    custom MessageBox.

    Thanks,

    Dennis

    Dennis C. Drumm, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Dennis C. Drumm

    Rob Windsor Guest

    Hi Dennis,

    The MessageBox class that's built into the Framework supports that already.

    MessageBox.Show("Hello, World", "My Message Box", MessageBoxButtons.OK,
    MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation);

    --
    Rob Windsor
    G6 Consulting

    "Dennis C. Drumm" <> wrote in message
    > I have ordered the book .NET Framework Solutions, In Search of the Lost
    > Win32
    > API by John Paul Meuller which I think will help answer some of my

    questions
    > I have regarding making custom MessageBoxes, but that isn't going to be

    here

    Rob Windsor, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Rob,

    I'm creating a CUSTOM MessageBox that has some featues that the standard
    one doesn't. Additional Buttons, for instance.

    Dennis

    Dennis C. Drumm, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Hi Dennis,

    You can find this icon in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll".
    As a small trick, you can view the icon in a dll or exe file through the
    "change icon"
    window of short cut file.

    To get specified icon in a file, using ExtractAssociatedIconEx API.

    Sample like this:(I set the form's icon to this icon)
    try
    {
    IntPtr iconindex=(IntPtr)1 ;
    IntPtr iconid;
    IntPtr icon=ExtractAssociatedIconEx(this.Handle
    ,@"C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll",ref (IntPtr)iconindex,out
    (IntPtr)iconid);
    this.Icon=Icon.FromHandle(icon);
    }
    catch(Exception ex)
    {
    MessageBox.Show(ex.Message );
    }
    Because this icon is the second icon in user32.dll, you should set the
    index to 1.(start from 0)

    Hope this helps you.

    Best regards,
    Jeffrey Tan
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------

    Jeffrey Tan[MSFT], Sep 8, 2003
  5. Thanks Jeffrey:

    That is what I was looking for. I wonder why system sounds and icons weren't
    made easier to access from .NET? That's pretty basic stuff for building user
    interface stuff, don't you think?

    Thanks,

    Dennis

    "Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]" <> wrote in message

    > Hi Dennis,
    >
    > You can find this icon in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll".
    > As a small trick, you can view the icon in a dll or exe file through the
    > "change icon"
    > window of short cut file.
    >
    > To get specified icon in a file, using ExtractAssociatedIconEx API.
    >
    > Sample like this:(I set the form's icon to this icon)
    > try
    > {
    > IntPtr iconindex=(IntPtr)1 ;
    > IntPtr iconid;
    > IntPtr icon=ExtractAssociatedIconEx(this.Handle
    > ,@"C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll",ref (IntPtr)iconindex,out
    > (IntPtr)iconid);
    > this.Icon=Icon.FromHandle(icon);
    > }
    > catch(Exception ex)
    > {
    > MessageBox.Show(ex.Message );
    > }
    > Because this icon is the second icon in user32.dll, you should set the
    > index to 1.(start from 0)
    >
    > Hope this helps you.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Jeffrey Tan
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >
    > --------------------
    > | From: "Dennis C. Drumm" <>
    > | Subject: Re: using MessageBox MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation
    > | Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:29:23 -0400
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

    microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp:182723

    Dennis C. Drumm, Sep 8, 2003
  6. Hi Dennis,

    I am glad what I provided helps you.
    I think the system sound and icons are platform related, so you need use
    windows API to retrieve it.
    Also, the .net is focus on the web application and it is platform
    unrelated, so
    .net provided no class for getting these system information.

    Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Jeffrey Tan
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "Dennis C. Drumm" <>
    | Subject: Re: using MessageBox MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation
    | Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 06:27:27 -0400
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
    |
    | Thanks Jeffrey:
    |
    | That is what I was looking for. I wonder why system sounds and icons
    weren't
    | made easier to access from .NET? That's pretty basic stuff for building
    user
    | interface stuff, don't you think?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Dennis
    |
    | "Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > Hi Dennis,
    | >
    | > You can find this icon in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll".
    | > As a small trick, you can view the icon in a dll or exe file through the
    | > "change icon"
    | > window of short cut file.
    | >
    | > To get specified icon in a file, using ExtractAssociatedIconEx API.
    | >
    | > Sample like this:(I set the form's icon to this icon)
    | > try
    | > {
    | > IntPtr iconindex=(IntPtr)1 ;
    | > IntPtr iconid;
    | > IntPtr icon=ExtractAssociatedIconEx(this.Handle
    | > ,@"C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll",ref (IntPtr)iconindex,out
    | > (IntPtr)iconid);
    | > this.Icon=Icon.FromHandle(icon);
    | > }
    | > catch(Exception ex)
    | > {
    | > MessageBox.Show(ex.Message );
    | > }
    | > Because this icon is the second icon in user32.dll, you should set the
    | > index to 1.(start from 0)
    | >
    | > Hope this helps you.
    | >
    | > Best regards,
    | > Jeffrey Tan
    | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    | > This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "Dennis C. Drumm" <>
    | > | Subject: Re: using MessageBox MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation
    | > | Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:29:23 -0400
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
    | > |
    | > | Rob,
    | > |
    | > | I'm creating a CUSTOM MessageBox that has some featues that the
    | standard
    | > | one doesn't. Additional Buttons, for instance.
    | > |
    | > | Dennis
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Rob Windsor" <> wrote in message

