USN rollbacks when importing VM DC's into isolated VM Lab

I've done this on physical machines a million times, with VMware GSX and
copies of production virtual domain controllers on portable hard drives, and
have NEVER had this problem, I had never even heard of a USN rollback until
I started cloning my prod VMDC's into my isolated lab ESX box. The VM's
that I put on portable hard drives and brought into the physical machine lab
replicated with the root DC even thougth they had a higher number than the
root. Why is this happening here, now? Is it going to mean that for VM
restoration of my forest I have to start with the newest VM by date and
bring in only by gradually decreasing USN/HWMV #'s ?

ETA is it possible for me to manually up the USN/HWMV on my root DC in the
lab so whichever child DC's come in, no matter when, they will be
subordinate in thur replication to the root DC?

Dean Wells \(MVP\)

The high watermark isn't the issue since its maintained on the inbound
sideend of replication; the up-to-dateness vector and the invocation IDs
are the problem. You can force an invocation ID reset but it sounds too
late for that. Are you using this in production as a DR measure?

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]

Images of DCs are not a good backup method. Better yet, it is not supported.

read more here:
http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/archive/2006/12/09/DSA_2D00_GUIDs-and-Invocation-IDs.aspx
http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/archive/2006/03/08/597.aspx

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Identity & Access - Directory Services #

BLOG (WEB-BASED)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
BLOG (RSS-FEEDS)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/rss.aspx

Hi there,

fortunately this is not production. We usually use GSX (I know it's not GSX
anymore but it's the only way to mean the windows/windows vm's) domain
controllers on portable HDD's and restore them in the lab. I've done it
literally over a hundred times and never had a problem. Now we're on ESX.
I know the version of VMware can't be the cause in and of itself. I was
talking with a colleague and we kind of came to the conclusion that I was
doing the metadata cleanup too early. So if I brought in a newer DC which
already had a higher up-to-dateness vector and Invocation ID, and then
immediately do the metadata cleanup, then it could make these values for the
Configuration partition be higher, and since the other domains had metadata
cleanups and some without their original DC's anymore, there would be no
replication objects left in the other domains for it to communicate. That's
what's happening now.

Dean Wells (MVP) said:
The high watermark isn't the issue since its maintained on the inbound
sideend of replication; the up-to-dateness vector and the invocation IDs
are the problem. You can force an invocation ID reset but it sounds too
late for that. Are you using this in production as a DR measure?

--
Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
MSEtechnology

ETA is it possible for me to manually up the USN/HWMV on my root DC in
the lab so whichever child DC's come in, no matter when, they will be
subordinate in thur replication to the root DC?

Agreed and I will review your blog notes. I'm trying to find this but I
can't find the method to reset the Invocation ID though, would you happen to
know how I can do that, otherwise I'm going to toss the whole group of test
VM's in the trash can and start again tomorrow.

"Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]"

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]

when an image is taken from a system, the invocation ID should be reset
before AD starts. if you restore the image and AD starts without resetting
the inv ID you cannot shutdown and configure it to reset the inv ID, you
must restore the image again to the state where it has never been booted
after the image creation.

To reset the inv ID see the blog entries I posted earlier.

USN rollbacks do not occur only in AD, but also in the SYSVOL
To make sure everything goes as needed. When restoring a set of images of
DCs from a certain domain make sure ONE is configured with the burflags=D4
option and all others in the same domain with burflags=D2 option.

again see my blog

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Identity & Access - Directory Services #

BLOG (WEB-BASED)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
BLOG (RSS-FEEDS)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/rss.aspx
* How to ask a question --> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
[...]

Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]

Dean,
I'm curious as to how you determined it was the invocation id?

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

Dean Wells (MVP) said:
The high watermark isn't the issue since its maintained on the inbound
sideend of replication; the up-to-dateness vector and the invocation IDs
are the problem. You can force an invocation ID reset but it sounds too
late for that. Are you using this in production as a DR measure?

--
Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
MSEtechnology
[[ Please respond to the Newsgroup only regarding posts ]]
R e m o v e t h e m a s k t o s e n d e m a i l

ETA is it possible for me to manually up the USN/HWMV on my root DC in
the lab so whichever child DC's come in, no matter when, they will be
subordinate in thur replication to the root DC?

