    How can i do that ?
    thanks a lot,
    Maileen

    Maileen, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Hi Maileen,

    Can you ask your question differently. I did not understand what you are
    trying to accomplish. VC++ relies heavily on DLL files but for the most
    part they are distributed with Windows so you don't need to install them
    along with your app. When you create an app in VB.Net all you need is for
    the framework to be installed. Unless you are relying on outside DLLs.
    Then, like with VC++, those DLLs will need to be installed. Good luck!
    Ken.

    --
    Ken Dopierala Jr.
    For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Oct 17, 2004

  3. Maileen wrote:
    > I use now VB.NET and i would like to do the same.
    > I don't want to see any error message because VB6runxx.dll is nissing,
    > or something like that.
    >
    > How can i do that ?

    Hi,

    In order to run a .Net application, the .Net Framework must have been
    installed on that system. So the only things that you need to install
    are your own assemblies. If an assembly refers to another assembly that
    is not part of the .Net Framework, you'll need to install it too.

    --
    Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
    MainSoft Consulting Services

    Patrick Philippot, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Maileen

    Cor Ligthert Guest

    Nice written Ken

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert, Oct 17, 2004
  5. "Maileen" <> schrieb:
    > In VC++, we are able to compile and build an application which
    > will NOT need any *.dll files as external link.
    >
    > I use now VB.NET and i would like to do the same.
    > I don't want to see any error message because VB6runxx.dll is nissing,
    > or something like that.

    Are you referring to VB6 or VB.NET? VB.NET doesn't need a "VB6runxxx.dll"?

    The answer is no, that's not supported.

    There are some solutions, but most of them don't make much sense for
    me in general. They are expensive and don't bring any benefit in most
    cases.

    <URL:http://www.remotesoft.com/>
    -> "Salamander"

    <URL:http://www.lesser-software.com/> is working on a tool to compile Win32
    applications from .NET source.

    Thinstall
    <URL:http://thinstall.com/dotnet/>

    I would include the .NET Framework in the setup package:

    Deploying the .NET Framework in a setup package
    <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/dotnet/faqs/?id=deployframework>

    --
    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
    <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP], Oct 17, 2004
  6. Hi,

    If you are looking to distrbute an vb.net with out the framework
    take a look at this.

    (untested)
    http://thinstall.com/help/index.html?linking_netframework.htm

    Ken
    --------------------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Oct 17, 2004
  7. Re: VB.NET independent appliation [Thinstall]

    Ken Tucker [MVP] wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > If you are looking to distrbute an vb.net with out the framework
    > take a look at this.
    >
    > (untested)
    > http://thinstall.com/help/index.html?linking_netframework.htm
    >
    > Ken
    > --------------------------

    I use Thinstall for several projects and from my initial tests the
    framework linking does work. I haven't written any full applications yet
    but initial tests have been exciting! This does add several megs to your
    executable file size, but not the 20+ megs for the entire framework..

    --
    - Mitchell Vincent
    - kBilling - An easy and affordable billing solution

    Mitchell Vincent, Oct 17, 2004
  8. Re: VB.NET independent appliation [Thinstall]

    "Mitchell Vincent" <> schrieb:
    > > If you are looking to distrbute an vb.net with out the framework
    > > take a look at this.
    > >
    > > (untested)
    > > http://thinstall.com/help/index.html?linking_netframework.htm

    > I use Thinstall for several projects and from my initial tests the
    > framework linking does work. I haven't written any full applications yet
    > but initial tests have been exciting! This does add several megs to your
    > executable file size, but not the 20+ megs for the entire framework..

    Notice that there may be legal problems when linking to part of the .NET
    Framework.

    --
    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
    <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP], Oct 17, 2004
  9. Re: VB.NET independent appliation [Thinstall]

    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP] wrote:

    > "Mitchell Vincent" <> schrieb:
    >
    >>>If you are looking to distrbute an vb.net with out the framework
    >>>take a look at this.
    >>>
    >>>(untested)
    >>>http://thinstall.com/help/index.html?linking_netframework.htm

    >>I use Thinstall for several projects and from my initial tests the
    >>framework linking does work. I haven't written any full applications yet
    >>but initial tests have been exciting! This does add several megs to your
    >>executable file size, but not the 20+ megs for the entire framework..

    > Notice that there may be legal problems when linking to part of the .NET
    > Framework.

    What makes you say that?

    Mitchell Vincent, Oct 17, 2004
  10. Re: VB.NET independent appliation [Thinstall]

    "Mitchell Vincent" <> schrieb:

    >> Notice that there may be legal problems when linking to part
    >> of the .NET Framework.

    > What makes you say that?

    I doubt that Microsoft grants rights to decompose the libraries provided in
    the .NET Framework package.

    --
    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
    <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP], Oct 17, 2004
  11. Maileen

    Guest Guest

    I believe, and I could be wrong, but if you put all your external DLL's in
    the bin directory and set the references to that instance of the DLL, the
    resulting compile assembly will contain all the DLL's and you won't need to
    distribute the DLL's, just copy the assembly.exe. Someone, please correct me
    if I'm wrong.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2004
  12. Dennis wrote:
    > I believe, and I could be wrong, but if you put all your external
    > DLL's in the bin directory and set the references to that instance of
    > the DLL, the resulting compile assembly will contain all the DLL's
    > and you won't need to distribute the DLL's, just copy the
    > assembly.exe. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Hi,

    This is wrong. Adding a reference to an external assembly doesn't mean
    that this assembly will be statically linked to the calling assembly. In
    ..Net there's no idea of static linking. Everything is dynamic. If an
    assembly references another assembly, the latter must be present on the
    system, either locally or in the GAC.

    Patrick Philippot, Oct 18, 2004
  13. Maileen

    Maileen Guest

    thanks for the info.

    Maileen, Dec 4, 2004
  14. Maileen

    smith Guest

    You were able to but only if you didn't need anything from MSVCRTxx or MFC
    ;-)

    Again, if the issue is that you want to detect if the VM/RT is installed
    (that being the .Net Framework Runtime- which is the new VBRT/VM):
    then this might help... it's a free utility with source code and the reasons
    why:

    http://www.smithvoice.com/d5loader.htm

    If, however you want to code in .Net and release with fully linked
    executables that do not require the Framework to already be installed then
    you might take a look at Thinstall (www.thinstall.com is the home but the
    url seems down while I write this but that happens to everyone now and
    then... try it later and it should be back up)

    Robert Smith
    Kirkland, WA
    www.smithvoice.com

    smith, Dec 4, 2004