usb device not recognised

G

i upgraded from w98se to xp home + sp1a on desktop and have installed a usb 2.0 pci card
my 120gb external usb 2 storage device was recognised and worked on w98se although it was running through a 1.1 usb port and tended to over heat and stop working after a while..on reboot it was recognised and worked again so i installed the usb2 card
the card appears to be seated properly and ok as i have tested a usb flash drive and a scanner on it and and checked that they were ok in system\device etc and also that the disk showed up ok on explorer etc
when i plug in the external usb 2 hdd it always says usb device not recognised and it isn't available on explorer, the same message when i plug in an external cd writer and also when i try to daisy chain another usb2 hub even with its own power source...drivers are not automatically installed for them and i can't find any
all of these pieces of equipment work ok on my laptop; also running xp home + sp1.
the rub is that i can add my old belkin usb 1.1 hub (drivers installed first) and then i can run any of the equipment through it although i do get the speed and potential problem message....but they are recognised and work...i can even plug my usb2 hub into it and it is recognised but i can't then plug my usb2 hdd in and have it recognised.
as i said all works ok on xp laptop
the pci\usb 2 card uses via drivers which show up ok in device manager
i have disabled the old usb 1.1 in device manager and also disabled in the bios
in summary..all devicees work ok in xp laptop usb 2 and if plugged into 1.1 hub daisy chained form pci\usb 2 card but aren't recognised if plugged directly into into pci\usb 2 ports
i have tried uninstalling all usb items in device manager and reinstalling etc..but to no avai
can anyone please help with advice

N

Navin R. Johnson

i upgraded from w98se to xp home + sp1a on desktop and have installed a usb 2.0 pci card.
my 120gb external usb 2 storage device was recognised and worked on w98se although it was running through a 1.1 usb port and tended to over heat and stop working after a while..on reboot it was recognised and worked again so i installed the usb2 card.
the card appears to be seated properly and ok as i have tested a usb flash drive and a scanner on it and and checked that they were ok in system\device etc and also that the disk showed up ok on explorer etc.
when i plug in the external usb 2 hdd it always says usb device not recognised and it isn't available on explorer, the same message when i plug in an external cd writer and also when i try to daisy chain another usb2 hub even with its own power source...drivers are not automatically installed for them and i can't find any.
all of these pieces of equipment work ok on my laptop; also running xp home + sp1.
the rub is that i can add my old belkin usb 1.1 hub (drivers installed first) and then i can run any of the equipment through it although i do get the speed and potential problem message....but they are recognised and work...i can even plug my usb2 hub into it and it is recognised but i can't then plug my usb2 hdd in and have it recognised.
as i said all works ok on xp laptop.
the pci\usb 2 card uses via drivers which show up ok in device manager.
i have disabled the old usb 1.1 in device manager and also disabled in the bios.
in summary..all devicees work ok in xp laptop usb 2 and if plugged into 1.1 hub daisy chained form pci\usb 2 card but aren't recognised if plugged directly into into pci\usb 2 ports.
i have tried uninstalling all usb items in device manager and reinstalling etc..but to no avail
can anyone please help with advice

I've seen a lot of problems, such as the one you decribe, when upgrading
from W98SE to WinXP. I have an ADS external firewire drive that refused
to work after I upgraded from 98SE to XP Pro. At first it did work
intermittently, but after a couple of weeks it stopped completely. I
ended up wiping the drive clean and re-installing XP Pro from scratch.
It's been working fine ever since. You might want to try uninstalling
the drivers for the USB2.0 card and go to their website to look for some
official XP drivers. Also, there is a Windows update for USB ports that
may help.

I'm a system reseller and see a constant stream of computers with
various problems due to failed XP upgrades. 99% of the time I end up
reloading XP from scratch. Good luck.

NRJ

G

thanks navin for for your prompt reply
i forgot to add to the prevous that i have had the devices recognised and working on xp upgrade but with a warning message of potential problems due to high speed devices and low speed usb that came as an integral part of the pc...i don't feel that xp per se is the problem...i need drivers...i haven't done a clean reinstall of xp with the new board in situ..trying to avoid that as i have been there before twice and it takes ages to find and reload all my programs etc
the problems all ocurred when i disabled my 1.1 usb ports and introduced the usb2 card...which does work ok but just won't recognise my usb 2 devices unless attached to a daisy chained 1.1 usb hub
the logic of it has me baffled
as you suggested i have downloaded a driver update set from VIA and also from microsoft so i will see what happen
once again thanks for you interest and advice...bri

U

Unknown

Is your 120 gb USB2 compatible?
bri said:
i upgraded from w98se to xp home + sp1a on desktop and have installed a usb 2.0 pci card.
my 120gb external usb 2 storage device was recognised and worked on w98se
although it was running through a 1.1 usb port and tended to over heat and
stop working after a while..on reboot it was recognised and worked again so i
installed the usb2 card.
the card appears to be seated properly and ok as i have tested a usb flash
drive and a scanner on it and and checked that they were ok in system\device
etc and also that the disk showed up ok on explorer etc.
when i plug in the external usb 2 hdd it always says usb device not
recognised and it isn't available on explorer, the same message when i plug in
an external cd writer and also when i try to daisy chain another usb2 hub even
with its own power source...drivers are not automatically installed for them
and i can't find any.
the rub is that i can add my old belkin usb 1.1 hub (drivers installed
first) and then i can run any of the equipment through it although i do get
the speed and potential problem message....but they are recognised and
work...i can even plug my usb2 hub into it and it is recognised but i can't
then plug my usb2 hdd in and have it recognised.
as i said all works ok on xp laptop.
the pci\usb 2 card uses via drivers which show up ok in device manager.
i have disabled the old usb 1.1 in device manager and also disabled in the bios.
in summary..all devicees work ok in xp laptop usb 2 and if plugged into 1.1
hub daisy chained form pci\usb 2 card but aren't recognised if plugged
directly into into pci\usb 2 ports.

G

yes it is..but i made a typo mistake it is 40gb (ntfs formatted) not 120gb (my hdd is 120gb ntfs formatted)
it works ok in xp home usb2 port on my laptop

i have since upgraded flash bios thinking maybe that was cause but same result..still not recognised...i ca see nothing in the cmos to prevent recognition...i.e. usb is enabled

other usb2 devices such as cdr\rw\dvd and a 4xport usb2 hub daisy chained are not recognised either but all work ok on laptop

if i plug in a usb1.1 4xport hub and then plug these usb devices into that they work but it is slowing it down the 40gb drive and causes it to overheat and erase files if too hot.

again a summary...

all my external usb devices work on my usb2 xp home laptop and all drivers are found and installed.

the devices are not recognised by xp home on my desktop...no drivers found and so not installed.

all devices work on desktop if i plug in a usb1.1 4 port hub... drivers are found and installed.

the usb 2 pci card works because some devices work in it ok without the need to daisy chain a usb1.1 4x port hub
e.g. my scanner, modem, printer, pc cam.

if the devices didn't work on my xp laptop i would have no problem assuming faulty non standard devices but they do

i am at a loss now..totally confused and beaten....maybe i should go back to w98se..it did crash occasionally but everything worked on it.

Ask a Question