    question will come after I get the above working.

    Thank you........

    , May 18, 2010

  2. wrote:
    > I've read the Help file in BGInfo - but can't figure out how to use
    > Command Line Parameters. When I click on my startup icon, I would
    > like to invoke certain parameters. The line I came up with is:
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe /timer:99 /popup /taskbar
    > /rtf:C:\DATA\BGINFO /nolicprompt"
    >
    > Obviously, this is wrong.
    >
    > My Target line reads: "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe"
    >
    > My Start in line reads: "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo"
    >
    > Please help me by telling me what, exactly, should go in each line.
    >
    > I would also like to add lines of information to BGInfo - but that
    > question will come after I get the above working.
    >
    > Thank you........

    Without testing anything else, I can tell you that your quotation mark
    placement needs help...

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, May 19, 2010

    On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:42:21 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I've read the Help file in BGInfo - but can't figure out how to use
    >> Command Line Parameters. When I click on my startup icon, I would
    >> like to invoke certain parameters. The line I came up with is:
    >>
    >> "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe /timer:99 /popup /taskbar
    >> /rtf:C:\DATA\BGINFO /nolicprompt"
    >>
    >> Obviously, this is wrong.
    >>
    >> My Target line reads: "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe"
    >>
    >> My Start in line reads: "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo"
    >>
    >> Please help me by telling me what, exactly, should go in each line.
    >>
    >> I would also like to add lines of information to BGInfo - but that
    >> question will come after I get the above working.
    >>
    >> Thank you........

    >Without testing anything else, I can tell you that your quotation mark
    >placement needs help...
    >
    >"C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe" /timer:99 /popup /taskbar
    >/rtf:C:\DATA\BGINFO /nolicprompt
    >
    >--
    >Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP

    PLEASE look at the syntax for using the command line parameters. The
    program is very short and easy to download. I know I have other problems
    besides the quotation marks - and I would really like to learn how to use
    this program. The instructions are in the HELP file - but I don't
    understand them. This is a SysInternals program (now, Microsoft).
    Thanks..........

    , May 19, 2010

    wrote:
    > PLEASE look at the syntax for using the command line parameters.
    > The program is very short and easy to download. I know I have
    > other problems besides the quotation marks - and I would really
    > like to learn how to use this program. The instructions are in the
    > HELP file - but I don't understand them. This is a SysInternals
    > program (now, Microsoft). Thanks..........

    The quotation marks are syntax for any command line command with long
    filenames. I pointed that out because you had that syntax wrong.

    So why aren't you asking in the proper newsgroup, proper place?

    It looks like you didn't do much of any research on the subject beyond
    typing in "bginfo /?" at the command line.

    This is the "microsoft.public.vista general" newsgroup, for general issues
    with Windows Vista.
    There is a "microsoft.public.winternals" newsgroup, especially for these
    products.

    Also:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897557.aspx

    Where it says, "If you have questions or problems, please visit the
    Sysinternals BgInfo Forum."
    ( http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=5 )

    My suggestion is to ask in the proper place and/or try more. It's a limited
    number of commands and you can use in a command line and you never even
    *really* said what it was you were trying to get it to do beyond "When I
    click on my startup icon, I would like to invoke certain parameters" - that
    is what adding the command line parameters does *if* you add them to the
    icon in question (what the shortcut points to.) ;-)

    Your answer (to whatever you want) could also be changed by the version of
    the BGINFO you are using. I use an older version and my command line *will
    be* different than yours. In one of my shortcuts I have:

    bginfo.exe /iq %systemroot%\system32\workstation.bgi /timer:0 /ALL /SILENT

    Where I have saved a file that has the fields I want to show and I give it
    the path to that file, change the countdown timer before it loads so that
    there is none, update the wallpaper for *everyone* that is logged on and
    report no errors.

    Your command line seems to be...

    Running the original (unmodified) bitmap maker (bginfo with default
    settings) with a 99 second timer for you to stop it from taking effect, a
    popup window to show you what is going on, placing an icon in the taskbar,
    writing the background information collected to a Rich Text Format file
    called "BGINFO" without a file extension in the C:\DATA\ directory all
    without displaying the license information.

    However - it's possible you are using a different version with different
    syntax than I have for the version I choose to use.