Dean Wells \(MVP\)

USN rollbacks are a symptom of an unsupported restore process and
propogation dampening combined; the latter is something that is governed
by the up-to-dateness vector table, not the high watermark. Each HWV
uses the DC's GUID (objectGUID property of the DC's NTDSDSA instance)
while UTD vectors use the invocation ID ... et voila! For these
reasons, an entire mechanism has been built to both reset and retain a
DC's invocation IDs over time. The invocation ID is reset when a DC is
restored using a supported means or in the lesser-known scenario where
an app. NC is added to a DC, later removed and then re-added.

--

Paul Bergson said:
Dean,
I'm curious as to how you determined it was the invocation id?

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services
MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup
rights.

<-> wrote in message I've done this on physical machines a million times, with VMware
GSX and copies of production virtual domain controllers on portable
hard drives, and have NEVER had this problem, I had never even
heard of a USN rollback until I started cloning my prod VMDC's into
my isolated lab ESX box. The VM's that I put on portable hard
drives and brought into the physical machine lab replicated with
the root DC even thougth they had a higher number than the root.
Why is this happening here, now? Is it going to mean that for VM
restoration of my forest I have to start with the newest VM by date
and bring in only by gradually decreasing USN/HWMV #'s ?

So, on today's episode of : "Can This Forest Be Saved?"

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I was only taking one DC from each domain, so
their domain sysvol is authoritative to its own domain, I believe. I looked
through the blog, but I didn't see exactly how to do the "reset" of the
Invocation ID. I have the pre-replication VM's there I can restore. I
actually did that yesterday, and purposely didn't perform the metadata
cleanup, but basically what happened is, the newer child DC's would
replicate inbound from older and modified root (again, without any
metadata-cleanup having been done on the child). The child didn't have a
living DC in the root from which to make contact. So I have the following:

All the ones on the left were 2095, 2103, toast basically, so I promoted
never-before-seen domain controllers, and the errors stopped.

root-DC1-old promote root-DC2
childA-DC1-old --------> childA-DC2
childB-DC1-old childB-DC2

ok, they're all talking, replicating fine. I wanted to demote/repromote the
left column ones but dcpromo demotion fails, I get ~"couldn't establish
mutual delegation." so metadata cleanup was done. So left column is gone,
only right column lives now in the VM Lab. Now, I introduce two new DC's
from the remaining two children domains, that have never seen these DC's in
the right column, and basically, though there are no further 2103/2095
errors, the two new guests at the party have never heard of anyone in column
two, and will not accept configuration data from any of them. Simply put
there's no DC in the VM Lab that exists in their configuration partition. I
would think that it would query the domain through port 389 and get updated
information though, but I think my whole problem centers around the fact
that I was too quick to do metadata cleanups prior to everybody being on the
boat.

Basically, if I could get ChildC-DC1 and ChildD-DC1 (the newcomers) to
successfully pull down from the new right-column DC's (in particular
root-DC2) and get the updated configuration partition I'd be happy, but if I
can't I'm going to have to trash-heap this test-bed and start again.

<-> wrote in message I've done this on physical machines a million times, with VMware GSX
[...]

go to this post:
http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/archive/2006/03/08/597.aspx
and search for: Procedure for using the recovery option

--

[...]

Ughhh ... >> "propagation" ... sorry Mum! :0(

--

<-> wrote in message ETA is it possible for me to manually up the USN/HWMV on my root DC
in the lab so whichever child DC's come in, no matter when, they
will be subordinate in thur replication to the root DC?

<-> wrote in message I've done this on physical machines a million times, with VMware
GSX and copies of production virtual domain controllers on
portable hard drives, and have NEVER had this problem, I had never
even heard of a USN rollback until I started cloning my prod
VMDC's into my isolated lab ESX box. The VM's that I put on
portable hard drives and brought into the physical machine lab
replicated with the root DC even thougth they had a higher number
than the root. Why is this happening here, now? Is it going to
mean that for VM restoration of my forest I have to start with the
newest VM by date and bring in only by gradually decreasing
USN/HWMV #'s ?

I should note that this is a 2000 AD (the lab is for testing the 2003 forest
upgrade). I'm almost positive the admins of the C & D child domains don't
remember the DSR password. But if one of the two does though, I'll go
through the process.

<-> wrote in message Agreed and I will review your blog notes. I'm trying to find this but
I can't find the method to reset the Invocation ID though, would you
happen to know how I can do that, otherwise I'm going to toss the whole
group of test VM's in the trash can and start again tomorrow.

"Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]"
message Images of DCs are not a good backup method. Better yet, it is not

#

[...]

