USB Cable

Hello:

I am trying to copy files from a desktop computer to the hard drive of a
LapTop.
No network is available so facilitate the transfer. Both computers have
accessible USB ports.

* Can I transfer data by connecting these two computers with some
sort of USB cable ?
* Any special name of the cable ?
* What type of issues should I be prepared for ?

Thanks,
John

Jim Macklin

There are USB cables with a built-in hub, they look like a
thin snake with a mouse in the middle. If the computers
have network card ports you can get a CAT 5 cross-over
cable. In either case you will create a simple peer to
peer network. Windows XP has a wizard that will do this for
you.
If you have two USB cables and a USB hub, you can use that
too.

Unless both computers have USB 2.0, the USB will be slow.
If you have NIC with RJ 45 connectors on both computers all
you need to buy is a CAT 5 cross-over cable, which is very
fast and inexpensive. If you don't have a NIC in the
desktop, you can buy a NIC and a cable for little money. It
costs a little more to add a NIC to a laptop.

Bottom-line, you can't just use standard cables to connect
the computers.