    So what exactly is it you are asking/wanting/trying to accomplish?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, May 19, 2010

    On Wed, 19 May 2010 07:24:23 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I've read the Help file in BGInfo - but can't figure out how to use
    >> Command Line Parameters. When I click on my startup icon, I would
    >> like to invoke certain parameters. The line I came up with is:
    >>
    >> "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe /timer:99 /popup /taskbar
    >> /rtf:C:\DATA\BGINFO /nolicprompt"
    >>
    >> Obviously, this is wrong.
    >>
    >> My Target line reads: "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe"
    >>
    >> My Start in line reads: "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo"
    >>
    >> Please help me by telling me what, exactly, should go in each line.
    >>
    >> I would also like to add lines of information to BGInfo - but that
    >> question will come after I get the above working.
    >>
    >> Thank you........

    >Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> Without testing anything else, I can tell you that your quotation
    >> mark placement needs help...
    >>
    >> "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe" /timer:99 /popup
    >> /taskbar /rtf:C:\DATA\BGINFO /nolicprompt

    > wrote:
    >> PLEASE look at the syntax for using the command line parameters.
    >> The program is very short and easy to download. I know I have
    >> other problems besides the quotation marks - and I would really
    >> like to learn how to use this program. The instructions are in the
    >> HELP file - but I don't understand them. This is a SysInternals
    >> program (now, Microsoft). Thanks..........

    >The quotation marks are syntax for any command line command with long
    >filenames. I pointed that out because you had that syntax wrong.
    >
    >So why aren't you asking in the proper newsgroup, proper place?
    >
    >It looks like you didn't do much of any research on the subject beyond
    >typing in "bginfo /?" at the command line.
    >
    >This is the "microsoft.public.vista general" newsgroup, for general issues
    >with Windows Vista.
    >There is a "microsoft.public.winternals" newsgroup, especially for these
    >products.

    Thank you - I wasn't aware of that.

    >Also:
    >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897557.aspx
    >
    >Where it says, "If you have questions or problems, please visit the
    >Sysinternals BgInfo Forum."
    >( http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=5 )
    >
    >My suggestion is to ask in the proper place and/or try more. It's a limited
    >number of commands and you can use in a command line and you never even
    >*really* said what it was you were trying to get it to do beyond "When I
    >click on my startup icon, I would like to invoke certain parameters" - that
    >is what adding the command line parameters does *if* you add them to the
    >icon in question (what the shortcut points to.) ;-)
    >
    >Your answer (to whatever you want) could also be changed by the version of
    >the BGINFO you are using. I use an older version and my command line *will
    >be* different than yours. In one of my shortcuts I have:
    >
    >bginfo.exe /iq %systemroot%\system32\workstation.bgi /timer:0 /ALL /SILENT
    >
    >Where I have saved a file that has the fields I want to show and I give it
    >the path to that file, change the countdown timer before it loads so that
    >there is none, update the wallpaper for *everyone* that is logged on and
    >report no errors.
    >
    >Your command line seems to be...
    >
    >Running the original (unmodified) bitmap maker (bginfo with default
    >settings) with a 99 second timer for you to stop it from taking effect, a
    >popup window to show you what is going on, placing an icon in the taskbar,
    >writing the background information collected to a Rich Text Format file
    >called "BGINFO" without a file extension in the C:\DATA\ directory all
    >without displaying the license information.
    >
    >However - it's possible you are using a different version with different
    >syntax than I have for the version I choose to use.
    >
    >So what exactly is it you are asking/wanting/trying to accomplish?
    >
    >--
    >Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP

    Thanks - I will try the other sources you suggested. Guess I just
    (almost) automatically use this newsgroup because there are so many
    people knowledgeable in so many subjects (like you). I'm sorry to hear
    that use of the newsgroups is dwindling. I didn't even think of looking
    for a sysinternal forum (I certainly should have). Now I know you could
    help me because you are knowledgeable about BGInfo - but you want me to
    look elsewhere, So I will respect your wishes and do so. Thanks again
    for the help. I take constructive criticism very well.

    , May 19, 2010

    <> wrote:

    >/timer:99 /popup
    >> /taskbar /rtf:C:\DATA\BGINFO /nolicprompt

    PS: I have BGInfo version 4.15

    , May 20, 2010