Thanks for the info, I need to do a whole lot more research. I need to find
more articles on this, I do have a basic understanding but I would like to
have a stronger background.

--

<-> wrote in message ETA is it possible for me to manually up the USN/HWMV on my root DC in
the lab so whichever child DC's come in, no matter when, they will be
subordinate in thur replication to the root DC?

<-> wrote in message I've done this on physical machines a million times, with VMware GSX
and copies of production virtual domain controllers on portable hard
drives, and have NEVER had this problem, I had never even heard of a
USN rollback until I started cloning my prod VMDC's into my isolated
lab ESX box. The VM's that I put on portable hard drives and brought
into the physical machine lab replicated with the root DC even thougth
they had a higher number than the root. Why is this happening here,
now? Is it going to mean that for VM restoration of my forest I have
to start with the newest VM by date and bring in only by gradually
decreasing USN/HWMV #'s ?

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]

on w2k you can reset the DSRM using the SETPWD tool

On w2k3 you must do that through NTDSUTIL

--

[...]

Well, "must" is a little strong Princess :0) ... if you happen to have a
2K box around (or the media), you can continue to use SETPWD.EXE. In
fact, there's a script that is based on SETPWD available from here that
will reset all DSRM passwords within a supplied forest -

ftp://falcon.msetechnology.com/scripts/dsrmreset.cmd.txt

C:\>dsrmreset

DSRMreset 1.0 / Dean Wells ([email protected]) - June 2005

SYNTAX - dsrmreset <Forest Root FQDN> <DSRM password>

Resets DSRM password on all Domain Controllers within the Forest
- requires Windows 2000 SETPWD.EXE within path
- requires sufficient security context

--

<-> wrote in message So, on today's episode of : "Can This Forest Be Saved?"

[...]

message when an image is taken from a system, the invocation ID should be

<-> wrote in message
I've done this on physical machines a million times, with
VMware GSX and copies of production virtual domain controllers
on portable hard drives, and have NEVER had this problem, I had
never even heard of a USN rollback until I started cloning my
prod VMDC's into my isolated lab ESX box. The VM's that I put
on portable hard drives and brought into the physical machine
lab replicated with the root DC even thougth they had a higher
number than the root. Why is this happening here, now? Is it
going to mean that for VM restoration of my forest I have to
start with the newest VM by date and bring in only by gradually
decreasing USN/HWMV #'s ?

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]

belive me when I say that I wrote the MUST word I was already thinking you
would say something about it....and you did, you did... ;-)

--

Dean Wells (MVP) said:
[...]

Glad not to disappoint my friend :p

--

<-> wrote in message I should note that this is a 2000 AD (the lab is for testing the
2003 forest upgrade). I'm almost positive the admins of the C & D
child domains don't remember the DSR password. But if one of the
two does though, I'll go through the process.

"Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]"
message Fortunately (or unfortunately) I was only taking one DC from each

<-> wrote in message
Agreed and I will review your blog notes. I'm trying to find
this but I can't find the method to reset the Invocation ID
though, would you happen to know how I can do that, otherwise
I'm going to toss the whole group of test VM's in the trash can
and start again tomorrow.

"Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]"
in message Images of DCs are not a good backup method. Better yet, it is

<-> wrote in message
I've done this on physical machines a million times, with
VMware GSX and copies of production virtual domain
controllers on portable hard drives, and have NEVER had this
problem, I had never even heard of a USN rollback until I
started cloning my prod VMDC's into my isolated lab ESX box.
The VM's that I put on portable hard drives and brought into
the physical machine lab replicated with the root DC even
thougth they had a higher number than the root. Why is this
happening here, now? Is it going to mean that for VM
restoration of my forest I have to start with the newest VM
by date and bring in only by gradually decreasing USN/HWMV
#'s ?

Margaret

Please visit [email protected]/blog
I am starting up a business and need new customers. Any help that you could
give me, I would really appreciate it. Im not spaming anyone, so please let
me know if there are anyone you know who lives in the london area and would
be interested in the purchase of medical uniforms.

Im trying to get as many customers as i can. i need help tho. Please pass
this email on to whom ever you know who would be interested. I would really
appreciate it.

Here is a little about it:

We are a business that makes Medical Uniforms which are made for Nurse's,
Doctors, and any Medical team that there is out there like PSW's.

You can find more out about it at: [email protected]/blog

We have flexible plans to accommodate growth. All size's, styles and colors
that you can think of

We are located in London, Ontario

Thank you for your time.

Margaret