    | > | already.

    | MessageBoxButtons.OK,

    | > Lost
    | > be
    | > hte
    | my

    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Jeffrey Tan[MSFT], Sep 8, 2003
  7. Jeffrey:

    Here is a follow-up question for you. I was able to extract the icons from
    the dll with one of the many icon editors available out there. Each of the
    icon images in this dll has about 9 different formats for different sizes
    and colors. If I don't edit the icon and delete all but the image I need,
    VS.net will always use the first (?) image type for that icon. In this
    instance a 16/16 bit icon. And the properties for that icon in the image
    properties pane of VS.net is grayed out so I can't change it. How does
    VS.net decide which format of the image it will use and how can I
    programmatically change it besides deleting all the formats that I don't
    want it to use?

    Dennis C. Drumm, Sep 8, 2003
  8. Jeffrey:

    ..NET also support Windows Forms applications, which are not web based. I
    think .NET supports a number of other platforms besides web applications.

    > Hi Dennis,
    >
    > I am glad what I provided helps you.
    > I think the system sound and icons are platform related, so you need use
    > windows API to retrieve it.
    > Also, the .net is focus on the web application and it is platform
    > unrelated, so
    > net provided no class for getting these system information.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    > Best regards,
    > Jeffrey Tan
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >
    > --------------------
    > | From: "Dennis C. Drumm" <>
    > | Subject: Re: using MessageBox MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation
    > | Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 06:27:27 -0400
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

    microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp:183145

    Dennis C. Drumm, Sep 8, 2003
  9. Hi Dennis,

    I use VS.net resource editor to open the user32.dll and set the icon's
    image type to
    48X48 and export it as an .ico file.
    But after I import this ico file into button's image property, I found that
    the ico was displayed
    in 16X16 type and just as you said its properties was black and readonly.
    I used ACDSee to open the ico file and found that its still had 9 image
    types associated with it.

    I do not know how you deleted the other 8 image types.

    As a workaround, I found that if you use ExtractAssociatedIconEx to load
    the icon and convert it
    into Icon class then you can adjust its size as you like.
    Sample code like this:

    FileStream fs=new FileStream(@"C:\ico101.ico",FileMode.Open );
    fs.Position=0;
    Icon newicon=new Icon(fs,48,48);
    Button1.Image=(Image)newicon.ToBitmap();

    I think the reason that at design time the image property only display
    16X16 icon is that
    the VS.net IDE default use Icon class's default constructor(16X16 size) to
    load the icon.

    Hope this helps
    Best regards,
    Jeffrey Tan
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "Dennis C. Drumm" <>
    | Subject: Re: using MessageBox MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation
    | Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:35:19 -0400
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
    |
    | Jeffrey:
    |
    | .NET also support Windows Forms applications, which are not web based. I
    | think .NET supports a number of other platforms besides web applications.
    |
    | Dennis
    |
    | "Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > Hi Dennis,
    | >
    | > I am glad what I provided helps you.
    | > I think the system sound and icons are platform related, so you need use
    | > windows API to retrieve it.
    | > Also, the .net is focus on the web application and it is platform
    | > unrelated, so
    | > net provided no class for getting these system information.
    | >
    | > Hope this helps.
    | > Best regards,
    | > Jeffrey Tan
    | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    | > This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "Dennis C. Drumm" <>
    | > | Subject: Re: using MessageBox MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation
    | > | Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 06:27:27 -0400
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
    | > |
    | > | Thanks Jeffrey:
    | > |
    | > | That is what I was looking for. I wonder why system sounds and icons
    | > weren't
    | > | made easier to access from .NET? That's pretty basic stuff for
    building
    | > user
    | > | interface stuff, don't you think?
    | > |