advice: do not focus on XML, but on what you want to do, than you will
see the samples soon enough where XML is used.

Just my 2 eurocents,

Cor

G

Co

I must have worded my request wrong. I am looking for a specific example of using a URL to get data across servers
(I think that it is by using 'microsoft.xmlhttp, post,send. etc.', but I am not sure.

As you have said there are a lot of VB XML examples out there, but none for this particular action

Thank

Lou

G

Co

The links that you provided are related to web servers. I am not sure that that is where I want to go, as I do not want to create/use/modify a web server. But then again, I could be wrong

This is what I have found and tested, and it works..
--------------------------------
Dim XmlHtt
Dim URL = "http://etc, etc...
XmlHttp = CreateObject("microsoft.xmlhttp"
XmlHttp.open("GET", URL, False, "", ""
Tr
XmlHttp.send(
Catch ex As Exceptio
MessageBox.Show(ex.Message
End Tr
-------------------------------------------
Now, perhaps what I have found is old, and I am supposed to be doing this though web services now...Someone will have to tell me that, (and, show me how to do it using web services)

Thanks for your hel

Lo

G

Co

I have taken a quick look at the link that you pointed me to. It may be that this is what I would need to learn to be using the lastest technology for what I want to do, (though I would need to see a specific example of what I am look to do, to be sure of this), but it looks to be quite involved. It requires learning a lot of technology that right at this moment I do not have the time to learn, (ASP, etc), and unless I have a specific example I will not be able to convince my superiors, (expecially considering that I am a contractor), that this time should be taken

While it may seem that I am the horse that was lead to clean and clear water and refused to drink, right now I must stay with the older brackish water, XMLHTTP

Thank

Lou

Ask a Question