USB to SERIAL

robin

Hi,
I tried to install this cable connector on XP, but Windows Wizard
says that it can't find USB2.0-Ser! on the provided disk.

From what others have written about the same problem,
it seems that HL340 is required.
That EXE file is on the supplied CD.
I executed it, and it seemed to install it, and Wizard is happy with that.
I haven't a serial device to connect, so can't test it.
Has anyone here met this problem, and if so, how did you solve it?
TIA

SC Tom

robin said:
Hi,
I tried to install this cable connector on XP, but Windows Wizard
says that it can't find USB2.0-Ser! on the provided disk.

From what others have written about the same problem,
it seems that HL340 is required.
That EXE file is on the supplied CD.
I executed it, and it seemed to install it, and Wizard is happy with
that.
I haven't a serial device to connect, so can't test it.
Has anyone here met this problem, and if so, how did you solve it?
TIA
If you don't have a serial device to test it, how do you know it doesn't
work? And if you can't tell whether or not it works, how do you know you
have a problem?

philo

SC Tom said:
If you don't have a serial device to test it, how do you know it doesn't
work? And if you can't tell whether or not it works, how do you know you
have a problem?

sheesh

I can not imagine why one would want to add a serial port
when one does not have any hardware to connect.

seems like an excercise in futility

robin

SC Tom wrote in message ...
If you don't have a serial device to test it, how do you know it doesn't
work? And if you can't tell whether or not it works, how do you know you
have a problem?

Did you actually read my post?
I asked if anyone has met this problem, and if so, how did anyone solve it.

SC Tom

*** Replies in-line
robin said:
SC Tom wrote in message ...

*** Then it's not a problem of location.

*** If Windows is happy, then it's not a problem.

*** If you can't test it, then you don't KNOW if you have a problem.

*** What problem???

robin

SC Tom wrote in message ...
*** Replies in-line

*** Then it's not a problem of location.

*** If Windows is happy, then it's not a problem.

*** If you can't test it, then you don't KNOW if you have a problem.

*** What problem???

Of Windows wanting to install USB2.0-Ser!

SC Tom

robin said:
SC Tom wrote in message ...

Of Windows wanting to install USB2.0-Ser!

What is the make and model of your device?
When you plug it into a USB port, look in Device Manager under Ports and see
if it is listed. I have a Trendnet TU-S9 and it is listed as a Prolific
USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMM5). The drivers for it are ser2pl.sys (by
Prolific) and serenum.sys (by MS). So even though it's distributed by
Trendnet, it uses a Prolific interface chip. The newer driver I used came
from Prolific's site, not Trendnet's.

glee

robin said:
SC Tom wrote in message ...

Of Windows wanting to install USB2.0-Ser!

You wrote that you executed another file on the CD and the cable then
installed. If that's the case, then it should no longer be trying to
install "USB2.0-Ser!". Is it still trying to install "USB2.0-Ser!"?
If not, then you no longer have the problem, and don't need assistance.
Please clarify what the CURRENT problem is.

From the description, you executed a different installer and solved the
issue. Windows was most likely asking for "USB2.0-Ser!" because that's
what the original installer's .inf file had listed, probably because of
an error in that .inf file.

If you have no serial device to check if the cable is working, why did
you install the cable in the first place? What's the point of
installing a USB to Serial conversion cable if you have no serial
devices?

robin

glee wrote in message ...
You wrote that you executed another file on the CD and the cable then
installed.

Well, something installed. I can't test it yet.
If that's the case, then it should no longer be trying to
install "USB2.0-Ser!". Is it still trying to install "USB2.0-Ser!"?
No.

If not, then you no longer have the problem, and don't need assistance.

See my first post for query.
Please clarify what the CURRENT problem is.

From the description, you executed a different installer and solved the
issue.

I haven't solved anything.
Windows was most likely asking for "USB2.0-Ser!" because that's
what the original installer's .inf file had listed, probably because of
an error in that .inf file.

If you have no serial device to check if the cable is working, why did
you install the cable in the first place? What's the point of
installing a USB to Serial conversion cable if you have no serial
devices?

The serial device that I wanted to install won't work
from that serial port, and there is no another device here that I can use to test it.

When I get home, I will repeat the install, and can test
with a serial machine.

SC Tom

robin said:
glee wrote in message ...

Well, something installed. I can't test it yet.

See my first post for query.

I haven't solved anything.

The serial device that I wanted to install won't work
from that serial port, and there is no another device here that I can use
to test it.

When I get home, I will repeat the install, and can test
with a serial machine.
If the converter shows up in Device Manager, then you can change the port
number from there. Just plug in the converter- you don't need a serial
device connected to it to do that.

robin

SC Tom wrote in message ...
If the converter shows up in Device Manager, then you can change the port
number from there. Just plug in the converter- you don't need a serial
device connected to it to do that.

I know, That's how XP detects the "new equipment" and invokes the Wizard
to install the software for it.

SC Tom

From: "SC Tom" <[email protected]>

| If the converter shows up in Device Manager, then you can change the
port
| number from there. Just plug in the converter- you don't need a serial
| device connected to it to do that.

Most USB to Serial devices create virtual COM ports. Most COM software
can't work with
virtual ports or ports >COM4.
They want to write directly to the COM[1~4] port

COM1: IRQ4 I/O=3F8
COM2: IRQ3 I/O=2F8
COM3: IRQ4 I/O=3E8
COM4: IRQ3 I/O=2E8
My USB-to-serial converter uses COM5. Unlike a standard serial port, it
doesn't have the IRQ or I/O values in Device Manager, but I can change the
COM number, as long as it's 5 or higher. 1-4 are listed as "in use" even
though I have no serial ports on this motherboard. I use it to connect to my
OBD-II reader and download data from my SUV. Luckily, it doesn't seem to
care what COM port is selected; it still connects just fine.