Using CDRW as floppy

Natalie

Hi,
Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit files
directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I write to
the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way to copy the
files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would be nice to be
able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go like it would a
floppy.
TIA

James

Natalie said:
Hi,
Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I
write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way
to copy the files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would
be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go
like it would a floppy.
TIA

XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are using a
CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder and send it to
the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files and basically creates a
floppy type access CD for you.

Harry Ohrn

James said:
XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are using a
CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder and send it to
the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files and basically creates a
floppy type access CD for you.

Natalie will need third party software like InCD, or DLA if she wants to use
a CD-R/W in the way she is asking. XP does not have built in packet writing
software. It uses the Standard IS0/Joliet format. With XP's built in
software a CD-R/W disk is treated just like a CD-R with the exception that
you can erase the entire disc. You can not delete individual files or modify
individual files. Nor can you save directly to a disc from within an
application. The file must be sent to a staging area first. You may wish to
learn more about XP's built in burning capabilities by reading the resource
information here http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca

Shenan Stanley

Natalie wrote in message
Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every
time I write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is
there a way to copy the files to the CD without them being placed
"on hold"? I would be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or
use Sent to and them go like it would a floppy.
XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are
using a CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder
and send it to the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files
and basically creates a floppy type access CD for you.

However well intentioned, James is wrong.

Read up on what you can/cannot do with Windows XP's CD witing abilities:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

James

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi - I do this all the time - have done for a long time and have had no
problems with my written cd's - try it and see for yourself. - this is my
main form of backup! - no problems and it overwrites all older files if I
wish - I have never installed another writer softwar - go figure!

Colin Barnhorst

James, packet writing is not supported natively in XP. The fact that you
can write files to a cd with an open session is not what the OP is talking
about. He wants to use a cd just like a hard drive, without moving the
files to a folder waiting to be written to disc.

James

Shenan Stanley said:
Natalie wrote in message

However well intentioned, James is wrong.

Read up on what you can/cannot do with Windows XP's CD witing abilities:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

--
<- Shenan ->

BTW - I am not saying that you can edit directly off the CD - but you most
certainly can overwrite existing files - sorry if I was not clear

johnf

Natalie, you're talking about "files", which usually don't take up much disk
space, how much space do you actually expect to use?

If you're only talking about, say, anything up to the equivalent of one to
two CDs, why not look at the option of a Memory Stick, just plug it into a
USB port, the PC sees it as a virtual HD, you can delete files off it, open
& change files, take the whole thing with you anywhere you go - they're
usually slim, only 2-3" long & come with a lead to hang around your neck.

NoNoBadDog!

James said:
XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are using
a CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder and send
it to the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files and basically
creates a floppy type access CD for you.
XP does not have packet writing capabilities. Despite James' claims, you
will need 3rd party software to do this. Roxio and Nero both make fine
products. You cannot edit the file directly on the CD. You can open the
file, edit it, and then save over the old file on the CD-RW. Do not place
100% faith in this...if it is a file that you cannot possibly live without,
save it on you HDD, on the CD-RW, and back it up to CD-RW.

Bobby

Natalie

Thanks Harry, I will give one of them a try. I have Nero, but I don't know
if I have InCD.

Harry Ohrn said:
Yes but you need third party software. Both InCD from www.nero.com and DLA
from www.sonic.com are stand a lone solutions for packet writing.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Natalie said:
Hi,
Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit files
directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I write to
the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way to copy the
files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would be nice to
be
able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go like it would a
floppy.
TIA

Natalie

I looked into it after I read your suggestion and though it is a very, very
good idea, it becomes inconvenient for me due to only having one USB port on
my laptop which is already being used by an external mouse due to a broken
touchpad, and no mouse would make selecting and copying files a bit of a
hard task. I will keep that in mind for when I get a new pc, which is
probably in the near future. Thanks.

Natalie

Thank you for the link Shenan... very useful.

Shenan Stanley said:
Natalie wrote in message

However well intentioned, James is wrong.

Read up on what you can/cannot do with Windows XP's CD witing abilities:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

--
<- Shenan ->

Natalie

I am using a CDRW; in fact, I have tried several just in case. Maybe you
found something to tweak that makes it work, because I have been trying by
copying and pasting, drag-n-drop, and right-click>sent to, and neither of
them work--they all place the files to be copied on hold, and the files are
always read-only, which is the most bothersome part. I guess if I could get
rid of the read-only part I would be happy.
Natalie

Gordon

Natalie said:
Hi,
Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit files
directly on the CD?

It's NOT a good idea to edit files directly on a CD. That's how
corruption and loss of data occur. ALWAYS (especially if using Word)
copy the file to your HDD first before editing.

Alex Nichol

James said:
XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are using a
CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder and send it to
the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files and basically creates a
floppy type access CD for you.

There is no such thing. The inbuilt burning software does *not* use
packet writing; just stashes files to burn later as a ISO 'session'.
Third party software is needed

Alex Nichol

James said:
Hi - I do this all the time - have done for a long time and have had no
problems with my written cd's - try it and see for yourself. - this is my
main form of backup! - no problems and it overwrites all older files if I
wish - I have never installed another writer softwar - go figure!

You may have installed a third party package: you are *NOT* using the
inbuilt facility

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Natalie,

le/on Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:51:55 +0100, tu disais/you said:-
I looked into it after I read your suggestion and though it is a very, very
good idea, it becomes inconvenient for me due to only having one USB port on
my laptop which is already being used by an external mouse due to a broken
touchpad, and no mouse would make selecting and copying files a bit of a
hard task. I will keep that in mind for when I get a new pc, which is
probably in the near future. Thanks.

Strongly recommend getting a USB 4 way mini-hub. Costs almost nothing and
you can connect your mouse, a USB key, and a couple of other peripherals.
WELL worth it as an expansion.