userform program keeps crashing

K

krynocrl

I am working on a Testing program for the students in my class. I have usedExcel UserForms to create the platform for them to take the tests on. While working in Excel I have encountered many problems with Excel including the program Not Responding when I attempt to save the file. I have just been dealing with this and moving on. Now I am at the point where the program will allow me to make changes, yet when I attempt to save the file I receive an error message as follows:

"Errors were detected while saving 'C:\Users\Clerks\Desktop\Clerk\ConceptReviews\UserformReviews.xlsm'. Microsoft Excel may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel saving the file, click Cancel."

I am familiar with this error message and have dealt with it many times before, but now it will not allow me to save at all, telling me that the file is corrupt, and Excel tried to salvage some of my formulas and formatting. When I open the file that Excel saves to my desktop it has completely erased all VBA UserForms and coding. Essentially Excel is keeping me from savingmy file at all. Are there any suggestions of what I may do to eradicate this problem fully, or any ideas about how I may be able to move forward? I have many hours invested in this program and would like to salvage it, if atall possible. I am running Windows 7 as well as Office 2007. I have plentyof RAM and the problem is not restricted to the current machine I am using.. I have transferred the file to multiple machines with the same end resultevery time. Thank you for any and all help and suggestions.

M

Martin Brown

I am working on a Testing program for the students in my class. I have used Excel UserForms to create the platform for them to take the tests on. While working in Excel I have encountered many problems with Excel including the program Not Responding when I attempt to save the file. I have just been dealing with this and moving on. Now I am at the point where the program will allow me to make changes, yet when I attempt to save the file I receive an error message as follows:

"Errors were detected while saving 'C:\Users\Clerks\Desktop\Clerk\ConceptReviews\UserformReviews.xlsm'. Microsoft Excel may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel saving the file, click Cancel."

I am familiar with this error message and have dealt with it many times before, but now it will not allow me to save at all, telling me that the file is corrupt, and Excel tried to salvage some of my formulas and formatting. When I open the file that Excel saves to my desktop it has completely erased all VBA UserForms and coding. Essentially Excel is keeping me from saving my file at all. Are there any suggestions of what I may do to eradicate this problem fully, or any ideas about how I may be able to move forward? I have many hours invested in this program and would like to salvage it, if at all possible. I am running Windows 7 as well as Office 2007. I have plenty of RAM and the problem is not restricted to the current machine I am using. I have transferred the file to multiple machines with the same end result every time. Thank you for any and all help and suggestions.
If it is XL2007 and you happen to use the wrong features unfortunately
it can sometimes corrupt itself spontaneously. Although I have to say
that user error of some sort is still the more likely cause.

I have only ever had bother with making charts from VBA faster than the
axes could be defined but I expect there are other "interesting" race
conditions lurking and userforms would be another likely candidate.
(this was old code that had worked perfectly from XL97 onwards)

It is worth making sure you have XL2007 fully patched and up to date -
the original out of the box version was truly diabolical.

I hope you have some backups. It is always worth keeping incremental
versions when modifying a complex project. Otherwise you stand to lose a
lot of work if something goes catastrophically wrong.

Best I can suggest is let it save what it can to a new filename and then
open the original and new files and copy an paste the code modules and
other components over from one to the other. If you are very lucky it
will be possible to at least move the VBA code and perhaps all of the
missing components into the resurrected new file.

G

GS

Are you attempting to save while the userform is running? Bad idea!

Why are you using a userform? Can this 'test' not be configured to work
on a sheet?

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

P

Peter T

There could be several reasons but without seeing your workbook and project
could only throw guesses. The file might already be corrupt, or something
else adds corruption afresh, or something related to the what your code is
doing triggers the problem.

Why not upload a non sensitive file to a file sharing site, check the
problem occurs with the uploaded file and give instructions for others to
recreate the problem.

Regards,
Peter T

I am working on a Testing program for the students in my class. I have used
Excel UserForms to create the platform for them to take the tests on. While
working in Excel I have encountered many problems with Excel including the
program Not Responding when I attempt to save the file. I have just been
dealing with this and moving on. Now I am at the point where the program
will allow me to make changes, yet when I attempt to save the file I receive
an error message as follows:

"Errors were detected while saving
'C:\Users\Clerks\Desktop\Clerk\ConceptReviews\UserformReviews.xlsm'.
Microsoft Excel may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some
features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel
saving the file, click Cancel."

I am familiar with this error message and have dealt with it many times
before, but now it will not allow me to save at all, telling me that the
file is corrupt, and Excel tried to salvage some of my formulas and
formatting. When I open the file that Excel saves to my desktop it has
completely erased all VBA UserForms and coding. Essentially Excel is keeping
me from saving my file at all. Are there any suggestions of what I may do to
eradicate this problem fully, or any ideas about how I may be able to move
forward? I have many hours invested in this program and would like to
salvage it, if at all possible. I am running Windows 7 as well as Office
2007. I have plenty of RAM and the problem is not restricted to the current
machine I am using. I have transferred the file to multiple machines with
the same end result every time. Thank you for any and all help and
suggestions.

K

krynocrl

I am working on a Testing program for the students in my class. I have used Excel UserForms to create the platform for them to take the tests on. While working in Excel I have encountered many problems with Excel including the program Not Responding when I attempt to save the file. I have just been dealing with this and moving on. Now I am at the point where the program will allow me to make changes, yet when I attempt to save the file I receive an error message as follows:

"Errors were detected while saving 'C:\Users\Clerks\Desktop\Clerk\ConceptReviews\UserformReviews.xlsm'. Microsoft Excel may be able to save the fileby removing or repairing some features. To make the repairs in a new file,click Continue. To cancel saving the file, click Cancel."

I am familiar with this error message and have dealt with it many times before, but now it will not allow me to save at all, telling me that the file is corrupt, and Excel tried to salvage some of my formulas and formatting.. When I open the file that Excel saves to my desktop it has completely erased all VBA UserForms and coding. Essentially Excel is keeping me from saving my file at all. Are there any suggestions of what I may do to eradicate this problem fully, or any ideas about how I may be able to move forward? Ihave many hours invested in this program and would like to salvage it, if at all possible. I am running Windows 7 as well as Office 2007. I have plenty of RAM and the problem is not restricted to the current machine I am using. I have transferred the file to multiple machines with the same end result every time. Thank you for any and all help and suggestions.

Thank you, Martin. That is what I did, and it worked really well!

Ask a Question