vacation program

Reaction score
When I enable the vacation program (vacation -I) in Red Hat 8, a blank message is sent back as reply. As an example, when I send an email to (e-mail address removed), I get a blank email from (e-mail address removed). Do I have to change any configuration in the master.cf file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
I would double check that your message is there before i messed with any other configuration files.
.vacation.msg

The default msg looks something like this:

Code:
 Subject: away from my mail

I will not be reading my mail for a while.
 Your mail concerning "$SUBJECT"
 will be read when I'm back.

typing vacation from a command line should allow you to view/edit your message.

Otherwise in your users home directory look for the file .vacation.msg
Using the command
Code:
cat .vacation.msg
should allow you to view the current message, you could change that with any text editor if your in gui mode.

Some useful commands for vacation (from the command line-IN the home directory for the user)
vacation -I Starts vacation
rm .forward Stops vacation
cat .vacation.msg View vacation message
pico .vacation.msg Edit vacation message
vacation -l List the content of the vacation database file including the address and the associated time of the last auto-response.

USEFUL FILES
$HOME/.forward
$HOME/.vacation.msg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Usalug,

Thank you for the reply. I have .vacation.msg and .forward files correctly configured in the user's (test) home directory. I typed vacation -I from the command line and started vacation from the 'VacationAdmin' module (Webmin)
as well with the same result- From: (e-mail address removed) without the message from the .vacation.msg file.

Do I have to modify the main.cf or the hosts file? My host file is as follows:

127.0.0.1 mail localhost.localdomain localhost

I do not have any problems with the usual mail which displays the proper sender's and receiver's addresses.

Thanks again,

Guhan

Ask a Question