Using VS.NET in Multi-user environment

D

David Lozzi

Howdy,

My coworked and I are working on a project together and we're trying to figure out the best route to use VS.NET in this environment. We have a central server hosting the app and in the web folder is the .proj and ..sln files. We can both open them, but if one of us added a codebehind, the other has to refresh the solution and then add the excluded file. It is quite a pain and I'm assuming there is a better way? I'm not even sure what to search for on MSDN to help me with this.

Thanks!!!!

J

John Saunders

See
Team Development with Visual Studio .NET and Visual SourceSafe (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_rm.asp?frame=true) even if you're not using SourceSafe.

John

Howdy,

My coworked and I are working on a project together and we're trying to figure out the best route to use VS.NET in this environment. We have a central server hosting the app and in the web folder is the .proj and ..sln files. We can both open them, but if one of us added a codebehind, the other has to refresh the solution and then add the excluded file. It is quite a pain and I'm assuming there is a better way? I'm not even sure what to search for on MSDN to help me with this.

Thanks!!!!

J

john morales

Hello David,

i'm surpised thats the only problem you are having. I would suggest working
in a more traditional environment where the project is housed in a version
control software of your choosing. And each of you has a checked out working
copy of the project on your local machine. If you guys _need_ to see each
others changes realtime like you are suggesting might you consider pair programming?
where basically you guys share the same computer. Its arguable that two developers
working in a pair is just as productive as 2 programmers working separately
on the same project.

-john

K

Kevin Spencer

Hi David,

The best solution would be to use Visual SourceSafe. Don't check in
Solutions, only projects.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Neither a follower
nor a lender be.

Howdy,

My coworked and I are working on a project together and we're trying to
figure out the best route to use VS.NET in this environment. We have a
central server hosting the app and in the web folder is the .proj and .sln
files. We can both open them, but if one of us added a codebehind, the other
has to refresh the solution and then add the excluded file. It is quite a
pain and I'm assuming there is a better way? I'm not even sure what to
search for on MSDN to help me with this.

Thanks!!!!

Ask a Question