    Could I just hotwire it in some simple way, so that it will be fitting
    of the humble country folk that I am?

    , Nov 28, 2006

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I would like to use a power supply to run a few pc components for
    > purposes other than typical computer usage.
    > That is, I would like to use it without the go-between of a
    > motherboard, and just plug my things directly into the power supply, so
    > that I might run small fart fans and such 24 hours a day.
    > How do I activate the power supply without the remote function of the
    > pc case power button to turn it on?
    > Could I just hotwire it in some simple way, so that it will be fitting
    > of the humble country folk that I am?

    You connect PS_ON# to an adjacent COM (a.k.a GND) pin. Those pins are
    on the main power connector. It helps to have some minimum load on the
    power supply, and a very few power supply labels tell you what that
    minimum load is. A supply should regulate properly with a
    minimum load on it, staying withing the stated output
    when loaded.

    These pictures are looking into the end of the PSU cable. PS_ON
    is the one you want. The first picture is for a 20 pin
    connector, and the second is for a 24 pin connector.

    http://www.pcpower.com/products/assets/S31ATX/S31ATX-S36ATX2.jpg

    http://www.pcpower.com/products/assets/S75Q/S75E-QD2.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 28, 2006