using ctrl-click to select multiple files causes files to be copie

Have just started using XP and in Explorer I have been trying to use
ctrl-click to select multiple files but I find that when I do so copies of
each file I click are created instead. I was trying to delete some files,
started with 21 files but by the time I had selected them I ended up with
several hundred because XP had created several copies of each.
How do I stop this from happening - I just want to select the files, not
copy them.

David Candy

The alcohol withdrawal and the tremors are moving the mouse more than 4 pixels which is a Control + Drag = Copy. Drink in the morning.

David, could this be caused by the fact I am using an optical mouse which
sometimes does jitter a bit? Can the 4 pixel setting be changed?
PS: are you buying the next round?

David Candy

I'll have to buy now, can't have people going into the DTs around me. It can be fatal.

Optical mouse have bad press. They require special mouse pads to work properly. Though I've found wireless is deadly. Hard to know if it's the wireless or optical. For me most is wireless. I have to have the reciever hanging over the monitor.

I wouldn't buy a wireless or optical again. To play GP4 I put the reciever under the keyboard (else I crash). I also love moving the mouse one direction and the cursor moving in the other.

Mikhail Zhilin

David, could this be caused by the fact I am using an optical mouse which
sometimes does jitter a bit? Can the 4 pixel setting be changed?

I'm not David, but:

Start -- Run... Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse

You can play with the values of:

DoubleClickHeight
DoubleClickWidth

and probably with

MouseThreshold1
MouseThreshold2

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz

David Candy

Crash is a car crash.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message I'll have to buy now, can't have people going into the DTs around me. It can be fatal.

Optical mouse have bad press. They require special mouse pads to work properly. Though I've found wireless is deadly. Hard to know if it's the wireless or optical. For me most is wireless. I have to have the reciever hanging over the monitor.

I wouldn't buy a wireless or optical again. To play GP4 I put the reciever under the keyboard (else I crash). I also love moving the mouse one direction and the cursor moving in the other.

Stan Brown

in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
Have just started using XP and in Explorer I have been trying to use
ctrl-click to select multiple files but I find that when I do so copies of
each file I click are created instead. I was trying to delete some files,
started with 21 files but by the time I had selected them I ended up with
several hundred because XP had created several copies of each.
How do I stop this from happening - I just want to select the files, not
copy them.

Be really, really, really careful not to move the mouse AT ALL
while selecting. (I find that very difficult.)

Bob I

Space bar selects nicely with no jitter.

Stan said:
in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

Be really, really, really careful not to move the mouse AT ALL
while selecting. (I find that very difficult.)

David Candy

He actually want DragHeight at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Ditto for width

DragHeight
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop

Data type Range Default value
REG_SZ Number of pixels in decimal 4

Description
Determines the height of the rectangle used to detect the start of a drag operation.