Using Outlook Full Client with a Hotmail Account

David C. Holley

When a person is using the Outlook Connector to access a Hotmail Account,
are the messages actually downloaded and saved in a *.pst?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

they are copied to a local file. It's either a nst or ost format, depending
on who knows what. (I have both nst and ost for hotmail/live/msn acct. This
month the connector is using nst extension.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

VanguardLH

David said:
When a person is using the Outlook Connector to access a Hotmail Account,
are the messages actually downloaded and saved in a *.pst?

If not using Exchange (which includes when using Hotmail), all message
stores in Outlook are .pst files. Right-click on the root node in the
folder tree list, select Properties, Advanced, and look at the path for
the .pst file.

David C. Holley

So if I delete and re-add the hotmail account, might I be so lucky as to
assume that Outlook would use the existing file? Where I am going with this,
and I suppose, the *real* point is trying to understand how Outlook sync's
with Hotmail through the connector.

In a scenario where Outlook is connected to an account hosted by a hosting
service, Outlook pulls all of the messages (and if so configured) deletes
them from the server thus leaving the only copies in the *.pst for the
account.

When using the Outlook Connector, does the OC act in such a manner that it
leaves everything on the hotmail servers and then updates the messages,
their locations, etc. as changes are made on th PC effectively making it
function more along the lines of a model similar to replication or mirroring
as opposed to the type of model where once the messages are pulled the
server isn't touched at all. For example, if a message is moved on the full
client from one folder to the next, is that change made once the OC
resync's.

David C. Holley said:
When a person is using the Outlook Connector to access a Hotmail Account,
are the messages actually downloaded and saved in a *.pst?

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

So if I delete and re-add the hotmail account, might I be so lucky as to
assume that Outlook would use the existing file?

Not if it's using the Outlook Connector, but then it doesn't matter because
all the data is still on the server. Recreating the account will create a new
file, but all the data will be the same.
In a scenario where Outlook is connected to an account hosted by a hosting
service, Outlook pulls all of the messages (and if so configured) deletes
them from the server thus leaving the only copies in the *.pst for the
account.

That's only for POP. The Outlook Connector doesn't use POP protocols.
When using the Outlook Connector, does the OC act in such a manner that it
leaves everything on the hotmail servers and then updates the messages,
their locations, etc. as changes are made on th PC effectively making it
function more along the lines of a model similar to replication or mirroring
as opposed to the type of model where once the messages are pulled the
server isn't touched at all. For example, if a message is moved on the full
client from one folder to the next, is that change made once the OC
resync's.

Correct. With the OC, chaning things on the client also makes the same
changes on the server at the next sync (and vice versa).

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

The connector will not use the existing NST/OST - it will make a new one.

Any changes made in Outlook will sync up to the server.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

David C. Holley said:
When a person is using the Outlook Connector to access a Hotmail
Account, are the messages actually downloaded and saved in a *.pst?

David C. Holley

So essentially the nst/ost works more or less as a means by which the
Outlook Connector can grab and hold on to the messages locally, almost like
a cache.

"David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message
When a person is using the Outlook Connector to access a Hotmail
Account, are the messages actually downloaded and saved in a *.pst?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Correct. It caches the messages locally.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]